My Annual Question: What summer job have you secured?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Lifeguards, drilling rigs, water parks, wildland firefighters, Home Depot clerks, movie sets? Teaching?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Judging by the emails flooding my inbox it looks like I'll be able to pick up as many BLS ambulance shifts as I can handle when I get home for the summer. Bring on another sticky hot Boston summer! In wool/polyester pants I might add...

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Nothing other than my normal full time EMS job, might join the FD though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm waiting to find out if my old beach lifeguard job needs me PRN or not, nothing like getting paid to catch a tan and check out all the cute girls on roves ;) If not it'll be full time Intermediate shifts until a medic spot opens after I graduate in July.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Who has time for a summer job?

I will be working as much OT as I can handle between beach and watching my nephew.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
My summer job will consist of my mon-fri FT gig, weeding the garden, building a new stone fire pit and brewing about 200 gallons of assorted beers for the wedding. Sadly only one of them pays...

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My summer job will consist of my mon-fri FT gig, weeding the garden, building a new stone fire pit and brewing about 200 gallons of assorted beers for the wedding. Sadly only one of them pays...

That's what I was thinking. All of my summer work is for free, too.

VBS for 2 weeks at church, gardening, extra kids, families visiting. It's fun, busy, and a total money suck, not a gain.

Is it normal for people with full time work to pick up summer jobs?

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
I need to take up my former partners offer to get me hired on a Wildland crew. I'm sadly out of shape though.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I just took my last shift (ever!) of my biggest volunteer gig (estimated 10,000 hours of shift time in the last few years), so looking forward to working to get paid more in the coming weeks and months.
Medic school, part time IFT, and teaching on the side (1 or 2 lectures or labs a week). That seems to be my plan for the next year or so, alternating between more or less ambulance work and teaching.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My jobs go the opposite way during summer. Stil have the full time 911 ambulance company (4 days on, 3 days off, 3days on, 4 days off, rinse and repeat).

The college I teach at does not offer summer classes this year and definatly not an EMT program during the summer (staff strongly disagree with accelerated EMT courses).

But the college is back open in September.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Taking on as many units of school as possible for the summer (3 over the allowed) in order to slam through school as fast as possible.

Have a couple GIS internships and part-time gigs that I am looking at.

Working Event Medical as able at High School Football Games, In-and-Out Company Events, and at least one County Fair.

In a rarity, I will probably be working my winter gig at the Snow Park this summer; heading up Event Safety and Medical at a Music Festival being organized on the property this summer.

nemedic

Forum Captain
No set summer gigs as of yet, just the FT job, and lthe youth football standby gig in the fall.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Overqualified.

All so pedestrian. Sort of.;)

I've considered lying my way into a medical assistant job at a doc in the box. They do NOT want RN's or LVN's anymore around here. Movie and event work ditto, except they want EMT's and paramedics.

I can always fill in vollie classes for ARC and babysit my charming granddaughter.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Haven't had time to start looking for a summer job... but I'll be definitely looking starting toward the end of this week.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Get on it. Sheesh you're like my daughter used to be!