New England EMS

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
How are things in the top-right corner of the CONUS? My old partner moved to MA and loves it, has us considering New England. Vermont, New Hampshire, MA, etc.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
FYI...I have been in Maine since 2016....

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Frisbe hospital had a decent service. Exeter hospital ALS is good. Lots of opportunities in NH.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Any of you find it interesting how the same suspects follow similar trajectories?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Started in Massachusetts, pay was pretty decent compared to many private employers around the country. Lots of small-medium suburban towns doing ALS transporting fire. A couple of good looking third services but with long wait times to get on with. I think the overall care is ok, but nothing earth shattering. It's only been in the last ten years that ALS ambulances could be staffed not with two paramedics.

I'd love to work in Maine, but just looking around at FF/PM jobs in cities and seeing that it would be a pay cut from a cheaper part of Colorado kind of shut that down.

Vermont has only had ground paramedics in significant numbers for 10ish years so there are some intriguing options there. I could see myself someday heading for there once I've (hopefully) had some solid supervisory experience.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Whenever I become frustrated with “the grind”, and workplace policies, I like to imagine myself on a flycar working for Exeter EMS with sharp, like-minded individuals such as @NomadicMedic.

Pretty much this.
Apparently, thanks to stellar HR work, I don’t have health insurance, but am paying for it. Quite handsomely, and the “five business days” estimated timeline to resolve the situation has been...less than accurate. It’s minor and petty, but I’m pretty over it.

@akflightmedic , I’m sort of a nomad by nature. If I had to put out a weakness, it’s that I don’t tend to stick around when significantly silly things or frustrations come into the party if those things impact my enjoyment of the role. I know the -p opens doors and is very portable and I’ve used that, with mixed results. That’s not to say I can’t handle adversity, but it is to say that I don’t typically commit to an employer wholeheartedly (after being burned in the past) and I’m not particularly tolerant of problems that are silly in nature...like Schrodinger’s Insurance. Or stand-up 24-hour operations with no fatigue management. I don’t see it as a negative to move on from those jobs, particularly if they serve their purpose on my end. After all, if they want quality people to stick around, they’d listen to why those people left and change it (but that isn’t their goal so they don’t care).

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, I was not judging anyone with my comments...was just making an observation and actually quite happy there are others like me. :)

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Oh, I was not judging anyone with my comments...was just making an observation and actually quite happy there are others like me. :)

Ah that makes sense!

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

So... NH and VT. What’s up with those two? Like, weather and stuff?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So... NH and VT. What’s up with those two? Like, weather and stuff?
I can’t tell you much about the EMS scenes there, but I love that part of the country. Especially NH.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

How is the cost of living?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
How is the cost of living?
Higher than Texas. Property taxes get you. But overall not too bad; cheaper than many parts of the country.

Just a beautiful region if you like having all four seasons and being quiet and rural, yet only a few hour drive to mega places like Boston and NYC.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
NH was our first choice, but there was more opportunity for work in PA I love the weather and people in NH.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Whenever I become frustrated with “the grind”, and workplace policies, I like to imagine myself on a flycar working for Exeter EMS with sharp, like-minded individuals such as @NomadicMedic.
That's how I am on a regular basis... And with local drama, I've damn near got the fiance to get over her snow aversion and go back to the northeast

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

That's how I am on a regular basis... And with local drama, I've damn near got the fiance to get over her snow aversion and go back to the northeast

I am weighing Texas, NM, CA or the Northeast

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Man, even the “Texas Boys” are getting fed up with what they once toted?o_O

I’m gonna go ahead and stick to my mantra that this job ends at the BioClock for me...at least.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Higher than Texas. Property taxes get you. But overall not too bad; cheaper than many parts of the country.

Just a beautiful region if you like having all four seasons and being quiet and rural, yet only a few hour drive to mega places like Boston and NYC.
No income (mostly) or sales tax in New Hampshire. State run liquor stores are always a stop at the border on the way back to anywhere from NH.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am just slowly growing my own service...give me another 18-24 months and I will start recruiting all ya'll like minded individuals. I have already made waves in this state and I intend to rock the boat much harder. So disappointed at how bass ackwards it is, and as always, if I want it done right, I will do it myself.