Medlife Ambulance is a great company to work for!

Gurney Jockey

Forum Probie
Also does anyone know why shoreline doesn't have any stickers? Like every unit I've seen (about twice) at the Downey Landing NEVER have stickers. No LA County, no long beach, I don't think they operate in LA City but I've never seen any sticks on 'em. Is that WNL? My rig had Long Beach, LA County and City stickers...for all the good it did us haha.

I've seen that before as well when I was working. Back when I was at AMR, my partner and I (along with a few fto's) were given lists of companies that were told to cease and desist by the county. If we saw them, (driving down the road/posting/at a hospital/snf/whatever) we were supposed to get a picture of them if we were able to and email it to one of our supes. Who in turn would forward it to someone higher up. It's up to you if you want to do that.

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/AmbulanceLicensing/AmbLic.htm
The link is for the county dhs website. There is a little paragraph at the bottom for ambulance operator/personnel violations and what looks like a form to fill out. But it also looks like you can also just send an email.

Aaaaaanyways back to the main topic, I'll always remember Medlife. They gave me my first abdominal evisceration pt. And following that, a small taste of ptsd.

PS
Sorry if the quote thing is done wrong. Medic school is taking priorities over posting (and using the quote button) on the interwebs.

Last edited by a moderator:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
BTW: They showed up with those new cars literally one week after closing the "deal" with Westlake Convalescent. Not suspicious at all! :rolleyes:

FYI: Ambulance companies buying SNF owners expensive catered lunches and giving SNF nurses $100.00 Starbucks cards IS definitely frowned upon by Medicare... Just sayin'. ;)

It's not a bribe it's just thank you card or you can call it card of appreciation :)

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Also does anyone know why shoreline doesn't have any stickers? Like every unit I've seen (about twice) at the Downey Landing NEVER have stickers. No LA County, no long beach, I don't think they operate in LA City but I've never seen any sticks on 'em. Is that WNL? My rig had Long Beach, LA County and City stickers...for all the good it did us haha.

They don't have stickers because at this time they are not required if their vehicle is not la licensed. LA County till recently wasn't requiring company's to be licensed by the them unless they wanted to work in uncorporated area. Being shorline was operating in the county prior to this rule and they filed their application by deadline they can continue to operate until such time as their application is review and is approved and or rejected.

Looker, how are you so well versed in such proceedings regarding LA County? Just curious.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Looker, how are you so well versed in such proceedings regarding LA County? Just curious.
I own ambulance company in socal, plus it says so on their website

"Amended Ambulance Ordinance: Revisions to the Los Angeles County Ambulance Ordinance and business license fees become effective on JULY 28, 2011. Among other changes, all ground and air ambulance operators who transport patients originating in Los Angeles County will be required to obtain a Los Angeles County Business License. Existing providers will have six (6) months from this date to submit a Business License Application. "

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/AmbulanceLicensing/AmbLic.htm

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
You really don't see the problem there? You think that LA County has done MedLife (cough, Ambumed, cough) wrong? Hahahaha!

No not at all. I just think it sucks it went this way and even more so the company is STILL trying to convince us everything is alright :\

FYI: Ambulance companies buying SNF owners expensive catered lunches and giving SNF nurses $100.00 Starbucks cards IS definitely frowned upon by Medicare... Just sayin'. ;)

They gave the EMTS gift cards but I wasn't aware they gave it to the nurses so that's news to me. And they *****ed constantly about the nurses begging us to cater to them on holidays so that was all I'd ever heard on that :S Sounds like *** kissing bribery went down.

I've seen that before as well when I was working. Back when I was at AMR, my partner and I (along with a few fto's) were given lists of companies that were told to cease and desist by the county. If we saw them, (driving down the road/posting/at a hospital/snf/whatever) we were supposed to get a picture of them if we were able to and email it to one of our supes. Who in turn would forward it to someone higher up. It's up to you if you want to do that.

