Morales and Pt interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needajob

Forum Ride Along
So I figured this would fit in BLS since it would unlikely occur in the ALS setting. I was transporting a pretty looking patient to a psych facility. Section 12'd for depression and anxiety issues. She actually claimed to work in mental health as a counselor or something along those lines. Had a very enjoyable talk with her on the approximately 30 minute ride to the facility.

Now my question is, how unethical would it be to ask for their or offer your phone number in this situation? And just for the record I did not make any attempt at it. But was wondering what some of your thoughts are on how poor of a decision it would be. My main objection is the fact that it is potentially taking advantage of a person in a poor state of mind.

Also, she did not seem bat crap crazy, actually she seemed pretty normal considering the family life she claimed to have to deal with. But then again she might have been a complete nut, who knows.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
In before the lock...

Seriously? Completely unprofessional, unethical, and disrespectful.

ChorusD

Forum Crew Member
Don't :censored::censored::censored::censored: where you eat.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Troll level: Expert

Secondly....who the heck is Morales? Was that her name? Think HIPAA

Finally...if real, run away young Padawan...run far, far away.......

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
In a nutshell, it's a bad idea.

I will give this the benefit of the doubt, and if anyone would like to contribute constructive comments regarding the ethical implications... Feel free.

If this gets out of hand, it's going away.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I used to work with Morales, he was a good guy and a sharp EMT

Completely inappropriate to ask and totally unprofessional.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Go watch "Chicago Fire" or "Trauma." If they did it on there, I'd say it's perfectly acceptable and go for it!:unsure:

Edit: No, I'm not serious. Like others have said, don't do it.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Let me, let me....

:nosoupfortroll:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Dude, go for it next time. It's your life, do what you want. Who knows where you'll meet "the one"

In other news...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358568031.952377.jpg

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
if you have to ask the question, than you don't want to hear the answer

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
If you're posting on here, you are either trolling or already know its the wrong idea. That said, if you need some confirmation, ask your supervisor what you should do. (Or if you value your job, don't.)

On another note, 'bat crap crazy' people don't always initially appear as 'bat crap crazy'. You certainly can't confirm a diagnosis of a complicated mental disorder in a 20 minute ambulance ride.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Constructive comments people. If I see the word troll again I'm going to do some trolling of my own, only I have a hammer.

OP
OP
N

Needajob

Forum Ride Along
A few points: 1. you reiterated my point by saying that obviously you can't judge a person's psychological stability that easily. 2. I was just looking for what the general opinion was about it. I believe I put my opinion in there, and considering it was anti doing it, the condescending answers are unreasonable (but I forgot I am dealing with EMT's who, the vast majority at least, think they are smarter than MDs.) 3. Its a typo, get over it. 4. Just b/c a question is not strictly medical does not mean it was written to rile up everyone who reads it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
who's morales?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
A few points: 1. you reiterated my point by saying that obviously you can't judge a person's psychological stability that easily. 2. I was just looking for what the general opinion was about it. I believe I put my opinion in there, and considering it was anti doing it, the condescending answers are unreasonable (but I forgot I am dealing with EMT's who, the vast majority at least, think they are smarter than MDs.) 3. Its a typo, get over it. 4. Just b/c a question is not strictly medical does not mean it was written to rile up everyone who reads it.

You were entered into a patient-provider relationship and have a ethical, moral, and professional obligation not to abuse or take advantage of that relationship for personal gain. Technically speaking we should not even accept gifts from our patients. Any sexual advances, and on a lesser level giving your phone number, is breaching that relationship. Regardless if she was mentally stable or not.

Everyone is condescending because for most people this is common sense. So for cliff notes...Ethical: Wrong, Moral: Probably wrong, Professional: Very wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
You were entered into a patient-provider relationship and have a ethical, moral, and professional obligation not to abuse or take advantage of that relationship for personal gain. Technically speaking we should not even accept gifts from our patients. Any sexual advances, and on a lesser level giving your phone number, is breaching that relationship. Regardless if she was mentally stable or not.

Everyone is condescending because for most people this is common sense. So for cliff notes...Ethical: Wrong, Moral: Probably wrong, Professional: Very wrong

I have to agree with this. However I understand different people are attracted to others for different reasons. But we are in a profession like teachers and students, where acting on that is unequivocally wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.