My Own Silly Uniform Question

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Hey, I've answered enough silly questions, I suppose I'm entiteld to a stupid one of my own, right?

So, I'm taking a course out-of-state that involves clinical time in another state where I am not certified. I suppose I will be riding under a student exemption.

I have to wear a white shirt, and other than dress shirts (french cuffs aren't so appropriate for ambulances...), I only have uniform shirts, either with my state patch on them or one with my NREMT patch. Potential troubles of wearing the latter? It's not misrepresentation, because I *am* a Nationally Registered EMT-Basic, but I worry about the trouble of being in a state where I have no license.

Probably one of those things that nothing will ever come of, but who knows when you could run into a state inspector or something, right? ;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Have you tried asking the course director? Also, how much would a white shirt set you back?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It's your patch, so there is no misrepresentation to be had. You don't need to be licensed in a state to show that you're nationally registered.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Veneficus

Forum Chief
or instead of going on the cheap, you could buy a nice uniform shirt with velcro on it so you can add or remove patches as the need arises. I particularly like the ones that zip up and look buttoned.

You can even do the same with your jackets that way if you change agencies or work for multiple ones, you don't have a closet full of cloths that you have to pick the right one from.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Silly enough?

;)
Be sure to get one with special pockets for window punches and Buck knives, a badge holder, secret holster for your backup piece, epaulets, fake brass buttons, etc.

Oh, and business cards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
or instead of going on the cheap, you could buy a nice uniform shirt with velcro on it so you can add or remove patches as the need arises. I particularly like the ones that zip up and look buttoned.

You can even do the same with your jackets that way if you change agencies or work for multiple ones, you don't have a closet full of cloths that you have to pick the right one from.

+1 I highly recommend this system if you work for multiple agencies. Several of my Jackets have velcro on the shoulders. The inside pocket contains several patches from the various agencies so I can swap them as needed, or go without the second I am not on the job but still need a jacket.

kermit

Forum Crew Member
My wife is a seamstress and were making custom scrubs.If you want to send us the shirt we could add a pocket or Velcro for patch removal etc.If you pay shipping and buy the Velcro, we would do it free for the just for the good feed back on the forum. How cool is that?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Velcro and big patches can tear shirts.

The fabric around the stitching will tend to tear after a few washes (especially bleached whites) when you put enough torque on a pocket-sized patch to remove it.

Maybe get it reinforced from behind? And go with a twill or white denim rather than average cloth.

PPS: thin white uniform cloth, especially scrubs, can become see-through after a dozen washes or so.

If you're in a pinch, put the patch in place with white glue and iron it It should stay until it rains or you wash it, then it falls off.

OP
OP
E

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Not really an option for me, anyway. The NJ state patch is big and shield shaped, and the NREMT patch is slightly smaller and round. ;p

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
If it were me, and it has been in the past, I'd spend the 10 - 15.00 and get a plain ol' regular white shirt at Wally World or KMart. Whatever. It's not fancy and there'll never be issues with patches. I did that for both my Basic and my Intermediate class clinicals.

Now that I've said that, I also did my Intermediate clinics and ride along in the WINTER. I have one of those 50.00 galls 3 season jackets with my NREMT-B patch sewn onto it and I did wear that when I did my Intermediate ride along. No one ever said anything to me about it.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
National Registry isn't a license or certification to practice, so I don't see how you could get in trouble for wearing the patch, even if you aren't certified to practice in that state.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I just picked up a plain white shirt. Twasn't a big deal. A sillier question than I thought.