New basic, what should I bring with me?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Also should consider bringing schnaks if you already didn't get that memo. Forget everything else, but don't forget the almighty schnaks!

CALEMT

Did someone forget to mention to bring schnaks?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
scooby-doo-scooby-snacks-188391-1280x0.jpg

OhItzJimmy

Forum Crew Member
Like a bp cuff... no need to go out and buy something that should already be stocked on your rig in the first place.
Most of the rigs I've been on, the cuffs weren't working properly & you shouldn't have to go buy a set since your EMT school/program should have made you get one already.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Most of the rigs I've been on, the cuffs weren't working properly
Sounds like you need to talk with your supply tech, supervisors, or both. If all else fails, try a better service:).

CALEMT

Most of the rigs I've been on, the cuffs weren't working properly & you shouldn't have to go buy a set since your EMT school/program should have made you get one already.

I think you're missing the point. The point is your service should provide you with the tools to do your job.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That should not be the case. If they are not working properly you need to talk to you supply people and/or toss the broken ones and get new ones.

My EMT program did not have us buy B/P cuffs. Now that I am teaching for that same EMT program we still do not require students to buy them. We have approx 50 new B/P cuffs in storage and 20 that are currently being used.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Shouldn't be the case - you should escalate this problem. BP cuffs are a critical piece of equipment.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If your cuff's aren't working properly, than they should be taken out of service. I can't imagine any ambulance would pass department of health standards without a working BP cuff.

Also, you shouldn't have to purchase your own BP cuff for EMT class. Your own stethoscope, sure, but not your own cuff.

As an aside, I think everyone on the ambulance should own their own stethoscope, but that doesn't mean the agency shouldn't provide one for your kit in case you leave yours at home.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
.As an aside, I think everyone on the ambulance should own their own stethoscope, but that doesn't mean the agency shouldn't provide one for your kit in case you leave yours at home.
I do prefer my own set, though this could be in part to my aging ears as well.