New CA EMS State Registry online.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
So there has been a lot of threads lately about EMS jobs, wages and so on. I can understand why a little easier now, especially here in California. Some may know or not know, but CA finally implemented their state wide registry system and it's now searchable. I recently came across this information from their official facebook page...

"Based upon the new State EMT Central Registry, we are showing that there are 51,753 EMTs that have an active certificate. And there may be a few more, based upon some data that will need to be reconciled next week. Check out the Verification page."

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/
http://www.centralregistry.ca.gov/

That's pretty crazy. So many active people. Imagine if half of the active are employed, say 25k, and then half of the remaining people are looking for either full-time or part-time employment. That's 12.5k active job seekers for an EMT position in CA.

I'm looking forward to getting my State wide card though, haha.

JPINFV

Gadfly
One thing to beweare of with those numbers is that if an individual has two certifications (say, LA Co and OC certs or OC cert and State Fire Marshal's cert), then they'll be in the system twice. It's not everyone, but I imagine that the duplicates are a substantial number.

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
One thing to beweare of with those numbers is that if an individual has two certifications (say, LA Co and OC certs or OC cert and State Fire Marshal's cert), then they'll be in the system twice. It's not everyone, but I imagine that the duplicates are a substantial number.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that problem was addressed when they were inputting the information.

For example I specifically have more than one County certification and I'm only listed once with the first County that issued my certification listed as the certifying entity.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
That should explain to new prospective emt on how hard it will be to find a job.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that problem was addressed when they were inputting the information.

For example I specifically have more than one County certification and I'm only listed once with the first County that issued my certification listed as the certifying entity.

It might not be completely fixed. For example, when I searched for people who lived in the city I grew up in (Fountain Valley), on the first page there's 3 double entries, 2 with different LEMSA licenses and one who has a current active paramedic license with an expired EMT license.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know why (would like to know) but when I check my County EMSA, it has only Paramedic's listed, but no EMTs. So, obvioulsy, the registry does not reflect all the EMTs in CA.

Joe

Forum Captain
Yea that's odd, may have to do with medics being licenced and emt's being registered. The state keeps track of lic. Dunno tho just speculation. I'm not listed anywhere

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Yea that's odd, may have to do with medics being licenced and emt's being registered. The state keeps track of lic. Dunno tho just speculation. I'm not listed anywhere

it shows both medics and emt's, are you sure you're searching correctly?

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Naw... there be something wrong with this database... something to be expected in California.

When I search by County only Medics appear (Medics I know), but no EMT's appear except for one who reads as "pending". Trust me, we have a lot of EMTs locally, including me.

When I search by number (mine), nothing shows up statewide.

When I search by name (mine), I do appear, but it shows me as having my EMT from Feb 2005 to Dec 2007. However, I have had my EMT officially since Dec 2001 and I am current until Dec 2011. I tried inputting several of my Medical SAR Team Members and the expirations dates are all over the place. As Medical Team Leader and Team Training Officer I have copies of all their certifications (as does the FIRE and AMBULANCE agencies they work for) and I KNOW they are all current. WTF?

Depending on how you search you get different information; often incorrect as far as I have seen. California EMS... gotta love it... :rolleyes:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Naw... there be something wrong with this database... something to be expected in California.

When I search by County only Medics appear (Medics I know), but no EMT's appear except for one who reads as "pending". Trust me, we have a lot of EMTs locally, including me.

When I search by number (mine), nothing shows up statewide.

When I search by name (mine), I do appear, but it shows me as having my EMT from Feb 2005 to Dec 2007. However, I have had my EMT officially since Dec 2001 and I am current until Dec 2011. I tried inputting several of my Medical SAR Team Members and the expirations dates are all over the place. As Medical Team Leader and Team Training Officer I have copies of all their certifications (as does the FIRE and AMBULANCE agencies they work for) and I KNOW they are all current. WTF?

Depending on how you search you get different information; often incorrect as far as I have seen. California EMS... gotta love it... :rolleyes:

I was doing search only by name...wasn't opening them to see if the info was correct. I see what you are talk about now that i opened some of the search that i did...i guess it's welcome to California :D

JPINFV

Gadfly
Or... it's a system that has been public for what, less than a week? Yea, California's not perfect, but how many program launches go perfectly?

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Or... it's a system that has been public for what, less than a week? Yea, California's not perfect, but how many program launches go perfectly?

Granted... although considering that this system is new, shouldn't they have compiled all the EMTs and Medics in the state BEFORE half-azzing it? Creates confusion in a state with too much already... :p

If anyone is interested:

From my local EMSA:

If you have a current card issued by the County, you will be recognized statewide. The State is still trying to work the bugs out of the Registry; there was a mass import of data from every EMS Agency in the state, including ours. I will confirm that our data has been entered into the Registry.

From the State to my local EMSA:

We are experiencing issues with data and are working on resolving those issues. If you have specific data inaccuracies please list those and forward them to us.

What this means is simple: Everything should be worked out by the time we are trying to recall Meg Wittman... LOL

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Im in the system twice..

One for Orange County and the other for LA County...