Medic Students!!!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Picking clinicals tonight. They do it based off GPA, so I'll have my pick of the lot ^_^

I can work the clinicals around my schedule so I don't have to miss any work.

Sucks for the people with lower grades in class. They get what's left.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Passed my term final. I have a few weeks off, then onto the final term.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Picking clinicals tonight. They do it based off GPA, so I'll have my pick of the lot ^_^

I can work the clinicals around my schedule so I don't have to miss any work.

Sucks for the people with lower grades in class. They get what's left.

Does your school allow you to do clinicals (hospital or ambulance) overnight? We are required to pick our clinicals between 6am and midnight for both hospital and ambulance clinicals. So it kinda sucks you get pidgeon holed into certain hours if you are on a day shift job and can't grind out the hours doing clinicals. Easier if you work third, do clinicals during the day, work at night :)

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Does your school allow you to do clinicals (hospital or ambulance) overnight? We are required to pick our clinicals between 6am and midnight for both hospital and ambulance clinicals. So it kinda sucks you get pidgeon holed into certain hours if you are on a day shift job and can't grind out the hours doing clinicals. Easier if you work third, do clinicals during the day, work at night :)

At my school, we can do any shift that the ambulance companies/fire depts offer to their employees. So, that includes overnights. The only restriction is that you can't do more than 12 hours per day (one of the students in a previous class got into an accident after doing 24 hours of clinicals, so they decided to put that rule in place)

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Dom

Any shift the hospital allows. At one you can do 7a-7p shift or do the following 7p-7a shift. Another Ed does 7-3,3-11,11-7.

Other places like the OR or L&D do 7a-3p.

We don't do any ambulance time till the end when we do a month long internship.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Well the same, we can't do the ambulance time until we have finished our requirements in the hospitals. We can currently do clinicals for ANY scheduled time between 6a-midnight. We can only do 12 hour shifts in the adult ER. Our Peds ER and OR, and Adult OR, L&D, Psych, and ICU/CCU are 8 hours at a time only. This is mainly due to the legal dept's at the hospitals and other classes students screwing things up. (We are the first program in about 10 years to get into the Peds OR and ER because of past screwups, and it's only because our program is associated with the local Level1 Trauma center). We also could only do our morgue time behind glass and no where near the rooms because of past screw ups.

Our ambulance time however we can do all 18 hours if the service has quarters, if that option isn't available then we are tied to their shift schedules. There are two services with quarters (one of which is the one I'm going to be with). So our options are 18 hours if we can swing it or 12 hours (with possible 1-2 hours of holdover)

Side note: I did get stuck at the station when we had the ice storm here in Kentucky, I was doing ride time as a basic (we had to do 100 hours of riding as a basic EMT at the start of class) and I did a 5pm-midnight shift and ended up staying for about 30 hours total till I could get my car out and safely travel home. For the overnight every run was 1.5 hours of time if we transported, but that was a one-off situation.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
All signed up for the first batch... going to be a LONG few weeks... especially with the fact I have to drive atleast an hour to class and to the hospitals. 110 miles per trip...

Couple days I'll be up at 4:30am and won't be home till midnight. Gah

Oct 10 3p-11p CMC ED 8
Oct 12 7a-3p PSC OR 8
Oct 13 7a-7p CMC ITT 12
Oct 14 7a-3p PHOP L&D 8
Oct 19 7a-3p PSC OR 8
Oct 20 7a-3p St. Paul School 8
Oct 21 7a-7p PHOP ED 12
Oct 22 3p-11p CMC ED 8
Oct 28 7a-7p PHOP ED 12
Oct 29 7a-3p MCM ED 8
Oct 30 3p-11p PHOP ICU 8
Nov 3 7a-7p MCM ED 12
Nov 4 7a-3p PHOP Cath Lab 8
Nov 10 7a-3p MCM ED 8
Nov 11 7a-3p PHOP ICU 8
Nov 12 7a-7p MCM ED 12
Nov 17 7a-7p MCM ED 12
Nov 18 3p-11p PHOP ED 8

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Busy schedule, I wish I could get mine setup but I don't know what work will look like for October =/

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I will either be doing medic class, clinicals, classes at my other college, or working, just about everyday until the end of December.

StreetPharmacist

Forum Crew Member
Started class today! Little overwhelming considering the amount of info to be covered and the amount of time to do it. 7 month class 3 days a week 8 hours a day MWT 8-5. Clinicals don't start till Nov. 680 hours class time and 630 hours of clinicals. :wacko: Going to be a tough 7 months (no life). I just finished basic class in July! That class was 262 hours, clinicals were only 36 hours. I read on here that most other basic classes are only 110 hours, oh well.Btw Im new here so Id like to say hi to all.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Filled out my clinical schedule today for Peds OR and Peds ER. I'm doing both before Adult OR/ER so I'm...what's that word....nervous :p

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
When did everyones class start and when is it ending?

My class started a year ago next week. We take our class final on Oct 8th and beginning clinical's the week after that. We'll be ready for boards around next summer. So the lecture has been a year on a rotating schedule (2 days one week, 1 day the next week for 6 hours each day)

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
It's been an amazing class though. I'm very happy with the length. If I could have feasibly done a two year or more program I would have.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Long is relative. When compared to the education of other health professions, the hours per week are a mere drop in the bucket as is the total length.

Long is waiting for the state to process the paperwork and send it back :[ All this time and now I still have to wait. So close!

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
I actually finished my (community college) program last month... I must say, that logistically, it was a complete nightmare, and I am left with some very mixed feelings about the whole experience. With all of the BS (not to be confused with Baccalaureate) that went down, I'm just glad it's over.

I did however, manage to complete an Emergency Medical Services AAS degree (thanks, in no small part, to previous B.S.) by the end of the course. Unfortunately, Fire Depts run the show here, so I'm essentially a card carrying member without a home... for now