Misdemeanor, should I even keep going?

Jayman3439

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, I have a misdemeanor for petite larceny and a single speeding ticket on my record. I'm due to finish up EMTP class pretty quick and I'm wondering if Im screwed for the rest of my life as far as this field goes. Should I just do nursing school now or what?

aberrant

Forum Probie
I'm not sure what state your in but I found this in a previous thread a while back for California regulations:

c) The medical director shall deny or revoke an EMT or Advanced EMT certificate if any of the following
apply to the applicant:
(1) Has committed any sexually related offense specified under Section 290 of the Penal Code.
(2) Has been convicted of murder, attempted murder, or murder for hire.
(3) Has been convicted of two (2) or more felonies.
(4) Is on parole or probation for any felony.
(5) Has been convicted and released from incarceration for said offense during the preceding fifteen
(15) years for the crime of manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter.
(6) Has been convicted and released from incarceration for said offense during the preceding ten (10)
years for any offense punishable as a felony.
(7) Has been convicted of two (2) or more misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years for any
offense relating to the use, sale, possession, or transportation of narcotics or addictive or dangerous
drugs.
(8) Has been convicted of two (2) or more misdemeanors within the preceding five (5) years for any
offense relating to force, threat, violence, or intimidation.
(9) Has been convicted within the preceding five (5) years of any theft related

I would contact your state and see what their regulations are.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi all, I have a misdemeanor for petite larceny and a single speeding ticket on my record. I'm due to finish up EMTP class pretty quick and I'm wondering if Im screwed for the rest of my life as far as this field goes. Should I just do nursing school now or what?

Probably not for the rest of your life.

Call your state EMS bureau and Board of Nursing. Also call a lawyer, if you haven't already.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Probably not for the rest of your life.

Call your state EMS bureau and Board of Nursing. Also call a lawyer, if you haven't already.
This is what you should do. They should be able to provide some general guidance, but they probably won't say for sure until they actually get your information/application/background results officially.

Good luck!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Yeah- go to RN school. Better pay, and hospitals get a tax credit for hiring ex-convicts.

:/

Seriously though, it all depends- how long ago did it happen; why did you do it; what was the penalty; what was the circumstance? Etc. etc.
Those are all questions that will be asked when you go for your certification and for employment backgrounds.

As a personnel manager, I can tell you that no one wants a convicted thief working for them. That said, there had better be some time and space between then and now with some demonstration as to the improvement of your character as it relates to your suitability for employment.

On an aside, I do not think it will prevent you from getting your NREMT/local cert, but that is dependent on your state's law/policy.

Good luck. Stay out of trouble.

Has anyone seen my iPad?.... I swear I just set it down right here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idkmaybe

Forum Probie
Yeah- go to RN school. Better pay, and hospitals get a tax credit for hiring ex-convicts.

:/

Seriously though, it all depends- how long ago did it happen; why did you do it; what was the penalty; what was the circumstance? Etc. etc.
Those are all questions that will be asked when you go for your certification and for employment backgrounds.

As a personnel manager, I can tell you that no one wants a convicted thief working for them. That said, there had better be some time and space between then and now with some demonstration as to the improvement of your character as it relates to your suitability for employment.

On an aside, I do not think it will prevent you from getting your NREMT/local cert, but that is dependent on your state's law/policy.

Good luck. Stay out of trouble.

Has anyone seen my iPad?.... I swear I just set it down right here.

And how does one demonstrate better character? Should I spend time volunteering somewhere?

Idkmaybe

Forum Probie
If I volunteer for AmeriCorps or the PeaceCorps long enough, it will make you less afraid of me stealing your stuff?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
And how does one demonstrate better character? Should I spend time volunteering somewhere?

For starters, that is an absolute great idea. Particularly something in a position that would be considered an authority or leadership position such as for the Boy Scouts or your local VA hospital, Law Enforcement agency, Fire Dept, Children's Hospital, Boys and Girls Club, etc. That as a opposed to say, the homeless shelter, church yard sale, or blood drive. Not to knock those latter options but they aren't going to say "look I'm a leader in the community" as loudly. Granted, it may be equally challenging to volunteer at some of those establishments with a record, but at least it's interview practice and experience for your big "dream job."

Having refrained from illegal drugs and activity since the incident in question is good juju. Excelling in academics since that time is also good juju. Perhaps tutoring kids, or even other EMT students is a good idea. Good references from employers and instructors are well received as well. Ultimately, the hiring folk want to see something in regards to you learning from your experiences, from who you were so to speak, and transformation into who you are today. They want to see positive indicators of your current judgement, suitability, and stability.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Lol no- but I'm not worried about you stealing my stuff because I can kick your *** and take it back. I'm worried about your judgement and moral code when no one is watching you. Therein lies the issue with a tainted record.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Just for the mods- the last butt kicking reference is a joke. I think he can detect my sarcasm. No need to get all excited. Just a little banter between boys.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

You think Nursing schools and licensing boards are going to be more lenient?

