Medic Students!!!

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
I just got done with the Medical Emergencies portion of the course and I thought that was the hardest part of the course so far even with Pharmacology and ACLS/Cardiology/12 Leads done. That part of the course I am taking was easier because it was all about one system. I start PALS on Thursday then I have a AMLS and EVOC left to do.

I actually like doing Clinical time especially since I did all of mine at a Level 1 Trauma Center. I got a long with all the nurses and got to do a lot of IV starts without Supervision even though I had never even attempted an IV before starting Medic Class. They let me give Meds without supervision as well. One thing I learned is when you see a Nurse go to the Medicine Cart/Machine go with them and ask to help out.

I also love doing the Ride Times with Omaha Fire Dept because we get a lot of good calls as well as the "No Patient" calls. I get along with all the Paramedics with OFD because I am all about abiding by the rules of the station and volunteering to help out where I can and wanting to do skills in the back of the Bus.

Good Luck to everyone, study hard and study lots and you'll make it through. Remember according to most Medics I have came in contact with have said that you learn the majority of the Trade out in the Field not in the classroom!

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
How are you folks liking your programs now that we are around the mid term part of the semester? Anything you arent grasping and maybe we could help?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I fail at the endocrine system. Absolutely fail! I understand the anatomy but I just can't grasp the origin of hormones.

I also feel that since I focus so much on the section we are in that I am losing the finer points of previous sections such as airway metabolic acid/base compensatory mechanisms to be really specific.

Other than that I love my program. I feel fortunate to be that last program with our current director. I couldn't imagine it without him being there to help with hw and post-test clarification. My only issue is we are constantly pushed to think critically and to think outside the box but when it comes to national registry style questions we all (as a class) tend to blow it because we go to deep into the questions. That said, I'd rather be taught the we I am now then adjust my style to NREMT for the test rather than visa versa.

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
How are you folks liking your programs now that we are around the mid term part of the semester? Anything you arent grasping and maybe we could help?

First off thanks for asking! We just finished our first module(out of 6) and started pharmacology 3 weeks ago. Got my first two intubations in the OR yesterday. Things are going really well I think. Our class is strong(minus 1 who still can't put her steth in right or get a accurate BP). We are memorizing new drugs each week and doing scenarios quite a bit more. So far I'm loving P-School even with the stress!

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I fail at the endocrine system. Absolutely fail! I understand the anatomy but I just can't grasp the origin of hormones.

I also feel that since I focus so much on the section we are in that I am losing the finer points of previous sections such as airway metabolic acid/base compensatory mechanisms to be really specific.

Other than that I love my program. I feel fortunate to be that last program with our current director. I couldn't imagine it without him being there to help with hw and post-test clarification. My only issue is we are constantly pushed to think critically and to think outside the box but when it comes to national registry style questions we all (as a class) tend to blow it because we go to deep into the questions. That said, I'd rather be taught the we I am now then adjust my style to NREMT for the test rather than visa versa.

I wouldnt sweat the origins of hormones difficulty too much. Sure, the more you learn in school, the better. But lets be honest, that information isnt going to affect how you treat a patient very often! Glad things are going well for you so far.

First off thanks for asking! We just finished our first module(out of 6) and started pharmacology 3 weeks ago. Got my first two intubations in the OR yesterday. Things are going really well I think. Our class is strong(minus 1 who still can't put her steth in right or get a accurate BP). We are memorizing new drugs each week and doing scenarios quite a bit more. So far I'm loving P-School even with the stress!

That stinks that you have a weak link in there.

There are always a few who just dont get it, the practical portion of the National Registry is gonna eat her up. Congrats on your first couple of tubes!

Stuff that does stuff to the body, whether or not the body wants it done.

;)

Nailed it.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
Completed my required Emergency Department clinicals as of last week. Now on to OR and psych (we are cleared to do all clinical rotations. We have 317 total required as per the course).

Completed GEMS as of today and next course day we start our trauma module.

So it continues...:cool:

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant

So I saw in class on friday that they got your pics up on the back wall. One of my classmates said he knows alot of ya and you have a pretty strong class. BTW do you guys use the breakout rooms or the apartment?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Completed my required Emergency Department clinicals as of last week. Now on to OR and psych (we are cleared to do all clinical rotations. We have 317 total required as per the course).

Completed GEMS as of today and next course day we start our trauma module.

So it continues...:cool:

The OR is super fun, especially if the docs and surgeons are cool with you being there. You might find yourself assisting in a procedure if you catch them on a good day. Plus its a great place to practice IV skills.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
The OR is super fun, especially if the docs and surgeons are cool with you being there. You might find yourself assisting in a procedure if you catch them on a good day. Plus its a great place to practice IV skills.

