Medic Students!!!

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! :beerchug:

Indeed. We are so ready for the course to come to an end but also scared s******* to actually be starting NR prep. We trust our instructor though so it's well worth it. Then again there is plenty to look after until the course end.

How much longer do you have in your course?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Indeed. We are so ready for the course to come to an end but also scared s******* to actually be starting NR prep. We trust our instructor though so it's well worth it. Then again there is plenty to look after until the course end.

How much longer do you have in your course?

Didactic final is January 17th. Then clinicals and internship until June the the NREMT. So I guess I really can't see the real light, only the light at the end of didactic tunnel. I'm really not afraid of the NREMT test, like I said it's our didactic final that scares me :ph34r:

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
Didactic final is January 17th. Then clinicals and internship until June the the NREMT. So I guess I really can't see the real light, only the light at the end of didactic tunnel. I'm really not afraid of the NREMT test, like I said it's our didactic final that scares me :ph34r:

We have been doing clinical rotations throughout class. The way our school does it: Didactic with clinical rotations, National Registry, then field internship. So I'm with you on the didactic portion. If we can get past the final we can rock out the NR (at least that's what we are thinking...) :rolleyes: I'm just thankful for my classmates because this journey would be so much harder if we weren't there to support each other through it. There is just something about going through a course like this that seems to forge a bond and lasting friendships. :cool:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have been doing clinical rotations throughout class. The way our school does it: Didactic with clinical rotations, National Registry, then field internship. So I'm with you on the didactic portion. If we can get past the final we can rock out the NR (at least that's what we are thinking...) :rolleyes: I'm just thankful for my classmates because this journey would be so much harder if we weren't there to support each other through it. There is just something about going through a course like this that seems to forge a bond and lasting friendships. :cool:

It would have been super difficult for me to do rotations during class along with working, I like our setup since we have all the knowledge from class to apply during our rotations rather than only bits and pieces. A bunch of my classmates have been doing ride-alongs during didactic and are allowed to operate up to what we have learned in class. I didn't ride since I work on the truck anyways.

Agreed so much on the bond with classmates. We have a little friction with one guy in our class but other than that we are one big happy crew most of the time. i definitely have formed great friendships with classmates. It would be horrible not to, we spend more time together than most of us do with our families! Study groups keep me sane, I can only study alone so much before I get distracted. Look at this post for example, my pandora station stopped playing good songs and now I'm on here trying to decide what to listen to while I read my lovely PALS book :ph34r:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
OG/GYN scenario today, had a prolapsed cord presentation. This is how I know we only have 16 days of didactic left. *I was an observer but it was comedy gold, if I can get a hold of the video I'll post it up*

Instructor through the high fidelity mannequin: "Owwwww ouch oww! Why is his hand in my vagina!?!?!?"
Classmate: "Ma'am your baby is having a truly life-life threatening emergency we need to get you to the hospital, he's a really nice guy I promise, we will get to the introductions later!"

I guess you had to be there but it was priceless. 5 hours of lecture followed by scenarios can make you a bit delirious.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Been awhile since I posted. Didactic complete. Three more exams this next week, then all I have left is internship, then registry. I see daylight at the end of the tunnel.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
NRP done. PALS tomorrow and Thursday then no more 4 letter classes for two years!

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
First semester near complete.. ACLS on saturday and semester final on the 15th. Cardiac has definitely kicked my ***

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
All my course exams are complete and passed. Alphabet soup classes are done and passed. All that is left is internship and the NREMT exam!

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
All my course exams are complete and passed. Alphabet soup classes are done and passed. All that is left is internship and the NREMT exam!

Sounds like we are at the same stage of the process. I can not wait to get internship started in January.

Sent from my mobile on tap talk please excuse the typos

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
I don't know about the other programs but given a very large scope of practice in our state, and in our area services (No Med control for such things as RSI, Fibrinolytics, surgical airways, and the protocols do nothing more than specify what is to be on the trucks and used at the medics discretion save very few specific illness/ injuries) we do around 400+ hours of clinicals during class; then another 600 hours or so of internship. During clinical time the preceptor is directing us based on our current competencies and skill set as to where we are in the program. During our Internship time we are functioning as the lead medic and the only time the preceptor will step in is to prevent a major error. We are allowed to use our preceptors on some scenes but we must direct what is to be done like we were the senior medic on the truck.

FF

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
We had to have almost 600 hours in clinical or Ride A Long setting, while going to class 2 days a week all day long. We also had to have 50 total team leads (acting as the senior Medic).

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
600 hours for internship, that sounds fantastic!

Ours was more about getting a certain number of calls and performing a certain number of interventions. No mandatory hours which i though kinda sucked.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's interesting to me that many of your programs do the internship portion after class is finished instead of during.

I'd rather do it all at the end. Finished with class so I have the entire knowledge base to work off of and can operate as a medic only restricted by agency protocols and my preceptor if I decide to do something dumb or dangerous.

We have a minimum of 480 hours required for our internship. Maximum of 720 hours, plus clinical time.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Didactic final on the 17th. Then on to clinicals and Internship. About damn time.

Any tricks on logging FISDAP stuff during clinicals. On the floors we can use the computers for it if it's slow. In the ER it's too busy.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Didactic final on the 17th. Then on to clinicals and Internship. About damn time.

Any tricks on logging FISDAP stuff during clinicals. On the floors we can use the computers for it if it's slow. In the ER it's too busy.

Fisdap?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

From what I can figure it's skills and pt contact tracking and documentation for students?

Someone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong.