Mchd ems, tx

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, it's nice to see them hiring part-time again. I wonder if the pay came up any? $16 and some change an hour for part time is way too low for a part-time In-Charge.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
Holy smokes!!! $16.xx is all they pay for part-time?? Sheez.... :rofl:

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
MCHD is a great organization. I've met quite a few of their medics here in The Woodlands (where I live) and they've all been very professional. Pay scale is what it is. You can still make a good living doing this work. MCHD seems to offer some progressive medicine and nice equipment.

I'd still consider applying if I didn't have a fire job!

Keep up the strong work guys!! Lord knows I see you enough over in my neck of the woods!

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
MCHD is a great organization. I've met quite a few of their medics here in The Woodlands (where I live) and they've all been very professional. Pay scale is what it is. You can still make a good living doing this work. MCHD seems to offer some progressive medicine and nice equipment.

I'd still consider applying if I didn't have a fire job!

Keep up the strong work guys!! Lord knows I see you enough over in my neck of the woods!

Agreed, it's just too low for my taste. Their full timers make some decent change though. It is a good outfit, always has been.

Action, you should reconsider...............

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Flight, if I wasn't 1200 miles from there, needing a Texas license, and having a wife that wants to go back home to Florida I would.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you have to have a Texas license to apply? Wife is thinking about going back to Texas, and I would love to get on with a place like this.

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Wheel, I think it's on a case by case basis. Because I was told I could apply and test without my state but it would be required prior to start date.

Now, this last hiring was testing last week and starting May 13th. Too little time I acquire a Texas license.

It all depends on when they want to hire and start their people.

My buddy just got through the program and got hired on. He's the FNG all over again. Lol but he's excited!

kymedic25

Forum Crew Member
Do you have to have a Texas license to apply? Wife is thinking about going back to Texas, and I would love to get on with a place like this.

You have to have your license by the time new employee orientation starts. If you are testing today and you have not applied for your license and orientation starts in a month, you would not have your license in time. Texas is averaging about 8 weeks to process out of state licenses. If you have already applied for your license and its been about 4-6 weeks, then you might have it in time and would be considered. If you are interested, I can walk you through the process.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
What is the difference in the job posting for paramedic and the one for in-charge paramedic? Is one the lead and the other drives? Does the paramedic attendant attend patients, or just drive? What is the pay difference like? Do they promote to in-charge from this position often?

kymedic25

Forum Crew Member
What is the difference in the job posting for paramedic and the one for in-charge paramedic? Is one the lead and the other drives? Does the paramedic attendant attend patients, or just drive? What is the pay difference like? Do they promote to in-charge from this position often?

MCHD is a dual paramedic or paramedic/intermediate service. The In Charge role is just that, in charge of the ambulance, clinically and operationally. The attendant can ride with patients and the normal is every other call. The IC will usually ask the attendants "plan" prior to leaving for the hospital, just to make sure everyone in on the same page.

It is about an $11k/year raise between paramedic attendant and IC paramedic.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
MCHD is a dual paramedic or paramedic/intermediate service. The In Charge role is just that, in charge of the ambulance, clinically and operationally. The attendant can ride with patients and the normal is every other call. The IC will usually ask the attendants "plan" prior to leaving for the hospital, just to make sure everyone in on the same page.

It is about an $11k/year raise between paramedic attendant and IC paramedic.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason

Thank you for the prompt response. I'm looking to move to the area and MCHD looks great. If you apply for one position are you considered both, or should you apply to both? I don't have much experience and wouldn't be opposed to having a mentor for a while.

kymedic25

Forum Crew Member
Thank you for the prompt response. I'm looking to move to the area and MCHD looks great. If you apply for one position are you considered both, or should you apply to both? I don't have much experience and wouldn't be opposed to having a mentor for a while.

MCHD is a hard place to come in as an IC. I had over 10 years of experience when I moved here and it took me about 4 months.

If you are hired as an IC, your contract will say something to the effect that you have 180 days to obtain IC status and if you are not successful then if there is not an open attendant spot, we are sorry, but your services are no longer required. I HIGHLY recommend coming on as an attendant and then promoting up when you are comfortable and not having the contract hanging over you.