Medlife Ambulance is a great company to work for!

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
There are countless number of patients who get transported via ambulance who don't need one. Don't give me that excuse please. These people get told by some family member how much money they could make taking MRS. TINKELBOTTOMS to dialysis so they start their own ambulance company with a bunch of EMTs who play dress up for a while until slowly but surely, the rules start getting bent a little bit to eventual full blown fraud. I'm not discounting companies that do the right thing, but Medlife my friend, was doing some dastardly things and they got shutdown for it. Not everything has a paper trail.

Trust me when I tell you there is plenty of paper trail. There is regular audit. Yes i am sure rules get bend a little but if they committed total fraud they would be in the news like Alpha Ambulance was.

No one knows why they got shutdown for sure. But I'm sure everyone who worked there could think of many instances. You want an example? Billing BLS tracheostomy patients as being on a ventilator(that the company would bill the insurance as being their own but really, it was owned by the SNF) and requiring CCT RT dialysis transports.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Bus is staffed with emt's?

No. They need supervision in transport, but not by medically trained people. The driver is CPR/AED...which is essentially what an EMT-B is

leoemt

Forum Captain
They wouldn't get shutdown if they were legitimate.

A lot of legitimate companies get shut down. There is a multitude of reasons why they could have been shut down. As a former business owner myself there are a lot i's to dot and t's to cross to keep a state happy.

If they were involved in Criminal Enterprise and that was the reason for the shut down, then they would be facing criminal charges already.

Just because they aren't donating ambulances to Armenia, doesn't mean they haven't been charitable to their old country. It is none of your business as to whether they are being charitable or not.

Trust me when I tell you there is plenty of paper trail. There is regular audit. Yes i am sure rules get bend a little but if they committed total fraud they would be in the news like Alpha Ambulance was.

I agree with this but I still think that something irked LA County into denying this company. Something was off.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
No one knows why they got shutdown for sure. But I'm sure everyone who worked there could think of many instances. You want an example? Billing BLS tracheostomy patients as being on a ventilator(that the company would bill the insurance as being their own but really, it was owned by the SNF) and requiring CCT RT dialysis transports.

If that is the case it should been reported and have them arrested.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
No. They need supervision in transport, but not by medically trained people. The driver is CPR/AED...which is essentially what an EMT-B is

Are you talking about gurney van? In California it's only covered by medicaid and they pay so little that company's only accept private pay.

Who knows, maybe someone tipped off LA County. At this point, it's all speculation. My strong opinions of vaguely legal ambulance companies aside, I think this company getting shutdown is the beginning of a huge change in the way EMS is done in LA County.

Seriously, something needs to be done about charging the full BLS rate for dialysis transports. Take the E out of EMT and just make medical technicians who provide transport for MRS. SHNIBBELMOOVINS drive a van.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Who knows, maybe someone tipped off LA County. At this point, it's all speculation. My strong opinions of vaguely legal ambulance companies aside, I think this company getting shutdown is the beginning of a huge change in the way EMS is done in LA County.

Only thing is clear if LA County is going to play hardball most company's will shutdown.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Seriously, something needs to be done about charging the full BLS rate for dialysis transports. Take the E out of EMT and just make medical technicians who provide transport for MRS. SHNIBBELMOOVINS drive a van.

Problem is medicare pays for ambulance only, medi-cal (medicaid) pretty much do not. Rate for gurney vans are so low most do not accept medical. Who do you propose pay for it?

So Ameripride and Elite should be very worried. They are up for review next.

Problem is medicare pays for ambulance only, medi-cal (medicaid) pretty much do not. Rate for gurney vans are so low most do not accept medical. Who do you propose pay for it?

If insurance companies/Medicaid/Medicare realized what they were truly paying for, that would be the instigator of change.

So is AMT...will see how that goes.
Yes sir, I'll be watching. For mere curiosity actually, but still, I paid my dues in the LA IFT system. I'd like to see what becomes of it.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
If insurance companies/Medicaid/Medicare realized what they were truly paying for, that would be the instigator of change.

medicare refuses to make any changes. medi-cal refuses to pay more claiming they can't afford it . Basically it's catch 22.

Well then, in the meantime, bring on the 523489723597823 ambulance companies in LA county!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
When I first got hired I thought FDNY EMS was the greatest thing in the world... 4 years later, it isn't... but they have paid me to sit in a paramedic class and it is still the most secure EMS job around.

Take the good with the bad.

Sorry only read first page of thread don't know if i missed something.

seanjohngap

Forum Ride Along
I don't know if anyone remembers Ambumed, well they got shut down when I worked for them and guess who was running the company...... The same guy who went and opened Medlife lol

I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back as, after the numerous shutdowns, AMBUTRANSRENALMEDREACHGENTLEBROLIFE Ambulance.