Am I wrong

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

JK773

Forum Probie
Hello every healthcare professional out there. My name is Joe. Currently I work for a private transfer EMS company with some little back up 911 for my city. I have some 911 experience but since I moved the drivenis to far for a volunteer company, anyway this is my situation. Hopefully there are many suggestions out there.

Recently I have had the need and want to get out of my transfer life which I have been apart of for 5 years and go down the 911 route. We live in a city with a big BLS 911 contract. Excellent opportunity right ? The answer is yes. Not for my wife.

She understands that I want to be a medic but I can't be a good one with only transfer experience no need the 911. So I get the interview set up for my 911 company and she freaks. " You just want to load narcan in people "....yeah who doesn't was my reply Yes I want to work more arrests and shootings or stabbings and I need the experience for it all to become a great experienced composed Medic.

Thanks
Joe

Summit

Critical Crazy
Maybe that's her issue. Or maybe that is what she is saying and there is another issue. So try to talk through that.

If it is really just that you would be 911, maybe watch some Emergency! with her... or Scrubs...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
First thing my wife and I did after getting married was go see a marriage counselor. Best thing we ever did!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I feel like there's more to this than just IFT vs 911. Is the schedule different? Pay different? Are you going to have to move? Otherwise why does she care that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Hello every healthcare professional out there. My name is Joe. Currently I work for a private transfer EMS company with some little back up 911 for my city. I have some 911 experience but since I moved the drivenis to far for a volunteer company, anyway this is my situation. Hopefully there are many suggestions out there.

Recently I have had the need and want to get out of my transfer life which I have been apart of for 5 years and go down the 911 route. We live in a city with a big BLS 911 contract. Excellent opportunity right ? The answer is yes. Not for my wife.

She understands that I want to be a medic but I can't be a good one with only transfer experience no need the 911. So I get the interview set up for my 911 company and she freaks. " You just want to load narcan in people "....yeah who doesn't was my reply Yes I want to work more arrests and shootings or stabbings and I need the experience for it all to become a great experienced composed Medic.

Thanks
Joe
What is the question?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
For what it's worth, I've generally done more real medicine on IFT than 911. Critical patients can arise during both, but in many cases, I would actually give the overall knowledge award to IFT medics who care (that's a huge caveat). 911/IFT is ideal, in my opinion.

*IFT that is a horizontal taxi only counts a little. Same with BLS 911.

OP
OP
J

JK773

Forum Probie
I feel like there's more to this than just IFT vs 911. Is the schedule different? Pay different? Are you going to have to move? Otherwise why does she care that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pay is comparable. I would be taking a .31 hit and still within the same dollar figure. It's about a 740 dollar loss yearly with a bunch of overtime to make up for the loss. The schedule might change but I am going to try to keep it the same as possible and she has this picture in her head that everyone in an ambulance if they are opposite sex partners bang each other so I try to find male partners only.

Also she clearly has never actually seen what goes in an out of a ambulance.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
The pay is comparable. I would be taking a .31 hit and still within the same dollar figure. It's about a 740 dollar loss yearly with a bunch of overtime to make up for the loss. The schedule might change but I am going to try to keep it the same as possible and she has this picture in her head that everyone in an ambulance if they are opposite sex partners bang each other so I try to find male partners only.

Also she clearly has never actually seen what goes in an out of a ambulance.

Is she a pregnant housewife ?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
1. There was just as much banging in the interfacility transfer world as there was in 911 (in my many experiences).
2. A male partner while noble on your part is unrealistic and not something you can control (plus are you sure they don't want to bang too?)
3. Not sure how she even knows the difference...my wife would of been like an ambulance is an ambulance, go where you are happy.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Do not get sucked into the Overtime vortex....if she is upset now, just wait until you work a few doubles week after week. While she will enjoy the money, if she is this upset now...it will not matter in the long run. And then true to her suspicions, you will find a work wife who does understand since you both are in the lifestyle...

OP
OP
J

JK773

Forum Probie
For what it's worth, I've generally done more real medicine on IFT than 911. Critical patients can arise during both, but in many cases, I would actually give the overall knowledge award to IFT medics who care (that's a huge caveat). 911/IFT is ideal, in my opinion.

*IFT that is a horizontal taxi only counts a little. Same with BLS 911.

I agree, if your a medic. I have been apart of some very critical ALS IFT calls. I am a basic and my city runs BLS with a double medic intercept. It's where all the BLS want to be especially if they have enough transfer experience

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
No a recently pregnant housewife, new 7 month old

As expected. If I were a shrink, I'd say it's postpartum depression coupled with separation anxiety and a very predictable drop in self confidence due to fears of desirability. But since I'm not a shrink and can't really give you any professional advice, the only thing I can tell you is, spend more time with her. She needs you.

OP
OP
J

JK773

Forum Probie
Do not get sucked into the Overtime vortex....if she is upset now, just wait until you work a few doubles week after week. While she will enjoy the money, if she is this upset now...it will not matter in the long run. And then true to her suspicions, you will find a work wife who does understand since you both are in the lifestyle...

My current company is on an extra OT freeze unless used for operational need. I am the sole provider in my house so to have a company freeze OT. I need at lease one a week or one 80 week a month to not put us under. But I don't work more than one extra 8 or 12 on a normal week