Movie Marathon Thread

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So many times I've looked up a movie on streaming and Netflix or Hulu don't have it, or they used to but not anymore, or its locked behind a second paywall (already pay for Hulu, but buy the Starz add on to watch!) Or they only have the sequel or whatever.

Amazon Prime will usually fill in the gaps... at 4 bucks to rent and 10 bucks to own, just like a DVD, and I still have my library of those.

Plus my own experiences being deployed to sandbox, if I wanted to have my movies, I'd better fit all my DVD into CD wallets (or at the very least spend a few hours burning them onto a TB external hard drive) which isn't really doable with streaming services.
totally cool, I had a bookshelf full of DVDs (TV series and movies) but once I got netflix, I found I rarely watched them. I couldn't remember the last time I used my DVD players, so I sold what I could, and gave away the rest. but if you aren't home, I can see the advantage (I remember bringing DVDs and my laptop to work, but that was before the age of everyone having wireless in the stations). Now I have hulu, amazon prime, and Netflix, plus basic cable, so my bases are mostly covered.

I'm explicitly buying computers with CD drives (practically have to special order thise nowadays, even gaming rigs don't usually come with those built in as standard) and the PS5 that still has the physical disc input for those reasons (which will also double as my DVD and Blu Ray movie player)
or you can just get an external DVD drive that connects via USB (https://www.amazon.com/usb-dvd-drive/s?k=usb+dvd+drive) typically for 25-35 so you don't need to special order stuff

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So many times I've looked up a movie on streaming and Netflix or Hulu don't have it, or they used to but not anymore, or its locked behind a second paywall (already pay for Hulu, but buy the Starz add on to watch!) Or they only have the sequel or whatever.

Amazon Prime will usually fill in the gaps... at 4 bucks to rent and 10 bucks to own, just like a DVD, and I still have my library of those.

Plus my own experiences being deployed to sandbox, if I wanted to have my movies, I'd better fit all my DVD into CD wallets (or at the very least spend a few hours burning them onto a TB external hard drive) which isn't really doable with streaming services.

I'm explicitly buying computers with CD drives (practically have to special order thise nowadays, even gaming rigs don't usually come with those built in as standard) and the PS5 that still has the physical disc input for those reasons (which will also double as my DVD and Blu Ray movie player)

I've been ripping my DVDs to my computer for the past 4 years and am less than halfway through my collection. I'm currently at over 2900 movies and TV show episodes ripped, taking up 1.1TB of disk space...and I don't even rip them in HD. Never thought I'd see the day where the two 750GB SSD drives in my laptop were not enough storage but that day is coming. Good thing I have two 4TB external drives.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Watched Amadeus the other day with my wife and daughter, hadn’t seen it in years and our oldest is currently on a classical music kick. Both hung in there for the full 3 hours.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Watched Amadeus the other day with my wife and daughter, hadn’t seen it in years and our oldest is currently on a classical music kick. Both hung in there for the full 3 hours.
That's one movie I'm missing from my collection that I want to get. Haven't watched it in years too.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Mad Max Marathon today...all four movies.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I've been ripping my DVDs to my computer for the past 4 years and am less than halfway through my collection. I'm currently at over 2900 movies and TV show episodes ripped, taking up 1.1TB of disk space...and I don't even rip them in HD. Never thought I'd see the day where the two 750GB SSD drives in my laptop were not enough storage but that day is coming. Good thing I have two 4TB external drives.
Holy crap, that is awesome. I would have thought that 2900 movies would take up way more than 1TB.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Holy crap, that is awesome. I would have thought that 2900 movies would take up way more than 1TB.
I don't rip them in HD. I use Handbrake for the rip and select Android Tablet preset. There's a point at which you stop noticing the increase in resolution, so I decided to go for a balance of quality and size reduction.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Watched RED last night. That was fun.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
All I know is Coming To America 2, Amazon. In the works. Yas.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Watched RED last night. That was fun.
Guess I'm going with a John Malkovich marathon today. Con Air, In the Line of Fire and both RED movies.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Last edited:
OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Going with some oddballs today: Clue, Hudson Hawk, and the oddest one ever....Rocky Horror Picture Show.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Going with some magic today. Labyrinth, both Dungeons and Dragons films, and Dragon Slayer

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Think I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks watching the entire Benny Hill collection in order. Could really use some pure humor and entertainment.