NEW EMT-B confused

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
I sent out my application to 3 of the closest providers, the 4th wasn't accepting apps for EMT-Bs. After a few months I scheduled a ride day with a combo agency (start out volly, then possible paid position), and then received a call from my agency of choice.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I can spell for those who are confused, I didn't think it'd be an issue here?:huh:

Have you ever heard the joke Jeff Foxworthy tells about why neurosurgeons from the south have such a tough time? It's not that they are any less intelligent than docs trained elsewhere, but no one wants to put their life in the hands of someone who talks like: "Alright, now what we gonna do is....SAAAAAWWWW the top of yer head off, root 'round wit' a stick and see if we can't find that dag burned clot. OK?". Most people would be like, "No thanks, I think I'll just die."

mcdonl

Forum Captain
What does that have to do with the information that the OP was requesting?

An EMT is only as good as his/her ability to communicate. If I saw "shud" on a resume I would laugh, and not even give them a second chance. When a call is done, the only evidence that remains is our run report. I take pride in my run reports.

Besides, shud? Really? My stomach turns at "prolly" and "kewl" but shud?

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSrush

Forum Captain
An EMT is only as good as his/her ability to communicate. If I saw "shud" on a resume I would laugh, and not even give them a second chance. When a call is done, the only evidence that remains is our run report. I take pride in my run reports.

Besides, shud? Really? My stomach turns at "prolly" and "kewl" but shud?

I agree with you regarding the importance of proper communication. I'm glad to hear that you take pride in your reporting skills, but this is not a run report or a resume. It's a forum.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Firefox does spell check while you type on the internet. I'm rather dyslexic and it keeps me from writing pure mangled garbage. :)

Also, the OP wants a job in CA. There's a lot of people here who work in CA, maybe some of you would know of an opening he could apply for. I don't know if I'd be addressing people who work where I want to work with crazy spelling.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm rather dyslexic and it keeps me from writing pure mangled garbage.

Are you actually dyslexic or are you simply hiding behind a learning disability to provide an excuse for a deficiency? Saying oneself is "rather dyslexic" to cover for a failure to learn how to spell or use proper grammar is a bit like saying you are "rather Downsy" in an effort to excuse a low IQ, macroglossia (and not in the badass Gene Simmons sort of way), receding chinline, wideset eyes, prominent epicanthic folds, stubby arms and legs and a flabby physique. In other words, if you would not hide behind being labeled a mentally retarded person to excuse being really ugly and quite dull, then please don't use a disability a lot of intelligent folks suffer with to try to explain your flubs.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Are you actually dyslexic or are you simply hiding behind a learning disability to provide an excuse for a deficiency? Saying oneself is "rather dyslexic" to cover for a failure to learn how to spell or use proper grammar is a bit like saying you are "rather Downsy" in an effort to excuse a low IQ, macroglossia (and not in the badass Gene Simmons sort of way), receding chinline, wideset eyes, prominent epicanthic folds, stubby arms and legs and a flabby physique. In other words, if you would not hide behind being labeled a mentally retarded person to excuse being really ugly and quite dull, then please don't use a disability a lot of intelligent folks suffer with to try to explain your flubs.

Nope. Really am. The "rather" was my attempt to place where I am on that spectrum.
I have a few other labels which explain some of the other stuff I do, too.

Not that it applies any more, but I have my old IEP (among other documentation) filed away.

I don't view the dyslexia (or the other labels) as something to be ashamed of or an excuse. But they help people understand why I talk, write, do math, and move the way I do. So I bring them up when its pertinent. I don't have adults making adaptations for me anymore- I do them for my self and sometimes they're useful to other people too. Like the fact that Firefox will spell check.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. Really am. The "rather" was my attempt to place where I am on that spectrum.
I have a few other labels which explain some of the other stuff I do, too.

Not that it applies any more, but I have my old IEP (among other documentation) filed away.

I don't view the dyslexia (or the other labels) as something to be ashamed of or an excuse. But they help people understand why I talk, write, do math, and move the way I do. So I bring them up when its pertinent. I don't have adults making adaptations for me anymore- I do them for my self and sometimes they're useful to other people too. Like the fact that Firefox will spell check.

Duly noted. I'm a little defensive because one of my best friends growing up was severely dyslexic and it annoys me when people claim it just so they have an "excuse" for being lazy or stupid. I hope you didn't take any offense at what I said.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Duly noted. I'm a little defensive because one of my best friends growing up was severely dyslexic and it annoys me when people claim it just so they have an "excuse" for being lazy or stupid. I hope you didn't take any offense at what I said.

Oh, I did but Ill survive. You're hardly the first person who thought they were going to be clever and call me out on it. ;)

Anyways, its never worth it to yell back at people on the internet. I figured id see what else you had to say.

I teach school, remember? I've had kids in my room with a lot of labels-I don't take any of it lightly. Until taking my own labels lightly will get a kid to buy in to what I'm teaching. I keep a copy of my IEP in my desk to wave at them when they pull the "but I'm special ed so I don't have to..." card. I can be extremley flippant about my LD, and it doesn't always translate well to people without labels.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, I am but Ill survive. You're hardly the first person who thought they were going to be clever and call me out on it.

I wasn't trying to be clever. You don't seem to have that much of an issue so I thought you were FOS.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
I wasn't trying to be clever.

Ok. :)

You don't seem to have that much of an issue so I thought you were FOS.

Its the internet. There's a lot about everyone that isn't apparent. Without typing, the spell check, and my little laminated list of words that I never managed to force into my brain, it would be pretty clear. I still don't catch it all, which never fails to make the forum (not just this one) grammar police pissy at me. Guess I haven't posted enough here for that pattern to come up.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with you regarding the importance of proper communication. I'm glad to hear that you take pride in your reporting skills, but this is not a run report or a resume. It's a forum.

Have said it before and will say it again...while it is a forum, it is a professional forum. We self police in order to display/portray intelligence, professionalism, pride...whatever you want to call it, but there will be no shortcuts here and juvenile language.

The majority of us are trying to elevate EMS to where it should be, to increase the standards, to achieve for all of us what we think we deserve; however that comes with a price which is organizing and being professional.

Yes we can still relax and chill out but we do not have to present ourselves as 12 year olds to accomplish it.

Keep posting like one has no education and see how long one lasts.

I challenge you to go to any RN forum, PA forum or Physician forum and report back to me how many communicate to each other in "text speak"...if any do, please tell me what the responses were.

And FYI, I understand the dyslexia as I have dealt with it for years, I have wrote about it before. If I can write properly, then someone with no issue should be more than able to express themselves without typing phonetically or using any other ignorant text shortcuts.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
...whatever you want to call it, but there will be no shortcuts here and juvenile language.

Are you serious? Who in the world gave you ultimate spell check regulatory power? You think nitpicking over forum spelling mistakes portrays you in a positive light? No shortcuts, huh? Does that include abbreviations? How about acronyms?

Yes, you're certainly proving a point, but it has little to do with spelling or grammar.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

I can not believe I just got that joke. And FYI I didn't lol, but I groaned.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Oh, and just to add, I have mild dyslexia (my brother's is quite severe, so I got lucky). I don't usually have problems except for in two situations. When numbers and letters get mixed together (like algebra) and when words don't look how they are supposed to. I look at words like they are little pictures, and when the picture doesn't look right I get tripped up. To me trying to read misspelled words and bad grammar is like looking through a photo album with all the faces missing and trying to identify people.