Need Advice

OhItzJimmy

Forum Crew Member
I been working for a IFT Company for a few weeks now, the company seems like its just in it for the business, some PT told me no attendant ever does VS they just copy the old PCRs, some of the EMTs I work with argue with the PT & dialysis tech (always rushing), some of the EMTs act like they walk on water, is this how companies are?

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I wish I had a penny for every time I've hears a SNF nurse and dialysis tech tell me, "not my patient", so sometimes a few encouraging words are said at dialysis but I wouldn't agree with arguing.

DE said it best, and unfortunately the best you can do is focus on doing the right thing yourself and don't fall into their habits

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I wish I had a penny for every time I've hears a SNF nurse and dialysis tech tell me, "not my patient", so sometimes a few encouraging words are said at dialysis but I wouldn't agree with arguing.

If you ask someone for information on a patient they aren't assigned to, aren't responsible for, and quite possibly don't know anything about, then "not my patient" is pretty much the only rational response.

What do you say in the ED when a nurse or doc comes up and starts asking you about a patient that a different EMS crew brought in?

squirrel15

Forum Captain
If you ask someone for information on a patient they aren't assigned to, aren't responsible for, and quite possibly don't know anything about, then "not my patient" is pretty much the only rational response.

What do you say in the ED when a nurse or doc comes up and starts asking you about a patient that a different EMS crew brought in?

You're correct it would be a rational response, until they take patient care 10 minutes later, or all of a sudden know the patient by heart and are able to give a full medical history on them.

OP
OP
OhItzJimmy

OhItzJimmy

Forum Crew Member
We picked up a PT & from the beginning my partner was arguing nonstop with the PT, when I was attending the Pt she seemed very nice, when we arrived at our destination my partner was in a rush to drop the Pt off, but the dialysis tech weren't ready for us, which I understood but my partner didnt so words were exchanged but the dialysis tech was calm & nice to me, I just stayed out of the argument. Then when we had a different PT my partner pretty much went Code 3 (no lights or siren, just speeding) so we can drop the pt off and pick another pt up. Apparently 1 of our bosses approved speeding. This company sets PT pickup times overlapping each other so we've been late to a few calls.... Theres more but tired of typing......Today just wasnt a good day.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Your partner sounds burnt and company shady. Start shopping around for a new company. That's going to be your daily grind. As Tyler Durden says, "This is your life...doesn't get any better than this."

You went to EMT school to run ems calls not drive a Taxi. Care needs a bunch of people. Schaefer is in your area.

OP
OP
OhItzJimmy

OhItzJimmy

Forum Crew Member
Your partner sounds burnt and company shady. Start shopping around for a new company. That's going to be your daily grind. As Tyler Durden says, "This is your life...doesn't get any better than this."

You went to EMT school to run ems calls not drive a Taxi. Care needs a bunch of people. Schaefer is in your area.
It was the first time I worked with my partner today, she/he been an EMT for 4 months, I'm about 1 month into this company, I want to do 6 months just for the credibility, but lately this company has been urging me to quit. I don't mind attending Pt, but it's extremely hard when the driver turns to hard and hits bumps at full speed, I can see the Pt expressions as well.

Steely

Forum Ride Along
Trying to decide if I want to do the emt and than peramedic or if I want to go ahead and do the emt and then the ems please help

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
That isn't EMS, that is non emergency medical transport. Don't group them in with EMS

JohnTheEMT

Forum Crew Member
Do yourself a favor and apply somewhere else. Many emts that work for these small mom&pops companies arent the best. You will have partners that dont give a ***** about you or your patient. Like someone else said, you went to emt school to run 911 calls, but working for a 911 provider will occasionally have you do IFT calls. Do what i did, I worked for a IFT company ,Do it for 6 months. Gain the experience of driving a ambulance and try to pick up shifts off a CCT rig. you will learn more on a CCT than a BLS rig. or you can apply at AMR or Schaefer and see what EMS is really about. You will loose your skills fast if you choose to stay at where you are.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
There's no reason to stay for 6 months. There's no credibility in an IFT company no one has heard of, or worse, they know the **** reputation of.
Apply everywhere with a 911 contract, check out the SoCal EMS thread for some credible, larger IFT companies in LA, and look outside of the county in Kern, San Bernardino, Ventura, and Riverside. Don't waste your time with this place.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
There's no reason to stay for 6 months. There's no credibility in an IFT company no one has heard of, or worse, they know the **** reputation of.
Apply everywhere with a 911 contract, check out the SoCal EMS thread for some credible, larger IFT companies in LA, and look outside of the county in Kern, San Bernardino, Ventura, and Riverside. Don't waste your time with this place.
Explorer1 needs people [emoji6]

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
...I want to do 6 months just for the credibility, but lately this company has been urging me to quit.

I used to subscribe to the "l'll do six months to show stability" Way of thinking. I understand if you want to show job stability for future employers like PD or fire, but private EMS in LA doesn't care. You start talking to the old timers and they've been everywhere. One guy at my station is a holdover from the days of Adams Ambulance. There are still guys floating around in the field that worked at Crippen. Crippen!!

Unless your company has some sort of advancement, BLS/Medic/CCT/NICU/PICU cars, there's no reason to hang around. In a few weeks you'll have learned all you can from the renal rodeo. As much fun as I had with the bruit and thrill of a PT's shunt, even that gets old.

Land somewhere that has some credibility where you can actually do some learning. I was taught so much about this job and medicine from squared away medics and CCT RN's. You're much better off spending more time on those shifts than sleeping in the fire lane next to the Quiznos across from Exposition Park.

If you're at all familiar with off-roading, private EMS in LA is a silt bed. Be ever moving forward. Don't lose focus on where you're trying to go. Never stop learning and acquiring new skills, because if you let off that gas and lose momentum, you'll get stuck and it may take a long time to dig yourself out and get moving again.

I see these crews cruising around in blown out orange and white rigs with big 800 numbers on the side and think, "Guys, why?"