Medical Travel Companions

KevinMTC

Forum Ride Along
Hey everybody, my names Kevin and I'm with Medical Travel Companions. Just a quick background on me, I have been an EMT since 2008, I have worked at Protransport-1, Cal Fire and now AMR. I'm currently working part time at AMR focusing my full time on MTC. I was wanting to reach out and gauge this groups interest in per diem travel assistance work. The company is well established in Europe and Australia, and I'm working on the development here in the states. We hire people as independent contractors to work as travel companions, each trip is different and customized to our clients needs. We have been working with some study hospitals to help get them research patients that need help traveling. Take a quick look at this Youtube video as it explains the service a bit clearer. I am currently putting together a database of eligible workers than we can send out on jobs, if you have any interest feel free to DM me, or comment here. I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can.

OP
OP
K

KevinMTC

Forum Ride Along
Do they utilize paramedics? What are the regulations regarding scope of practice internationally?
So you would be working as a travel companion, not a paremedic, EMT etc. There are liability waivers the client signs, you're basically there as a hand holder that assists them point to paint. All clients have to be declared as fit to travel by a doctor beforehand. So you're not doing anything you would do in the field.

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So you would be working as a travel companion, not a paremedic, EMT etc. There are liability waivers the client signs, you're basically there as a hand holder that assists them point to paint. All clients have to be declared as fit to travel by a doctor beforehand. So you're not doing anything you would do in the field.

If you're not working as a medic/EMT, then why refer to them as medical travel companions? Seems a bit misleading at first glance.

OP
OP
K

KevinMTC

Forum Ride Along
Because we mainly work with assisting people to and from medical appointments, study's etc. The company was started when our CEO's father got mild parkinson's disease and realized he would need help getting through the airport if he wanted to continue to travel.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
If you're not working as a medic/EMT, then why refer to them as medical travel companions? Seems a bit misleading at first glance.
This is a legit thing. There are other agencies that do it as well.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This is a legit thing. There are other agencies that do it as well.
I get the travel companion part, was wondering why they called it medical.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I took an all expense paid cruise with a male in his 40s wheelchair bound who wanted someone similar aged, medical savvy, to assist him on his vacation while he practiced his independence as much as possible. A little incontinence care, some ROM exercises, few lifts here and there, other than that...treat him like a human, but have knowledge to navigate or recognize issues when needed.

He has some more travels planned next year and I look forward to joining him. He has the means to pay for his private medical companion, the term is not at all misleading.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have seen many private ads for snowbirds wanting medical companions while they flock from north to south or vice versa. Sounds like a legit business and I wish the poster the best, it is needed and valued.

OP
OP
K

KevinMTC

Forum Ride Along
All jobs are as needed when they come up. So you only work them if you want/can anyways. Just a nice little side gig on your off time. Thanks to all for your responses. If anyone has interest feel free to message me and well discuss further.