My company just reached a new cheap low...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My ACLS expires the end of the month. Current job told me they will reimburse me. I don't believe them
get it in writing. than if they don't reimburse you, you have it in writing that they said they would

my company will only pay for classes that they offer in house. but we still need to pay the costs for books.

we can take courses relevant to our job, but we have to put our own money out, and hope HR doesn't lose the paperwork so we can get reimbursed for it (less what gets taken out in taxes).

And we need to either take vacation days (if there is someone to cover us) or work a switch to another shift, we def don't get paid to attend mandatory classes required for our job.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And we need to either take vacation days (if there is someone to cover us) or work a switch to another shift, we def don't get paid to attend mandatory classes required for our job.

That sucks for you. Sounds like some of you work for real shady or not employee friendly companies...

It's expensive for them to hire and train new employees. Also its hard to find applicants that meet the standards they hold us to clinically, even as Intermediates. With that said, I'm intimidated by the medic FTO period that I'm facing in the near future at the end of the school. I'm hoping to get lucky enough to go straight from my Internship into FTO time but it never seems to work that way.

Not many new Intermediates have made it through FTO time recently and it's extending my time as the FNG. While I don't like being the FNG the new trainees are full time employees and that means my full time shift line might disappear seeing as I am a Per Diem employee technically.

"Employee friendly" is hard to come by these days....

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
For those people who have to pay out of pocket; don't forget to keep receipts It is deductible on your Income Tax. Doesn't fix the problem, but it helps a little bit
Also, Uniforms, boots, speciality gear (anything that you wouldn't wear day to day, even if you are off work)

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
For those people who have to pay out of pocket; don't forget to keep receipts It is deductible on your Income Tax. Doesn't fix the problem, but it helps a little bit
Also, Uniforms, boots, speciality gear (anything that you wouldn't wear day to day, even if you are off work)

Should add, that this must be done on long form, not the 540EZ. But any savings is worth the extra effort, and with Turbo tax, or the like, it is not so hard. I use to do taxes pre computer :)

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Tax write off

Most of us are in the 25% bracket or lower. So, for every dollar you're laying out, you're getting back 25 cents at best. If it were a tax credit, it would be a different story. What's more, many of us in EMS don't have enough deductible expenses to itemize rather than use the standard deduction in the first place.

I'm spoiled at my job. I get all CEU's on duty, which automatically renews the state and NR-P cards, and I also got my ACLS, PALS, and BLS instructor certs on my own time, but for free. I was even able to be monitored on duty as well, so I didn't have to waste any time instructing for free to get cleared for the cards.

Municipal is the way to go in this business. When profit is the main focus, the employee usually gets the short end of the stick.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Not to get this thread off topic, but I think you can file long form regardless of tax bracket. I am not sure though, as I have owned my condo for the past 11yrs and have not done the 540EZ in some time. It would only seem fair that everyone can itemize deductions like uniforms and boots, medical, and schooling. Worth looking into anyways.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Not to get this thread off topic, but I think you can file long form regardless of tax bracket. I am not sure though, as I have owned my condo for the past 11yrs and have not done the 540EZ in some time. It would only seem fair that everyone can itemize deductions like uniforms and boots, medical, and schooling. Worth looking into anyways.

When I started in EMS, I had to buy everything except my pants and shirt, like most people that work for the privates. I was told to keep receipts for everything, so that I could write off the expenses. I didn't understand the tax system too well back then, so I thought that meant I would be reimbursed dollar for dollar, like a tax credit. I bought more stuff than I would ever need (my whacker stage), figuring that I could recoup the cost by claiming the expenses. I was sorely disappointed when preparing to file. My itemized deductions were maybe 30% of the standard deduction. I thought that I could double dip, as in doing the standard deduction and then applying the receipts to get even more back, but it doesn't work that way.

So, after five years of EMS employment, I was cured of buying all sorts of needless Ricky Rescue EMS crap, such as the best trauma shears, expensive scopes, a personal trauma bag for my car, a window punch, seat belt cutter, utility belts that Batman would envy, travelling for expos and conferences that aren't necessary to recert, etc. Even if my expenses totaled more than the standard, such as if I owned a home, I would only recoup 25% of my outlay, which isn't worth it.

If a $12/hr joke company can't provide mandatory classes necessary for the job, then the place isn't worth working for, unless you're simply desperate. It's not like you're in a more gainfully employed medical field, where the CEU/recert costs are more affordable.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
The community colleges around here do free con-ed for all the EMT/MEDIC/FIRE. Is that something you can look into? The online stuff is good but I know in my county we have to have so many hours of "in-county" training.