New Orleans EMS A&E show! *Video*

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
May I ask why you DC it?

Primary reason is probably because it isn't ours. Crews don't stick around in codes, we usually have plenty staffing to have a full crash room. They wait for a doc and the documenting to be in the room (usually already present on arrival), give report loudly, then are on their way with a signature to boot, Fire in tow. We don't have any to trade with, so LUCAS goes with them, and we take over compressions. Don't be mistaken though, LUCAS comes off at a logical moment (rhythm and/or pulse check) then we take over by hand when compressions are due, then maybe 2 seconds lost by getting the back part out.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Primary reason is probably because it isn't ours. Crews don't stick around in codes, we usually have plenty staffing to have a full crash room. They wait for a doc and the documenting to be in the room (usually already present on arrival), give report loudly, then are on their way with a signature to boot, Fire in tow. We don't have any to trade with, so LUCAS goes with them, and we take over compressions. Don't be mistaken though, LUCAS comes off at a logical moment (rhythm and/or pulse check) then we take over by hand when compressions are due, then maybe 2 seconds lost by getting the back part out.
Huh. Interesting to hear how different places do things. On the rare occasion I have a code that I transport to the ED, we leave the LUCAS in place for as long as they need it. The supervisor or closest district crew will come get it whenever possible for decon and we'll grab a spare LUCAS to go back in service (or be in service briefly without one if necessary).

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Huh. Interesting to hear how different places do things. On the rare occasion I have a code that I transport to the ED, we leave the LUCAS in place for as long as they need it. The supervisor or closest district crew will come get it whenever possible for decon and we'll grab a spare LUCAS to go back in service (or be in service briefly without one if necessary).

As much as I hate to say it, another reason is probably the department's lack of interest in the CE required (despite it being a 30 second powerpoint) to understand, work, and troubleshoot LUCAS effectively. As well, I wouldn't think LUCAS could be in place in the cath lab if that's the end game.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
We use the LUCAS 1 or 2 on all cardiac arrests (fire has them). They are a god send.

@Grimes what hospital are you at again?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
We use the LUCAS 1 or 2 on all cardiac arrests (fire has them). They are a god send.

@Grimes what hospital are you at again?

NAMC main ED (might pick up Pedi this summer, we'll see. Been there yet? It's amazing.). I'm full time summers and winters, then just part time during school. What truck are you on?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I have transported once to the pedi center up there, didnt stick around long but it was nice! I am on 31 and 15, both south trucks, so unless I get north trucks after I clear, then I probably wont be there that much besides OT.

@Grimes

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I have had the misfortune to see the first 2 episodes so far, and in general I think this is an excellent guide for how not to be a paramedic. I can't believe NOEMS allows it to be shown.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
I have had the misfortune to see the first 2 episodes so far, and in general I think this is an excellent guide for how not to be a paramedic. I can't believe NOEMS allows it to be shown.

Dont know your profession or location but im sure a couple episodes of where you work would be reaaaaaal interesting.
It takes a lot to get under my skin, but this comment def did. People forget that from state to state things are different in terms of protocols and operations. IMO, I havent seen anything too disgraceful that NOEMS shouldnt be showing this TV, let me repeat, TV show. Yeah does just a drunk needs lights and sirens? Prob not. Does everyone need to get worked up ALS? No but in reality thats not really a bad thing either. But these are what they are supposed to do whether based on state protocols or operational policies.

You have to remember, its never just a live feed of the call. Its obviously sliced up and thrown in with some "spice", its a TV show man/ma'am. Do everyone a favor then, dont watch it. Problem solved, then you can continue on couch paramedicing episodes of Sirens

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm on episode three, and I actually like it a lot more now. The EMS clichés seem to have been toned down, and they seem to actually be doing decent street medicine.

Last edited:

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Dont know your profession or location but im sure a couple episodes of where you work would be reaaaaaal interesting.
Been there, done that and there were plenty of cringe-worthy moments, but nothing that made me embarrassed to be a medic.

It takes a lot to get under my skin, but this comment def did. People forget that from state to state things are different in terms of protocols and operations. IMO, I havent seen anything too disgraceful that NOEMS shouldnt be showing this TV, let me repeat, TV show. Yeah does just a drunk needs lights and sirens? Prob not. Does everyone need to get worked up ALS? No but in reality thats not really a bad thing either. But these are what they are supposed to do whether based on state protocols or operational policies.

Drunks getting a lights and sirens trip was one of the least offensive things (although it is dangerous and unnecessary). I'm willing to accept that it's a cultural thing that patients get called "babe" or "sugar" or whatever else, however terrible I find it. I can even put up with the appalling "doing the same thing as doctors but at 70mph" rubbish. But I am not sure that regional differences in care account for things like not wearing seatbelts when driving, for ****ing around on scene with penetrating trauma, or for trying to force an ETT down a patient who has airway reflexes (and who, with an empty right ventricle, probably isn't going to benefit from positive pressure ventilation in the first place). The biggest shocker though was the punitive use of naloxone for no apparent clinical need. That is the most disgusting, unprofessional and disgraceful thing I have seen in a very long time.

