Medic Students!!!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The actions of acetylcholine in the pre/postganglionic neurons has thoroughly confused me today lol

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Nervous

ACLS coming up next week, Nervous for my ACLS Megacode in a month and a half! :mellow:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I was just accepted to, and am taking entry into a well respected Paramedic program for entry in July 2012. I'm very excited, especially after the application process.

Last edited by a moderator:

mct601

RN/NRP
I am officially paid up and waiting for the National EMS Academy to start up August 15th. I plan to do like Linuss did and periodically post my experiences here throughout the class so others who are thinking about medic school can see someone's road. I might take a detailed journal a couple times a week and release it in its entirety after the class is over.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
Megacodes aren't bad once you learn the rhythms, proper drugs and doses, and simulate a few in the classroom. Practice as much as you can so when you are presented with the real deal in the field, you won't even think about it, you will just react.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
when you are presented with the real deal in the field, you won't even think about it, you will just react.

That's the truth, Truth!

truth.png

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have capnography and ventilator management coming out of my ears! Airway control labs for 8 hours tomorrow, woohoo! Who's gonna volunteer to be RSI'd? hahaha

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
We got through AMLS a couple weeks ago, which I really enjoyed, and have PALS, GEMS, and PHTLS in the coming months. Something I was thinking about in discussion with my classmates at class on Saturday is that we seem to be getting burned out. I know it happens, and that it will pass, but the "games" of class really seem to be getting to some of them. Especially with life outside of class. They have also extended our class by a month, which we hope to get an explanation for when our lead instructor is back this Saturday. :wacko: Other than that, still enjoying it so much and also ready to be done with it.

Clinical rotations are awesome! ^_^

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
Glad that somebody is enjoying it. Our clinicals are pretty boring. Assessing patients gets old quickly for me.

Internship time on the medic units is waaaay more exiting to me.

I can't wait for the internship but we have a while before we get to them. I just find that clinicals are helping everything we have learned in the last 6 months or so come more into focus. Some of my classmates are waiting until class is over to even start their clinical hours. I couldn't wait to jump in and start putting my skills to use.

NREMTroe

Forum Crew Member
Yesterday was our first day of class. We watched some long drawn out history of EMS. Some of it was pretty interesting, but for the most part it was pretty boring. We start on airway stuff tomorrow, and I can't wait for the year to get going pretty good.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yesterday was our first day of class. We watched some long drawn out history of EMS. Some of it was pretty interesting, but for the most part it was pretty boring. We start on airway stuff tomorrow, and I can't wait for the year to get going pretty good.

Your super lucky! Our entire first month was history, well being, ethics, roles/responsibilities and law, it was a long first month.

I have my division 2 exam tomorrow on pulmonology, it's judgement day #2. Wish me luck!

palmer1121

Forum Crew Member
First day of last semester was yesterday. 16 weeks 2 days til we take national registry. Not that Im counting or anything :rolleyes:

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I can't wait for the internship but we have a while before we get to them. I just find that clinicals are helping everything we have learned in the last 6 months or so come more into focus. Some of my classmates are waiting until class is over to even start their clinical hours. I couldn't wait to jump in and start putting my skills to use.

We do our clinicals and internships during the semester along with our classes. Its helpful because we learn a skill in class, and then perform it in the field while its still fresh in our minds.

Clinicals, for the most part, are boring. Lots of paperwork and getting practice assessing patients. And when i say "assess" i dont mean just the usual assessment that we would do on scene. There is a 2 page paper that lists every possible symptom, injury, past surgery, medication, and a head to toe review of systems. I understand why we do it, and its valuable stuff, it just get boring after a while when you are walking around a telemetry unit talking to old folks.

On a good session ill get to start some IVs, push some meds, and be an extra set of hands if a code comes in. I like the time we spend in the ER/PEDS MUCH better than the time we spend in telemetry and OB. Although i did get to assist in a birth last semester. And if your hospital is ok with it you might get to practice some intubations in surgery. If you have a cool anesthesiologist they are usually willing to let you get an attemp.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Any classes this semester that you guys/gals are looking forward to? In fear of?

Im taking Advanced Pathophysiology and i think its going to killer. We get to do lots of case studies and will spent part of each class session in the cadaver lab.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Terrified of cardiology. Looking forward to ITLS Access and Trauma and WMD/Biological agents (bring on the hate :) )

The cadaver lab is going to be sweet along with all the airway challenges we do once a week on top of our patient assessment labs.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Terrified of cardiology. Looking forward to ITLS Access and Trauma and WMD/Biological agents (bring on the hate :) )

The cadaver lab is going to be sweet along with all the airway challenges we do once a week on top of our patient assessment labs.

No hate from me, I always found biological agents to be fascinating, especially the nerve agents like VX and sarin.

Anyways, I'm just about to the point where I am no longer a medic student :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Anyways, I'm just about to the point where I am no longer a medic student :p

Shush!! I don't want to hear it! I still have 10 months left.