Medic Students!!!

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
I could see letting your basic lapse long enough to have to re-take the class but paramedic?! I made that mistake with my Basic sure as sh** won't let it happen with my medic if and when I'm certified.

Sorry if this comes off as rude, it's not intended to be just that all that extra time, money , etc to do it 2 times around due to a lapse.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
The final was all a blank page with 50 spaces separated by three columns. You had to know dose-adult and ped, indication, one contraindication.

No words, no nothing. Just a bunch of blank spaces and a place to put your name.

My kinda test. I'd love to see something like that come up.

wiggy762

Forum Probie
It was a bad situation....

....a real comedy of errors.

I wrecked my knee skiing and then after 5 surgeries and many, many months of rehab, I had found a new job that I hated but it gave me the circumstances under which I met my wife. We celebrated 11 years of marriage last June.

To tell the truth, I was a great Paramedic, but a crappy person. I was way too immature. The intervening years and life have solved the immaturity problem. So now I can be both the great (maybe even better) medic, while also being the person I ought to be.

I could see letting your basic lapse long enough to have to re-take the class but paramedic?! I made that mistake with my Basic sure as sh** won't let it happen with my medic if and when I'm certified.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Not to mention a lot has changed over the years.

At least this way you'll be presented the new material all at once instead of having to gradually change your practices over the same time.

Well...at least for now :p

wiggy762

Forum Probie
Not to mention a lot has changed over the years.

At least this way you'll be presented the new material all at once instead of having to gradually change your practices over the same time.

Well...at least for now :p

I gotta admit...this stuff is a bunch easier the second time around! B)

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Well we had our midterm today...and I got an 87%, pretty pissed off at myself :/

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Yay, we started live IV's today...but I missed both of my attempts :/

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Don't feel bad.

We had to start our first live IVs on our classmates. It took me three tries to hit anything in my partner because he kept jerking. On the third, the paramedic assisting actually held him down, and I got it in just a few seconds.

My partner then turned me into a fountain when he left the catheter in my hand without occluding the vein <_<

So I found out all the drugs aren't going to be on the test this Thursday. Sometime soon we'll be getting the list with our 70ish drugs to start working on it.

Oh, well. At least I've got a head start.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Don't feel bad.

We had to start our first live IVs on our classmates. It took me three tries to hit anything in my partner because he kept jerking. On the third, the paramedic assisting actually held him down, and I got it in just a few seconds.

My partner then turned me into a fountain when he left the catheter in my hand without occluding the vein <_<

So I found out all the drugs aren't going to be on the test this Thursday. Sometime soon we'll be getting the list with our 70ish drugs to start working on it.

Oh, well. At least I've got a head start.

Yea, when we did our first night of classmate IV sticks you had to stick 4 times and be stuck 4 times...not as fun as it sounded on the receiving end. Overall it was an experience.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
yeah, we did them on eachother, but we only got two tries yesterday. My partner definitely hit something on his last attempt with me because there was a shooting pain that flew up my arm :wacko:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Second exam tonight.

270 questions. The things I did to that test are illegal in 11 states.

But I still don't feel like I know enough :mellow:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Second exam tonight.

270 questions. The things I did to that test are illegal in 11 states.

But I still don't feel like I know enough :mellow:

It only matters if it's illegal in your state ;) Good luck on the test btw lol

On a side note, got my first two successful IV sticks today, that's a relief :p

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
I still say flashback and good chest rise are two of the most beautiful things I've seen.

wiggy762

Forum Probie
Not rude at all...

Sorry if this comes off as rude, it's not intended to be just that all that extra time, money , etc to do it 2 times around due to a lapse.

I looked long and hard at coming back...

It was only after the rest of my family was at a place in their medical schooling (residency and RN graduation), that I knew it was my time.

Interesting factoid...after 20 years post initial Paramedic schooling, my recall is really good. I have been pleasantly surprised. Even with the significant changes in ACLS and treatment modalities, I am finding that I am not having much difficulty.

I guess this old dog can not only learn new things, but also can incorporate new stuff into my rusty toolbox.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Thanks! It was pretty fun but in my opinion a little over rated :)

You're welcome.

Why do you feel it was a little over rated?