You have to remember, its never just a live feed of the call. Its obviously sliced up and thrown in with some "spice", its a TV show man/ma'am. Do everyone a favor then, dont watch it. Problem solved, then you can continue on couch paramedicing episodes of Sirens

I know it's not a live feed, but irrespective of editing it is the face of EMS that we allow to be presented to the world. I see so many threads here bemoaning the poor pay that medics receive. If the nonsense displayed on this show is representative of US EMS (and fortunately I know it is not) then it would appear that most medics are probably overpaid as it is. As many of us fight to be recognized as professionals, shows like this do nothing but undermine our position. I won't watch any more episodes, but sadly others will, and we medics all will be tarred with the same brush.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh please, do us all a favor and don't watch then. No one will care.

I won't watch any more episodes, but sadly others will, and we medics all will be tarred with the same brush.

I'm sorry if you like to see your profession depicted as unprofessional, uncaring, and stupid. You may not care, but I do, hence my distaste for the way we are portrayed in this show.

Angel

Paramedic
we must be watching 2 different shows. in any case, thats your opinion, which youve said over and over and over and over again. give it a rest will ya?

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
we must be watching 2 different shows. in any case, thats your opinion, which youve said over and over and over and over again. give it a rest will ya?
Well, once, and then I responded to people who responded to me. That's how a conversation works.

Now that we are having a conversation, rather than assume I know the answer, I will ask you outright: do you think that it is acceptable for medics to act in the ways depicted in the first two episodes of this show? (I can provide timestamps for each of my statements if you like, as I don't believe we are watching different shows)

Do you believe that not wearing a seatbelt when driving around sends a good message to all those watching this show?

Do you believe that attempting to intubate a patient without drugs, whose primary problem is likely to be a lack of circulating voume, is conducive to their survival?

Most importantly, do you believe that appearing to punish a patient by giving naloxone when there is no apparent clinical need to administer the drug, is something a professional would do?

Angel

Paramedic
Your first problem is assuming these people are ambassadors for EMS. In fact, if I can find it I will, but those who have done unsatisfactorily have gotten reprimanded for it. Its not my job nor desire to go around demeaning others in the field who, from what I can tell are good providers. We all make mistakes, no? Theirs just happen to be immortalized on film, (something I have no desire to do) so kudos to them.
And I intubate without drugs all the time, if a patient doesn't have a gag, and needs an airway, im going for it, so whats your point? No RSI for medics in CA my friend.
If you dont like the show thats fine, but you're in the minority and quite honestly getting on the nerves of the rest of us (or me) because of your constant negativity. You are not the authority on New Orleans, or any EMS so why are you on the high horse? People have already commented on the ridiculousness of your comments and yet you continue. Being argumentative for the sake of proving a point (albeit weak) is far more distracting than anything else on this TV SHOW.
Can the rest of us who actually watch and enjoy the show continue our conversation without your remarks? is that ok? I think we all know your stance so.....???

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Your first problem is assuming these people are ambassadors for EMS.

Whether they want to be, or you want them to be, they are indeed ambassadors for EMS. They are on an internationally screened show purporting to show the real life experience of working EMS in New Orleans. Like it or not, they are what people the world over will think of when they think of EMS. And as far as I can see, it paints a very ugly picture.

In fact, if I can find it I will, but those who have done unsatisfactorily have gotten reprimanded for it.
I should hope so.

Its not my job nor desire to go around demeaning others in the field who, from what I can tell are good providers.
How can you tell they are good providers? Provide some examples of what makes them good providers to counter the egregious lack of professionalism I see.

And I intubate without drugs all the time, if a patient doesn't have a gag, and needs an airway, im going for it, so whats your point?
I thought I made my point clear. Intubation without drugs in the patient with multiple gunshot wounds to the torso, who still appears to have intact airway reflexes as depicted in episode 1 at roughly the 8 minute mark (and to be fair, even with drugs) is, in my opinion unlikely to be helpful, and likely to be harmful for the reasons I outlined above. Am I wrong?

If you dont like the show thats fine, but you're in the minority and quite honestly getting on the nerves of the rest of us (or me) because of your constant negativity. You are not the authority on New Orleans, or any EMS so why are you on the high horse? People have already commented on the ridiculousness of your comments and yet you continue. Being argumentative for the sake of proving a point (albeit weak) is far more distracting than anything else on this TV SHOW.
Can the rest of us who actually watch and enjoy the show continue our conversation without your remarks? is that ok? I think we all know your stance so.....???
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that because you don't like my opinion, I should not hold it or make it known. Hmmm.
I have never claimed to be an authority on anything. I merely think that displaying my profession in a poor light is not helpful and undermines the hard work many have put in to being recognized and treated as professionals. If you think my point is weak, you should have no problem in rebutting it. You could start by answering the questions I posed in my last post, which would satisfy my curiosity at least. Or, if you don't want to have a conversation with me, don't.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
get a life.
im done with you.
Too much trouble to answer a few simple questions? Fair enough, I don't mean to tax you so much. Sorry about that. Enjoy the show.