Medic To RN

EMT B

Forum Captain
What are people's thoughts on the Medic to RN bridge program?

Anjel

Forum Angel
What are people's thoughts on the Medic to RN bridge program?

I am finding that around here, the programs give preference to LPNs.

For example, the assessment class. LPNs get to use the beds, medics assess on the floor.

And they only reserve 25% of the spots for medics.

/rant.

That was just one program I looked into. The bridge program doesn't really cut out that much. I think I am just going to a regular ADN program and transferring to a university for my BSN.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I am currently enrolled in excelsior online colleges medic to RN program.

It is a great program but I do warn you it is not easy. Everything is self study based.

I'm doing A&P 1/2 right now and I have 300 pages to go in a very in depth 1200 page text. It's not easy if you don't understand a concept you have to learn it for yourself there is no one to help explain it.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I give you credit for doing it. There is no way I could teach myself all of that.

OP
OP
E

EMT B

Forum Captain
Well if i personally decided to go down tht path, my mom is a CRNA (former ER nurse and EMT-CC) so im sure she could help me :p but thanks for the heads up. id have to get my medic first anyway

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If your end goal is to be a nurse why not go to nursing school. Why make it harder on yourself by doing medic just to get rn?

Anjel

Forum Angel
If your end goal is to be a nurse why not go to nursing school. Why make it harder on yourself by doing medic just to get rn?

For me personally I want to do both. RN full time and medic part time.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I give you credit for doing it. There is no way I could teach myself all of that.

I admit I am exceptionally nervous for my first exam. Its one exam worth 6 credits in A&P. Your grade is your ultimate grade for an entire A&P 1/2 course.

Its only 120 questions long but they can ask anything they want...

Cost $415 to actually register for the exam. I paid the extra $75 for a pair of practice exams. I did one already, got a 60/100 so I would get a D atleast passing. Mind you I read 600 of 1200 pages when I took it. I hope I do great on the second one before I take the real test.

Well if i personally decided to go down tht path, my mom is a CRNA (former ER nurse and EMT-CC) so im sure she could help me :p but thanks for the heads up. id have to get my medic first anyway

Thats awesome, I would love to be a CRNA. Currently my goal is to work up to CRNA or DNP and work as a firefighter or remain an RN, complete prereqs for med school and return to school at 39 when I can retire as a firefighter.

I just can't bring myself to give up a career in firefighting. As much as I would love to be a physician atleast nursing allows me a progressive route that I can do some medicine to be satisfied and still run into burning buildings.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
For example, the assessment class. LPNs get to use the beds, medics assess on the floor.

Honestly, that sounds like playing to each certifications strengths. Most of my assessments don't take place on a bed anyhow :lol:

OP
OP
E

EMT B

Forum Captain
hi NY medic im just posting here cause i need one more post till ican reply to your pm ;) lol

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Recent graduated with an ADN degree. I have been a paramedic for over 5 years. I did an on-line program through our local community college. Most hospitals in our region are looking for BSN degrees. Some are still hiring RN with the expectation they will be BSN within 6 years.

The on-line program was highly competitive as they only accepted 10 students per year. The paramedic background helped getting in. A lot of the subject matter was review but there was also new material. My background helped in IV starts, med administration and assessments.

EMT2PAC

Forum Crew Member
I tutor a lot of pre-nursing students. If you are already a paramedic then I think you would have a major leg up on them.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you're an EMT, I would HIGHLY recommend going to a traditional RN program, either an ADN or a BSN program, and then challenging the Paramedic license, if you want to end up with both licenses. I started out long ago not pursuing an RN license, so I went Paramedic first. While that is still giving me a leg up in assessing and whatnot, that advantage is starting to level out with my peers.

I will, however, begin pursuing a BSN as soon as I pass the NCLEX-RN because it'll make me more competitive for jobs at some hospitals and because I have a 1st Bachelor's, the timeline to get the BSN will be quite short, just 2 semesters, once I begin the program.

So, look at your options, and figure out what you want to do. If you can afford it, you could do Paramedic while waiting to get into an RN program... but that's a judgment call.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
then challenging the Paramedic license, if you want to end up with both licenses

I am looking into the process now. From what I understand my state (Missouri) allows RNs to work on ambulances within their RN scope but does not allow RNs to challenge the exam for the title of Paramedic. It is all very complicated.

I looked into Creighton but you need two years ICU for that. There is a 3 month bridge program in Kansas city but I dont live there and it is $4k. I called a local paramedic program and they do not offer any type of bridge and would not credit any classes.

Illinois has PHRN so I may look into crossing the river for that.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I am looking into the process now. From what I understand my state (Missouri) allows RNs to work on ambulances within their RN scope but does not allow RNs to challenge the exam for the title of Paramedic. It is all very complicated.

I looked into Creighton but you need two years ICU for that. There is a 3 month bridge program in Kansas city but I dont live there and it is $4k. I called a local paramedic program and they do not offer any type of bridge and would not credit any classes.

You may need to look at whether or not your State will allow someone who has challenged and passed the NREMT-P to be licensed in your State as a Paramedic, or if they require all Paramedics be graduates of a Paramedic training program of some type. Good luck!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Akulhawk,
I am just curious, Why did you choose to go to RN school instead of say... PA or athletic trainer or mid level provider? I just noticed you have a BS degree in health science related field already

Last edited by a moderator:

flhtci01

Forum Captain
I am just curious, Why did you choose to go to RN school instead of say... PA or athletic trainer or mid level provider? I just noticed you have a BS degree in health science related field already

There were a couple of BS health science related in my class. After getting the ADN, they were eligible to go for their MSN.

did it help at all with intubation?

That's not in nursing scope of practice.

flhtci01

Forum Captain

You will need your RN plus ACLS and PALS then find a PHRN class. After completing it, you can practice the EMS scope of practice.