MFI/RSI

abuan

Forum Crew Member
Happens pretty frequently here on Oahu especially in the rural areas.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Does anyone know if RSI is allowed anywhere in California?
It is not in the CA paramedic scope (at least none of the proper medications aside from versed and Fentanyl are in the scope). The way around this is with flight crews and CCTs with a RN on board. The RN is able to give the medications and the paramedic is able to intubate.

DPM

Forum Captain
It is not in the CA paramedic scope (at least none of the proper medications aside from versed and Fentanyl are in the scope). The way around this is with flight crews and CCTs with a RN on board. The RN is able to give the medications and the paramedic is able to intubate.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm having a hard time on my phone, but can you steer me towards an online Cali Scope?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Does anyone know if RSI is allowed anywhere in California?
For Paramedics, the answer is no, not outside a trial and there aren't any currently running RSI trials in California right now that I know of. For nurses, the answer is "it depends." RN/RN flight teams allow for the RN to do RSI and I've seen it also written in CCT-RN protocol. Technically, my job as an ED RN could have me perform the procedure but I'd have to be specifically credentialed for it. I'd be PICC certified before I would be allowed to intubate in my ED.

DPM

Forum Captain
Looking at the Ca Paramedic scope and optional scope, it shows that some agencies are using "Drug Facilitated intubation", which as far as I know is RSI without paralytics.

Can anyone from the EMT life brain trust give me s good answer as to why? DFI is more dangerous, with higher failure and more likelihood of aspiration etc, so why are they allowing it over RSI?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Looking at the Ca Paramedic scope and optional scope, it shows that some agencies are using "Drug Facilitated intubation", which as far as I know is RSI without paralytics.

Can anyone from the EMT life brain trust give me s good answer as to why? DFI is more dangerous, with higher failure and more likelihood of aspiration etc, so why are they allowing it over RSI?

Because the people who make that decision don't know what they are dealing with.

Edit: I'm sure they have their reasons. Certainly there are very good arguments against prehospital RSI. But as you note, there are even stronger arguments against sedation-facilitated intubation.

DPM

Forum Captain
If anyone can help me, I'm trying to find an example of a DAI / DFI / fake-RSI protocol, but I'm having a tough time!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
If anyone can help me, I'm trying to find an example of a DAI / DFI / fake-RSI protocol, but I'm having a tough time!
Our statewide protocols used to give an option for sedation only intubation for agencies not utilizing paralytics. I don't know for sure, but I believe it specified 0.3 mg/kg Etomidate. It's garbage, and I never used it. Our most recent protocol update seems to have eliminated that verbiage completely.

nater

Forum Crew Member
The urban service I rode with in school did not allow RSI, they only have Versed to facilitate intubation. The rural service I started with had RSI protocol and the majority of my intubations were RSI.

In my setting now, we have very open protocols. Most intubations still use our RSI protocol, but with proper ventilator settings, sedation and pain control we don't need to use long term paralytics as often. Having BiPAP available has reduced the need for emergent intubations as well.

nater

Forum Crew Member
Can you direct me to their versed facilitated intubation protocol?

It isn't the best: up to 5mg Versed IV for sedation to facilitate endotracheal intubation before or after the procedure. Repeat up to 10 mg before calling for orders for more.

We have been using Ketamine more over the past few years and I have grown to like it. It is also a brochodilator which is great for certain respiratory cases.

DPM

Forum Captain
It isn't the best: up to 5mg Versed IV for sedation to facilitate endotracheal intubation before or after the procedure. Repeat up to 10 mg before calling for orders for more.

Yeah 5mg isn't great at all! What's the name of the service? Trying to see the whole thing laid out if possible.

DPM

Forum Captain
Can you name the region at least? Maybe I can call them and find a way to have a look

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Can you name the region at least? Maybe I can call them and find a way to have a look
There's really not much to look at.

Versed or ketamine --> tube.

nater

Forum Crew Member
I just copied the protocol. You give versed then intubate. There is no need to call anyone, and personally I don't think it would be a good one to copy anyway. What more do you need to know?