I'm all for assisting in anything and getting as much experience as I can. As far as I'm concerned one can never have enough experience starting IVs. I'm also told by current Medics that OR is where I'll get the ET Tubes. Can't wait!

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'm also told by current Medics that OR is where I'll get the ET Tubes. Can't wait!

If you're lucky. All my classmates got their tubes there.... I didn't.

My anesthesiologist was of the "OPA/BVM is all you need" and while true and I try to maintain that thought, and glad he took the time to prove it... really doesn't help a Paramedic student much when they get NO intubations prior to graduation.

My first intubation on a live patient was also my first RSI in the field.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
If you're lucky. All my classmates got their tubes there.... I didn't.

My anesthesiologist was of the "OPA/BVM is all you need" and while true and I try to maintain that thought, and glad he took the time to prove it... really doesn't help a Paramedic student much when they get NO intubations prior to graduation.

My first intubation on a live patient was also my first RSI in the field.

Ugh, that sucks, the anesthesiologists here really loved doing spinal blocks...but fortunately I did all my OR rotations on Christmas break so there were plenty of surgeries scheduled. I was even lucky enough to get a couple in the ER.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So I don't remember who said it but I will 100% agree that medical is much more difficult than cardiology.

We did 4 1/2 weeks on cardiology, and 3 1/2 weeks on medical. Talk about drinking from a firehose.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Its really :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing agitating when myself and two others go out of our way to make flash cards and study tools and try to share them by having a study group and the other people in class :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and moan and are straight disrespectful when we are trying to help them. Then we are the bad guys when we speak up about it.

The 3 of us are all doing extremely well we don't need to go out of our way to help those that are struggling, but we do. Yet they act like little kids... Best part is, I'm the youngest person in the class by a year or so....

/rant

Sorry I'm just a little pissed off.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Its really :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing agitating when myself and two others go out of our way to make flash cards and study tools and try to share them by having a study group and the other people in class :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and moan and are straight disrespectful when we are trying to help them. Then we are the bad guys when we speak up about it.

The 3 of us are all doing extremely well we don't need to go out of our way to help those that are struggling, but we do. Yet they act like little kids... Best part is, I'm the youngest person in the class by a year or so....

I had the same thing happen in my medic class. I would answer the teachers questions all the time as I got tired of people taking way too damn long. I'd helped a few classmates, but one was 'too proud' to accept it. Eventually this one kid in my class (I said kid even though I too, was the youngest) said "We get it Steve, you're smart, now let us try"

He came up to me several weeks later asking for help. I said no. He failed out. His issue, not mine. Don't piss off someone then ask for their help.

Sorry, if you're not getting it, don't expect me to handicap MY learning for you to catch up.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm not quick to answer questions in class for the exact thing you dealt with. I keep my mouth shut unless the gap is painful.
It doesn't help when the teacher throws me under the bus telling the class I was the high grade on a quiz/test/exam. I have a feeling it is their way of trying to push the class with the whole "the young guy is whooping your butts, pick it up".

We have 9 people out of 12 who started left. Less people means more reps which is good from an educational stand point. Although outside of class I do like my classmates, some more than others, but all in all they are good guys and girl. Yes 8 guys 1 girl (I don't understand how she deals with our shenanigans sometimes) I don't want to see any of them leave but I definitely am pretty much done with trying to help.

For what its worth the girl in my class is one of the three I mentioned, there's another guy that is busting his *** and taking all the help we will give him it just hasn't clicked for him yet. The other 5 are the problem.

Side note: I despise the 'Lil Guy' nickname I have been given. I guess just kill 'em with kindness and ignore it. The instructors approached me about them talking to the class about my nickname but I told them to leave it be and that I was going to prove a point through performance.

edit: thanks Linuss, I thought I might have been the douche, I've been a bit edgy since I quit smoking. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person who is irked by people like this.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Wow 9 people in your class, thats awesome!

Ours has about 30 and its annoying as hell. I would love to have a more "one on one" type experience.

Quite a few *** hats in my group too.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wow 9 people in your class, thats awesome!

Ours has about 30 and its annoying as hell. I would love to have a more "one on one" type experience.

Quite a few *** hats in my group too.

It's super nice. On lab days we run crews of 3. Hour long stations x 7 hours makes for a lot of hands on time.

Don't want to gloat but about a third give or take, of our lectures are taught by advanced level providers. (MDs, NPs and PAs all of whom hold a Paramedic cert with field experience). When it comes down to it I love my program and the teachers.

Now if more than 4/9 actually actually were interested in the medicine rather than doing it to get on with an FD, life would be perfect!

Fun drinking buddies, bums of classmates. :rolleyes: