Medic Students!!!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Ugh, I am having the worst time getting successful IV's in my clinicals. I only had 1 successful stick yesterday out of 5; out of the 4 unsuccessful sticks, one of them I blew the vein, two I missed, and the other I hit a valve. How upsetting :(

I had the same problem, you will get better with more practice. You have some good and then some bad days.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Heh, I had one IV at work yesterday that I hit the valve so hard I bent the damn catheter. Never seen that happen before

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Heh, I had one IV at work yesterday that I hit the valve so hard I bent the damn catheter. Never seen that happen before

Wow, I've never seen that before

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Confused the hell out of the other Intermediate I was riding with too. We know I was in there since we had a good flash and no hematoma... but I pulled in anyways just in case.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Gearing up for the second and final semester of medic school.

AZnewbieMedic

Forum Probie
Brand Spanking New Car Smell - or Something like that....Medic Student

I will be starting my Medic classes in about 3 months. The school I attend is EMT-B straight into Medic with an Associates Degree....so for the next 12 weeks I will be taking General Education Classes required for my Degree. Having seen a small percentage of the drugs and a little of the Cardiology aspect of paramedicine I'm freaking out/excited....What or where could I find study guides or information on what I will be learning so that way I am a little ahead of the game by the time I start those classes?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
First day of class is today :) Leaving in a few minutes at 0630 to make it to the City in time for my 0800 class

TylorThuirer

Forum Ride Along
I'm about 5 months into my medic class. What a journey so far. I'm in a two year program (that included EMT-B and then 12 month EMT-P classes) that will get me my degree AAOS. Hoping that this August I'll be all done with my required calls, hospital time, and lab time. Then after that I had down to California to test since Oregon only tests twice a year. Just started PHTLS last week and it looks like most of this quarter will focus on trauma aka the good and exciting stuff.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm about 5 months into my medic class. What a journey so far. I'm in a two year program (that included EMT-B and then 12 month EMT-P classes) that will get me my degree AAOS. Hoping that this August I'll be all done with my required calls, hospital time, and lab time. Then after that I had down to California to test since Oregon only tests twice a year. Just started PHTLS last week and it looks like most of this quarter will focus on trauma aka the good and exciting stuff.

Well welcome to the site! Medic class quite the journey, where are you located in Oregon?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My partner took this of me and texted it to me when I woke up. The perfect example of a medic student in the wild
joker.jpg

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
I'm curious as to you other Medic students what intersts you the most so far after beginning classes? For me it's the Pharmacology by a long shot and I'm not just saying this because I like to "push" drugs.

Cardiology is neat but not really intersting to me as the effects of medicine.

Blade

Forum Ride Along
Starting Medic classes this coming thursday, so hopefully I can find time to read as much as I can on this site and not ask the same question everyone else asks. lol

Blade

Forum Ride Along
I will be starting my Medic classes in about 3 months. The school I attend is EMT-B straight into Medic with an Associates Degree....so for the next 12 weeks I will be taking General Education Classes required for my Degree. Having seen a small percentage of the drugs and a little of the Cardiology aspect of paramedicine I'm freaking out/excited....What or where could I find study guides or information on what I will be learning so that way I am a little ahead of the game by the time I start those classes?
It's not Fortis College by any chance is it? Dang it Shae, warn a guy when you join the same EMS forum, lmao! Have fun tomorrow in Psychology, I'll be sleepin in til class on thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm curious as to you other Medic students what intersts you the most so far after beginning classes? For me it's the Pharmacology by a long shot and I'm not just saying this because I like to "push" drugs.

Cardiology is neat but not really intersting to me as the effects of medicine.

I would have to say that airway manager and cardiology are the two most interesting areas for me

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well this Friday we get to do NG tubes on each other!! Can't wait to puke up some Fruity Loops cereal!

How...fun? :p

We just learned needle decompression and cricothyrotomys today :D

medic417

The Truth Provider
Well this Friday we get to do NG tubes on each other!! Can't wait to puke up some Fruity Loops cereal!

Just wait until you practice foley's on each other. Talk about knowing each other intimately.