Well I was just wondering if there was some kinda work around where you just didn't need the stickers? I was hoping someone from shoreline might pipe in since I forgot to ask the last guys I talked to about it. I've been told they pick up out of LBC and LA (not just dropping off) so I don't know what that's about :S

They don't have stickers because at this time they are not required if their vehicle is not la licensed. LA County till recently wasn't requiring company's to be licensed by the them unless they wanted to work in uncorporated area. Being shorline was operating in the county prior to this rule and they filed their application by deadline they can continue to operate until such time as their application is review and is approved and or rejected.

Except that I heard they've picked up in LA city and Long Beach with no stickers. Just heard that the other day from another guy at an interview.

My point in everything is that for MedLife I have seen worse companies. At least when I was at medlife I felt secure (ironic haha)

Moreso I'm sad to see the few good emts out of a job. I really feel for those people as much as I felt horrible for the transaid crews that got laid off within hours. What these companies are doing is ridiculous...including Alpha.

In any case I'm just thoroughly disgusted management is STILL trying to tell me things are going to turn around. Give me a BREAK if I held my breathe for this job I'd of died an idiot :\

Last edited by a moderator:

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
No not at all. I just think it sucks it went this way and even more so the company is STILL trying to convince us everything is alright :\

They gave the EMTS gift cards but I wasn't aware they gave it to the nurses so that's news to me. And they *****ed constantly about the nurses begging us to cater to them on holidays so that was all I'd ever heard on that :S Sounds like *** kissing bribery went down.

Well I was just wondering if there was some kinda work around where you just didn't need the stickers? I was hoping someone from shoreline might pipe in since I forgot to ask the last guys I talked to about it. I've been told they pick up out of LBC and LA (not just dropping off) so I don't know what that's about :S

Except that I heard they've picked up in LA city and Long Beach with no stickers. Just heard that the other day from another guy at an interview.

My point in everything is that for MedLife I have seen worse companies. At least when I was at medlife I felt secure (ironic haha)

Moreso I'm sad to see the few good emts out of a job. I really feel for those people as much as I felt horrible for the transaid crews that got laid off within hours. What these companies are doing is ridiculous...including Alpha.

In any case I'm just thoroughly disgusted management is STILL trying to tell me things are going to turn around. Give me a BREAK if I held my breathe for this job I'd of died an idiot :\

LA City is a joke. All you need to pick up patiets from the City, is the LA City DOT (Blue) dept of transportation sticker. All 200 companies in LA City that are unlicensed in the county can ONLY PICK UP from the city of LA with that sticker. This includes, Van Nuys, Hollywood, etc. So that's probably what they mean by picking up pts in LA. I seen Shoreline and all the other million companies pick up from within the City like Hollywood Community, Silver lake, etc. Hope that helps.

Any word on Medlife supposedly winning their appeal and coming back this week?

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
LA City is a joke. All you need to pick up patiets from the City, is the LA City DOT (Blue) dept of transportation sticker. All 200 companies in LA City that are unlicensed in the county can ONLY PICK UP from the city of LA with that sticker. This includes, Van Nuys, Hollywood, etc. So that's probably what they mean by picking up pts in LA. I seen Shoreline and all the other million companies pick up from within the City like Hollywood Community, Silver lake, etc. Hope that helps.

Damn no kidding! I guess that's what the dude at shoreline meant. Huh! I mean I still kinda don't dig one guy told me they had to fight for there checks at times (like to obtain them anyways) but that's whatever. It sucks but eh.

Any word on Medlife supposedly winning their appeal and coming back this week?

No but everyone in the company is just sizzling over it...ugh I'm sorry I'm done with this company, though. I start a new company next week. I'd love to see the emts who don't have jobs get there jobs back but I think where I'm going is for the better.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Damn no kidding! I guess that's what the dude at shoreline meant. Huh! I mean I still kinda don't dig one guy told me they had to fight for there checks at times (like to obtain them anyways) but that's whatever. It sucks but eh.

No but everyone in the company is just sizzling over it...ugh I'm sorry I'm done with this company, though. I start a new company next week. I'd love to see the emts who don't have jobs get there jobs back but I think where I'm going is for the better.

