Medic Students!!!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
PALS was an interesting class, but I found PEPP to be better at guiding me in assessing pediatric patients.

medic417

The Truth Provider

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I hated PALS, I liked PEPP much better. Our next classes are two days of AMLS, looking forward to that.

AMLS?

I'm with you, I got so much more out of PEPP than PALS

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
AMLS = Advanced Medical Life Support. That's one course I plan to take as soon as I can...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
AMLS = Advanced Medical Life Support. That's one course I plan to take as soon as I can...
Thank ya. I wish I could find someone here in NM that might offer it though...

STABLE is another course that is on my list of certs to get. I'm signed up for the class put on by the healthcare system I work for in about 3 months.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
From what I have heard AMLS is pretty new and is by the same people who put together the PHTLS cirriculum (which I really liked). There are very few AMLS instructors, my instructor is the only one (maybe one other) in Kentucky.

audreyj

Forum Probie
Hey all! I fall into the student ranks, I started medic school Aug 10 and will finish Jun 1, 2010. Had my first clinical on 9/3 and will continue to do clinicals during the class. We're in class MW 6-10 and only have about 4 or 5 days off during the entire program. We start IV next month and intubation is soon to follow. We can only sign up for clinical rotations after we've lectured on that particular topic. We can ride whenever we want, whatever the dept allows, the one I'm riding with allows 24 hour shifts if you want, just sign up at the fire house. Shifts at the hospital are whenever their normal shifts are, we can only do 8 hrs in a day and back to back shifts are prohibited except when we only need 4 hours in a certain area, that is acceptable to do back to back. OR time is only done between 7a-3p and you go as many times as you need to obtain 6 complete intubations.

I can't wait until we get to do things beyond the scope of a basic!

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Really? They let you ride before schools over and before clinicals are finished? Do these ride time hours count towards your total ride time hours and contacts required by the end of class?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Clinical starts on the 22nd for me. Gotta pay for my malpractice insurance tomorrow night...

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Really? They let you ride before schools over and before clinicals are finished? Do these ride time hours count towards your total ride time hours and contacts required by the end of class?

Yes and yes.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Is this common practice? In Kentucky you can't do ride times until you've finished class and you've finished clinicals.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Is this common practice? In Kentucky you can't do ride times until you've finished class and you've finished clinicals.

I know here in NM it can be done several ways. One is the way you're used to. My program had us do a 3 week internship after the first term was completed and then the final 8 week internship after the program itself was completed

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...

Depends on the program. My program is three semesters long. First semester, you can only perform assessments and observation in addition to your BLS skills. Toward the end of the first semester, we begin intravenous access. Come the second semester, we assess/observe and start IVs. During the second semester, we take BTLS and ACLS. Then, in the third semester, we basically run the show. We can perform all of our ALS skills and make all the decisions on patient care.

Some programs require you to finish class first before beginning any of your MICU clinical. I like the teired "gradually add skills" approach of our program because it allows you to learn it in a classroom, then turn around and start applying it in the real world almost immediately, as opposed to having to learn and retain all of it before performing any of it on a live patient.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on the program. My program is three semesters long. First semester, you can only perform assessments and observation in addition to your BLS skills. Toward the end of the first semester, we begin intravenous access. Come the second semester, we assess/observe and start IVs. During the second semester, we take BTLS and ACLS. Then, in the third semester, we basically run the show. We can perform all of our ALS skills and make all the decisions on patient care.

Some programs require you to finish class first before beginning any of your MICU clinical. I like the teired "gradually add skills" approach of our program because it allows you to learn it in a classroom, then turn around and start applying it in the real world almost immediately, as opposed to having to learn and retain all of it before performing any of it on a live patient.

At first the idea sounded terrible, but the way you explain it makes sense. I would think that approach would only work out well if you were also doing 2-3x the normally required hours. I mean that's just my opinion but I do like that approach and was something I would have liked to have done. But I'm the sadist who would have said 3-4x the hours to get the time needed. My fellow classmates would have lynched me :) I am the only one who didn't complain about the 100 hours of basic ride time we completed at the beginning.

Sasha

Forum Chief

Our clinicals and ride times were concurrent with our class time.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We got almost 4 and a half months in to the class before we even start clinicals. One reason is the childrens hospital will not let us work there until after we have PALS completed, which we finish this Friday, and we did ACLS the week before.

I like it though... we've done strictly A&P, pulmonology, and cardiology since class started back in May. Makes things click just that much more, and we aren't stuck doing only EMT stuff while in MEDIC clinicals.

Our actual ride time in in February, after the class final, so we basically run the show on every call (scary...)

What I want to know, EMTinNEPA, is why you have to pay for your own insurance for class? :wacko: