Need Feedback: Rural/Metro Buffalo, NY & Twin City Ambulance

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
How would you go about evaluating a prospective employer to make sure they're not fly-by night? I'm considering two employers (both of which have 911 contracts for two nearby metro areas), and I want to go about ensuring that they're as good as, say, the municipal and hospital-based providers I'm most familiar with.

Any particular things I should look at? Maybe ask around casually?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If you have a contact that works EMS in the area they'll be able to tell you. Better yet, share the names here and have our members provide feedback.

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If you have a contact that works EMS in the area they'll be able to tell you. Better yet, share the names here and have our members provide feedback.

Makes sense to me! Thanks!

I'm in Buffalo, NY, and the two are Rural/Metro (which is all over the country, I know, so I'm assuming that there's some regional variation) and Twin City Ambulance. Both of them have rigs ranging from rusted out to pristine, and from the few folks I've spoken to, Twin City seems to have the better reputation, but they don't cover the city of Buffalo for 911, just two of the larger suburbs.

terrible one

Always wandering
I have no experience with R/M and I realize they are different in each region they operate in, however, I have heard few positive things about the company after talking with several employees. If you interested in their operation I would do heavy investigating before jumping in.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Makes sense to me! Thanks!

I'm in Buffalo, NY, and the two are Rural/Metro (which is all over the country, I know, so I'm assuming that there's some regional variation) and Twin City Ambulance. Both of them have rigs ranging from rusted out to pristine, and from the few folks I've spoken to, Twin City seems to have the better reputation, but they don't cover the city of Buffalo for 911, just two of the larger suburbs.

We've got a Twin Cities guy who moved down our way for a better scope, and I've got a friend who works at Twin Cities now. I don't know what your practice environment is like, but it seems like they're fairly comparable to the current national standards (not quite as hands free as here in NC).

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
We've got a Twin Cities guy who moved down our way for a better scope, and I've got a friend who works at Twin Cities now. I don't know what your practice environment is like, but it seems like they're fairly comparable to the current national standards (not quite as hands free as here in NC).

When I was down in CT, it was pretty restrictive. WNY is an upgrade as far as scope is concerned. It looks like WNY does compare to national standards, but like you said, definitely behind NC (so is most of the country, though). Any idea if he likes it at Twin City?

DavidM

Forum Probie
Both companies are reputable. You already pointed out the major difference R/M had the city's 911 contract while Twin Cities only had 2 of the suburbs.

I can only speak for r/m but they run ALS trucks and BLS trucks in a super busy system. The pay sucks but there are tons of calls and the volume means that as a basic there you will bring in calls that would normally have been ALS but you got them because the system was busy. At R/M you'll be part of the union which takes some of your already sub-optimal pay but in return there are some nice perks. One guy I worked with told me the night shift guys get 30 min off to sleep at the hospital after they clear a call. From what I've been told the people there are pretty awesome and its always possible to get OT hours. I will say that every single R/M operation is different but from what I've been told by people I've worked with the WNY operation is pretty good.

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
Epi - Sorry I didn't speak up sooner, I just saw this thread now. I live in that area and work for R/M Buffalo. If you haven't made a decision yet or want more info, shoot me a PM.

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Epi - Sorry I didn't speak up sooner, I just saw this thread now. I live in that area and work for R/M Buffalo. If you haven't made a decision yet or want more info, shoot me a PM.

No worries! PM sent!