Idkmaybe

Forum Probie
For starters, that is an absolute great idea. Particularly something in a position that would be considered an authority or leadership position such as for the Boy Scouts or your local VA hospital, Law Enforcement agency, Fire Dept, Children's Hospital, Boys and Girls Club, etc. That as a opposed to say, the homeless shelter, church yard sale, or blood drive. Not to knock those latter options but they aren't going to say "look I'm a leader in the community" as loudly. Granted, it may be equally challenging to volunteer at some of those establishments with a record, but at least it's interview practice and experience for your big "dream job."

Having refrained from illegal drugs and activity since the incident in question is good juju. Excelling in academics since that time is also good juju. Perhaps tutoring kids, or even other EMT students is a good idea. Good references from employers and instructors are well received as well. Ultimately, the hiring folk want to see something in regards to you learning from your experiences, from who you were so to speak, and transformation into who you are today. They want to see positive indicators of your current judgement, suitability, and stability.

I do have some volunteer work under my belt. I did volunteer for the VA helping a college professor set up a veteran's museum. Perhaps I can give him a call and get back in there. I've made friends with one or two of my professors while in school, and I've maintained a 3.65 GPA (good, yea?). I think expanding my volunteer activities could do me some good.

Here's what concerns me: Many companies have a set list of crimes for which there is no consideration. If something is a match, out the application goes. I almost was hired at UPS, Bedford Retirement Community, and accepted into a well known EMT program in my area. Until a match popped up and out the door I went. I'll tell you, that's the worst feeling in the world. It says to me "No matter what you've done to redeem yourself, no matter who you are now as opposed to then, you can't have :censored::censored::censored::censored:, and you can't be :censored::censored::censored::censored:, ever." I'll tell you, I won't put up with that for long in my hunt for an EMT job. Such things make my hard work toward redemption irrelevant. I'll pretty quickly go back to school for plan B, accounting. I don't even mind an employer pushing and prodding me about my misdemeanor theft charge in an interview (which has happened). At least that way I get the chance to make a case for myself. All I want is a chance.

Thank you for your advice SandPitMedic. Keep it coming if you've got any more?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You think Nursing schools and licensing boards are going to be more lenient?

Maybe by the time nursing school is completed it won't be as much of an issue.

Idkmaybe

Forum Probie
Just curious, if asked about my petty theft in an interview, should I say "Sorry I stole beer. Can I please follow my dreams now?"

:p

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Maybe by the time nursing school is completed it won't be as much of an issue.

True, time does help. However with the competitiveness of most nursing schools it will still put the OP at a significant disadvantage. I have also seen people get denied licenses for

Not trying to be a downer I am just trying to be realistic and prepare the OP. It would be a horrible feeling to get trough 4 years of nursing school only to be rejected a license, which happened to a classmate. Definitely contact your Board of Nursing before starting down that road.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I do have some volunteer work under my belt...Perhaps I can give him a call and get back in there. I've made friends with one or two of my professors while in school, and I've maintained a 3.65 GPA (good, yea?). I think expanding my volunteer activities could do me some good.

Good idea, give him a call. Also a letter of recommendation and character would be beneficial.

Here's what concerns me: Many companies have a set list of crimes for which there is no consideration.

Most times it is based on a timeframe... I.e. "in the last seven years have you...?" vs. "have you ever...?" Again though, depends on the agency. Most important thing is that you never lie. It will pop-up somewhere, and then you will be branded as that "lying thief" from which there is likely little chance of redemption - at least in your locality. You sound like you understand that having the opportunity to explain is beneficial - you stole beer, you didn't rob a bank. Just keep improving upon yourself, and take opportunities to show that you've matured, and don't give up. Everyone has blemishes somewhere... You'll get there someday.

Thank you for your advice SandPitMedic. Keep it coming if you've got any more?

Best advice: invest in Doritos stock... Weed is gonna legal soon. You'll be rich! And then it won't matter that you stole beer when you were 19. Donate a new type 1 and boom!! You're hired!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Just curious, if asked about my petty theft in an interview, should I say "Sorry I stole beer. Can I please follow my dreams now?"

:p

Avoid any and all of that.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely get a lawyer. For something minor like that, it is possible to go in front of a judge and explain your situation, tell them where you want to go in life, that this misdemeanor is holding you back, etc. and have it expunged from your record.

Btalon

Forum Probie
Definitely get a lawyer. For something minor like that, it is possible to go in front of a judge and explain your situation, tell them where you want to go in life, that this misdemeanor is holding you back, etc. and have it expunged from your record.

+1 on that, you've never said how long it has been. It is possible to get it annulled and then you don't have to disclose it.

It helps to get legal advice and take care of it, then you can move on. If you have tried to better yourself, then you have a better chance before a judge asking for it to be removed.