Medlife Ambulance is a great company to work for!

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
How is this company allowed to operate again? What's the story and is it permanent?

I just spoke with Mrs. Underwood from the LA County. No, this is not permanent.

This company IS ALLOWED to operate in LA County for the time being.

Basically they've filed for some different type of appeal (I can't remember what it's called already. Go me) where they're sending the files and paperwork to someone who was not originally apart of the initial hearing and application process.

This guy has 30 days to make a decision of whether they get the license or not. He's could very well say in 10 days "HELL. NO" and everything gets pulled again. If everything gets pulled medlife will have no desire (as we've previously seen) to continue to operate the orange county station so they'll shut 'er down for good.

Either way, to the EMTS returning to medlife:

I know they didn't tell you guys ANYTHING because I've been asking. If I were you guys I wouldn't return whether the appeal rules in there favor or not. You're very likely to lose your job AGAIN and it won't make you look good on ANY resume if you return, either.

I wish you medlife emts the best of luck. I know you have to make money to support your families so do whatever you need to do but do your best to get the hell out and quick.

Merry Christmas. :rofl:

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
oh wow very interesting! from just reading the PDF file on the County website it would seem that they are done for good.

They are still operating. Wonder if there is any bribing going on.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
They are still operating. Wonder if there is any bribing going on.

Bribing county officials? If they did it, they for sure would have some balls. They likely filed appeal with retired judge. Basically think of it as binding arbitration. They can always sue the county and try to get court to rule that county have no jurisdiction over business operating in incorporated cities. It's only recently that la county have declared that everyone in the county must apply to be licensed by them. County is for sure playing hardball being we have so many ambulance company's operating.

They are on their last legs......desperately trying to squeeze out whatever dialysis money they can before the doors close for good. Where's the popcorn? Should be entertaining to watch.

EMT Doom

Forum Ride Along
They are on their last legs......desperately trying to squeeze out whatever dialysis money they can before the doors close for good. Where's the popcorn? Should be entertaining to watch.

Thus begins the emtpocalyps. Med life is (was?) a fairly big house. Does LA county ave some radical agenda not to be a joke anymore? Srikes me that if so it is gonna be dark days for many an emt. I cant really belive many companies out there are really much better bls is bls.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I wish I would have never said anything on this thread, now all I get are updates flooding my email inbox about some Amberlamsp Company in L.A that is going under...... Fish, stay away from the 100% Directionless thread... stay away!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Metro EMS News

Forum Crew Member
I’ve found it very interesting to see how the LA County EMSA posted the November 21, 2012 letter to its website. The letter was subsequently replaced with the “Granting of Stay Request” dated December 4, 2012, now in its place. The link to this is: http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/Ambulanc...medlifeapp.pdf

Originally, the Directors explanation, indicated that Med-Life was “denied the application for licensure” after the Ambulance Licensing Hearing Board’s final decision was deferred, and then a review (transpiring over approximately 10 days) was conducted.

What I’m most intrigued by is how the Ambulance Licensing Hearing Board is comprised of several individuals, yet the “Los Angeles County Business/Ambulance License Appeals Officer (sole individual), can override the process – potentially initiating a reversal to the Hearing Boards’ decision making process.

Does anyone know if such a feat has ever been successfully appealed before, with a favorable outcome to the ambulance service?

With a Med-Life appeal now being formalized, what sole person or entity will ultimately decide the outcome?

Metro EMS News

Forum Crew Member
Granting of Stay Outcome

Has anyone heard on the outcome of Med-Life Ambulances' appeal with the Business License Commission? Their granting of a request for a stay was made public on December 4, 2012. I would be interested in hearing from anyone working for the company.
Additionally, does anyone know if Elite Ambulance is operating or also has requested a stay? The LA County EMSA website hasn't posted anything indicating their outcome as of yet.

fbemt

Forum Ride Along
From what I've heard there was supposed to be a decision in 30 days. Haven't heard anything else

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Has anyone heard on the outcome of Med-Life Ambulances' appeal with the Business License Commission? Their granting of a request for a stay was made public on December 4, 2012. I would be interested in hearing from anyone working for the company.
Additionally, does anyone know if Elite Ambulance is operating or also has requested a stay? The LA County EMSA website hasn't posted anything indicating their outcome as of yet.

Haven't seen medlife vehicles in a while, however haven't seen anything on LACO website either . Regarding Elite Ambulance, yes they are still operating. This was just first hearing, there should be 2 more before they can no long operate and have to fill an appeal.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Elite ambulance is required to shut down on 1/11/13. Appeal and stay is pending.

edit:From LA County website

"The Ambulance Operator Business License for the following company was denied effective
January 11, 2013; however, the EMS Agency has received notification that this company is appealing the decision and requesting a stay pending the outcome of their appeal. The results of the stay request and appeal are pending at this time and additional information will be provided as it becomes available:
 Elite Ambulance, Inc."

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend who worked for Medlife. Apparently after they shutdown they restarted operations a week or two after getting their appeal. Apparently they never called my friend to go back to work for them. So what did he do? Applied for unemployment that is.

Sadly, much to his chagrin, he was denied unemployment. Why? Well the great human beings at Medlife had told the unemployment people that they had called said employee numerous times to return to work. So when my friend appealed the decision and went to a hearing, he provided evidence of his phone call records and email records. Not one call or email from Medlife Ambulance. He was awarded unemployment. Needless to say, they looked and felt really stupid at the time. It's that kind of unpreparedness and sloppiness that has made companies like Medlife rife with horrible business decisions and deplorable acts of indecency.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
looker can you post the link to what you found? i cant seem to find it on the LACO ems website thanks