NEW EMT-B confused

eprieto

Forum Probie
I'm a new Emt and am wondering if i shud begin send applications right away or if i shud try to build up my resume with volunteer work? and what kind of volunteer work would benefit me the most? im in the bay area and need advice.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Why not start doing both? It might be a good idea to gain some experience volunteering while waiting for someone to give you a call on an application. I'm not familiar with the Bay area, but it's always a good idea to research the reputation of any organization that you are considering volunteering your time with, to ensure that your volly time looks good on your application, as opposed to scaring potential employers away.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
and what kind of volunteer work would benefit me the most?

Literacy programs?? Teaching adults to read would be a start only because my experience as an instructor has shown me that every time I teach, I learn something new...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Literacy program??

Yes, when you teach people to read properly, you can not help but pick up proper spelling, grammar and better overall communication skills.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
In a nutshell, it means if you wish to be perceived as a professional, one should make an effort to spell correctly, at least when posting in an online forum.

I'm certainly not a grammar/spelling Nazi, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

GirevikMedic

Forum Crew Member
It may not be important to the information asked but I believe the point being made its that proper spelling and grammar are important factors to be considered - especially if the OP's resume shows similar spelling and grammar. Afterall, written communication/documentation is just as important to our field as interpersonal interaction and verbal skills.

As for the OP's question... I'm not familiar with the Bay Area and there's really no volly services in my area but I would still agree with what's already been advised. Do both at the same time. Even if it's only a couple of months, it is still experience that you can claim. That's never a bad thing when considering the competition for EMT positions due to saturation of job market.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yes. And as I asked earlier, what do spelling errors have to do with the information that the OP was requesting?

He was asking about resumes... resumes for a job... a job that requires writing in the English language. If you can't even use proper English and grammar on a resume, good luck getting a professional job.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
He was asking about resumes... resumes for a job... a job that requires writing in the English language. If you can't even use proper English and grammar on a resume, good luck getting a professional job.

True, but people often communicate differently on the Internet than they do in a professional environment. While I agree that good writing habits on the Internet tend to carry over into other writings, that does not mean that bad writing habits necessarily transfer over as well.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
In a nutshell, it means if you wish to be perceived as a professional, one should make an effort to spell correctly, at least when posting in an online forum.

Sorry, but I don't see what an anonymous online forum posting has to do with the OP being perceived as professional when looking for a job, unless they plan to bring their post with them to their interview.

Furthermore, I see no value in some of the comments that were made, nor are they friendly or welcoming to a new forum member. :)

EMSrush

Forum Captain

The OP was asking if they should do volunteer work so that they could add it to their resume. They were also looking for recommendations regarding the type of volunteer work that might benefit them. That's not the same as requesting someone to proof read their resume... or their forum posting.

Perhaps they were sending their post from their phone, where it can be a bit more challenging to use correct spelling if you are trying to send a quick message. I wouldn't judge anyone's command over the English language based on a forum post or text message, that's for sure.