Medic Students!!!

itzfrank

Forum Crew Member
Illinois State Test

Took IL State Medic test yesterday. I felt it was very difficult. I'll let ya know how I did when I know.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So... how'd ya do?

We're going over 12-leads tonight.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
We stuck eachother.

Sticking eachother is how I earned the nickname of La Magra AKA The Blood God.
(a few years ago)In my medic class, we also had a day of doing live sticks on each other. We'd had lots of sticks on the fake arm, but we all had to do live sticks. My IV partner, well, let's just say that a couple centuries ago, he'd have been a fantastic blood-letter...
We stick each other. It did hurt, and I have endured lip piercing that hurt way less than the new medic student trying to stick an IV in me.
It did hurt... the closest I've ever come to doing a self-stick was when I was helping a medic student (different class, 2 years after me) get a stick on me... (yes, I volunteered)... he was going too slow and it was getting irritatingly painful.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

itzfrank

Forum Crew Member
Wish I Knew

Would love to know how I did on the test. But in the great state of Illinois, we have "pointless waiting". Anytime you interact with the state, there is a lengthy wait time. They said w/in 2 weeks, so I've basically got 1 more week.

"Pointless waiting" applies to all government services in Illinois.

Example: Changing your address at the DMV: +/- 4 Hours.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yes they are... and you'll never look at a 3-lead monitor the same. ;)

Mainly because you'll have double vision from pounding your head into the wall in 12 lead learning frustration.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Mainly because you'll have double vision from pounding your head into the wall in 12 lead learning frustration.

Or you freak out and start putting those three leads in V1-V3

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm getting anxious! Doing my final internship with a medic that no one seems to know anythi about. I want to get this over with and get my damned license!

Sasha

Forum Chief
If anything, sticking eachother makes you more apprehensive then sticking a pt, because a pt can't stick you back!

Screw up on a classmate, wiggle the catheter around in their arm, and remember that they get to poke you in about 30 seconds....

That's why you volunteer to be stuck first and never get the same partner twice.

We stick each other. It did hurt, and I have endured lip piercing that hurt way less than the new medic student trying to stick an IV in me.

And that's what happens when you stick a tendon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I actually liked going over 12-leads and it clicked right away--- 'tis my auditory learning style.

I found 12 leads fairly easy to pick up. I had a bit of trouble remembering what lead was looking at what so our instructor made these transparent papers that basically overlaid what you were looking at. So you can set the 12lead under this paper, still see the 12 lead and it's color coded into septal, inferior, etc.

itzfrank

Forum Crew Member
Transition...

So, I'm not a medic student anymore. I'm a paramedic. Passed it.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I found 12 leads fairly easy to pick up. I had a bit of trouble remembering what lead was looking at what so our instructor made these transparent papers that basically overlaid what you were looking at. So you can set the 12lead under this paper, still see the 12 lead and it's color coded into septal, inferior, etc.

Ours gave us a handout that delineated that as well, and also gave us another picture that was of a heart, and it showed the portions of the heart each lead looked at.

Don't mind the blurriness, it was taken using my phone... obviously you should know where inferior, septal, anterior, and lateral are at.

miz9ja.jpg

Sasha

Forum Chief
1237222829.jpg

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok, first pic is the 'legend' at the bottom.

3856997351_30bd984108_b.jpg

Second pic is the entire sheet, you can see how it's transparent with the keys behind the paper.

3856997637_51ed71019c_b.jpg