Need Advice

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The longer you swim in a cesspool, the sicker you get and the stupider you look.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to subscribe to the "l'll do six months to show stability" Way of thinking. I understand if you want to show job stability for future employers like PD or fire, but private EMS in LA doesn't care. You start talking to the old timers and they've been everywhere. One guy at my station is a holdover from the days of Adams Ambulance. There are still guys floating around in the field that worked at Crippen. Crippen!!

Unless your company has some sort of advancement, BLS/Medic/CCT/NICU/PICU cars, there's no reason to hang around. In a few weeks you'll have learned all you can from the renal rodeo. As much fun as I had with the bruit and thrill of a PT's shunt, even that gets old.

Land somewhere that has some credibility where you can actually do some learning. I was taught so much about this job and medicine from squared away medics and CCT RN's. You're much better off spending more time on those shifts than sleeping in the fire lane next to the Quiznos across from Exposition Park.

If you're at all familiar with off-roading, private EMS in LA is a silt bed. Be ever moving forward. Don't lose focus on where you're trying to go. Never stop learning and acquiring new skills, because if you let off that gas and lose momentum, you'll get stuck and it may take a long time to dig yourself out and get moving again.

I see these crews cruising around in blown out orange and white rigs with big 800 numbers on the side and think, "Guys, why?"
Whats wrong with Adams and Crippen!?!?! LOL those were some damn fine companies! Risher too! Thats when ems was ems! [emoji1]

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Nothing is wrong with them. I heard Crippen was a good company. They were one of the first buyouts and closed up around 1992. It just blows my mind that there are still guys pushing a rig around LA who worked there. That's almost 25 years in field. In LA.

I miss the days when owners slapped their name on the side of the rig. You have to have some pride in your company when your vehicles and employees are wearing your name.

Now it's all MedTransLifeCoastReachGentleCarePinappleSamaritanExpressAmbuPhoenixDialysisBro-1 Ambulance and it makes me sad.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing is wrong with them. I heard Crippen was a good company. They were one of the first buyouts and closed up around 1992. It just blows my mind that there are still guys pushing a rig around LA who worked there. That's almost 25 years in field. In LA.

I miss the days when owners slapped their name on the side of the rig. You have to have some pride in your company when your vehicles and employees are wearing your name.

Now it's all MedTransLifeCoastReachGentleCarePinappleSamaritanExpressAmbuPhoenixDialysisBro-1 Ambulance and it makes me sad.
Well why do you think people like Bowers, Mcormick and Schaefer so much? Brand names around since the 1920's. When you have Russian and Armenian owners which own a large part of those companys theres generally alot of mistrust due to the effect of the late 80's move to America. There was and still is alot of Russian/Armenian mob ownership in the ambulance industry in Los Angeles. Shady back door deals and one bad apple ruins the bunch. But with all the Medlife,Ambulife,Translife etc names they are generally the same owners they just got shut down learned from there mistakes and started all over again. Look at medlife, lifeline, Alpha, transaid, gcti. You do a google search and nothing but bad press tied to russian/armenian names.