Ya most likely what he ment. People confuse the city and county difference easily. But idk man, where are you going?

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
Ya most likely what he ment. People confuse the city and county difference easily. But idk man, where are you going?

Yeah I think he thought it was LA City but it was county, I had considered it but he seemed so sure but in talking to him he was pretty fresh to the field and probably didn't know for sure? I know it took me awhile to know the borders for LA City and County.

And honestly I got a job at another BLS company, cept I picked one with the LA County's "Processing Paperwork" list ;) haha

So if it flunks out too I'll be ready to jump to the next. I got a RIDICULOUS amount of calls back.

A LOT of persistence from Liberty...

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah I think he thought it was LA City but it was county, I had considered it but he seemed so sure but in talking to him he was pretty fresh to the field and probably didn't know for sure? I know it took me awhile to know the borders for LA City and County.

And honestly I got a job at another BLS company, cept I picked one with the LA County's "Processing Paperwork" list ;) haha

So if it flunks out too I'll be ready to jump to the next. I got a RIDICULOUS amount of calls back.

A LOT of persistence from Liberty...

Lol OK man, but I would suggest a bigger company so you don't have to worry about things like job security. Also most of the bigger companies DONT do Dialysis since its a fine boarder between BLS and gurney van. Its just sketchy. Also at these bigger companies (I.e. my Amr)we get a ton of little perks not offered at other companies. Pay is really good for starting EMTs 12.50/hr., $150 for boots, dry cleaning allowance every pay check, really good equipment ( power gurneys, tough books, etc), tons of OT, all CEs payed. And NO dialysis, BLS you'll do mostly (2)5150,(1)ER call, (1)discharge a shift. On a ALS shift all you do is 911. We are hiring a ton right now just fyi.

As for liberty I know a few people work at liberty, most are OK with it but supposedly they got different management and its a little rough.

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
Lol OK man, but I would suggest a bigger company so you don't have to worry about things like job security. Also most of the bigger companies DONT do Dialysis since its a fine boarder between BLS and gurney van. Its just sketchy. Also at these bigger companies (I.e. my Amr)we get a ton of little perks not offered at other companies. Pay is really good for starting EMTs 12.50/hr., $150 for boots, dry cleaning allowance every pay check, really good equipment ( power gurneys, tough books, etc), tons of OT, all CEs payed. And NO dialysis, BLS you'll do mostly (2)5150,(1)ER call, (1)discharge a shift. On a ALS shift all you do is 911. We are hiring a ton right now just fyi.

As for liberty I know a few people work at liberty, most are OK with it but supposedly they got different management and its a little rough.

Wow, really? What AMR do you work at? That's the bees knees if I ever heard it!

And Medlife called me back and asked me to come back to work. I said no. I'm pretty butt hurt by having not worked since 11/19. That's pretty messed up.

But I've learned a lot from it..and I mean a LOT.

Peace out MedLife. Been real. Can't wait to see what other companies half-croak.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Ya man and that is just some things, there is more like. We don't post at all, we have "comfort" stations with couches, dish tv, kitchen, bathrooms. ALS will post though pretty much 60/40 ratio of post/stations. Required half a case of waters per shift lol(seriously), union, etc.

As for Medlife, well just stay until you can go to a better place. Where are you going? I would go to CCT approved company at least.

Both rancho and riverside are hiring tons. Those are the main deployment centers there is also. Hemet, Palm springs in riverside. And red lands and victorville for Rancho.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Whats the testing and interview like at AMR?

Both you need to do a 80question NREMT test, 40 question personality test. Then wait, wait, and wait. After you will get a phone call for a interview, if you pass that you will have another interview. Once you are done with that you do the pre-hiring drug test, medical examination, lift test. 2 week 8-5 orientation. Each division is slightly different though. Some you do skills testing also and FTO days are different.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief

You only see la sticker is because all other city's don't have any stickers. Hell it is just one piece of paper to get licensed in west Hollywood. To be licensed in LA owner and/or manager needs to have management experience in Ambulance industry.

How is this company allowed to operate again? What's the story and is it permanent?