Mchd ems, tx

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just wondering if we have anyone here who works for or could give a little info about MCHD EMS. I'm very curious about that agency for some reason... What do ya'll think about them?

TXMEDIC5317

Forum Crew Member
I live in Houston, near them. Their double medic trucks, over a large county. I had a buddy does his paramedic clinicals up there and said it was great, he got some good calls and the crews were cool. Thats all I know, hope it helps!

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thanks :) One of the things I am slightly confused about is something that came up in another thread. I've been told they run all ALS, and a lot of people out of TX consider that two medics... but I've been told they hire EMT-Is to run in the second ALS seat (confused me hwen I worked in TX that I was ALS, and medic was MICU, whereas in NM I was ILS and medics were ALS)

TXMEDIC5317

Forum Crew Member
Some depts in Texas consider intermediate's ALS some don't. It depends on protocols. I'll ask my buddy if they hire I's?

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
MCHD runs either intermediate/paramedic trucks or double paramedic trucks, good call volume, amazing equipment, great pay, decent benifits, theyre going through the hiring process right now so if you want to, submit an application as soon as you can, i have a few good friends that are paramedics up there and they love it

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Already done, that's why I was asking for more info :) Thanks man

EDIT: Just sent an offer to come out to MCHD on next Monday to test for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Pros: Progressive protocols. Strong medical direction. Good equipment. Good stations and vehicles. Heavy on mentoring and education.

Cons: The usual scheduling and politicking as any service. They are phasing out anything below a EMT-P (if you have good experience, you can still get in below that level). It's can get hot down here.

All in all, one of the best places near Houston to work as a Medic if you don't want to go Fire.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Anyone know if they have a volunteer program? It doesn't look like they talk about one on their website.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Anyone know if they have a volunteer program? It doesn't look like they talk about one on their website.

From what I've heard some of their county FDs have volunteers, but mchd is an all paid all ALS service.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
One last question about MCHD... anyone know what starting pay is? I got their email with the explanation of the PAT and benefits, but salary wasn't mentioned, and it's too late to call them today :p

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
One last question about MCHD... anyone know what starting pay is? I got their email with the explanation of the PAT and benefits, but salary wasn't mentioned, and it's too late to call them today :p

P1 without ITLS, ACLS, PALS, 12 lead, and TAP - $41,798. You'll get all of these within your first 90 days, then it increases to $43,798. Once you become a P2 In-Charge, you go up to $55,268.

Intermediates start at $37,541

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
P1 without ITLS, ACLS, PALS, 12 lead, and TAP - $41,798. You'll get all of these within your first 90 days, then it increases to $43,798. Once you become a P2 In-Charge, you go up to $55,268.

Intermediates start at $37,541
O_O wow. That's definately more than I made in Pecos and about double what I make here in NM, not counting the no state tax bit. I hope the interview and testing goes well on Monday... their PAT sounds like fun :)

blinnbuc89

Forum Crew Member
I did nearly all my EMT-P rides there and their protocols are very progressive. They code protocol is strange to say the least it irritated me one night when I was scolded because I didn't know their weird-*** protocols, then I reminded them I don't work there. That being said, I put aside my differences and I am interviewing next Wed. I am looking forward to it. I need more experience. where I'm at now, next county over, we get about 2-20 calls a day, county-wide and we run 4 MICU units so, not real busy. Good luck!

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I did nearly all my EMT-P rides there and their protocols are very progressive. They code protocol is strange to say the least it irritated me one night when I was scolded because I didn't know their weird-*** protocols, then I reminded them I don't work there. That being said, I put aside my differences and I am interviewing next Wed. I am looking forward to it. I need more experience. where I'm at now, next county over, we get about 2-20 calls a day, county-wide and we run 4 MICU units so, not real busy. Good luck!

Good luck to you as well! :D I'll be getting there Sunday night, testing on Monday, and then hopefully the interview (if I don't screw anything up on Monday) on Tuesday morning, since I'm traveling so far to do the testing. For whatever reason I'm nervous about ETI... I'm not allowed to do it in NM, and it's been about 4 months since I got my last live tube when I was working in W. TX

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I wish they were hiring before I found my new job. Sounds like a lot of fun, and I have friends in Texas.

blinnbuc89

Forum Crew Member
Good luck to you as well! :D I'll be getting there Sunday night, testing on Monday, and then hopefully the interview (if I don't screw anything up on Monday) on Tuesday morning, since I'm traveling so far to do the testing. For whatever reason I'm nervous about ETI... I'm not allowed to do it in NM, and it's been about 4 months since I got my last live tube when I was working in W. TX

Hmm, from what I gathered, the oral is in the morning with the written and skills test, then physical after that. that not sound right?

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hmm, from what I gathered, the oral is in the morning with the written and skills test, then physical after that. that not sound right?

Since I'm in the afternoon testing session, there's not a guarantee that they have time to have us do our interviews that day. They told me on Monday I'd definitely do my written, practical, and PAT, with the interview most likely Tuesday morning.

blinnbuc89

Forum Crew Member
Since I'm in the afternoon testing session, there's not a guarantee that they have time to have us do our interviews that day. They told me on Monday I'd definitely do my written, practical, and PAT, with the interview most likely Tuesday morning.

Gotcha, mines at like 8:30 so thats why mines the same day I bet