Mccormick Ambulance

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I appreciate bringing up these factors. I have thought about all these things before. I still think it's worth it for me.

tylerkd07

Forum Crew Member
Have you tried care ambulance? They do both oc and la county.
And for McCormick they are only hiring by references. If u have a buddy that works there he can give u the number and the name of the guy u need to talk too.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I wouldn't mind working for Care, although I have heard that they don't like employees going to Paramedic school for some reason.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I just got called into AMR to do a skills test and an interview next week.....

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
While I don't think the middle of medic school is the best time to start a new company, working for one of the busier 911 companies in LA would definitely help you out in internship by introducing you to working in active scenes (especially if you work a high call volume area).

Depending on how much the medic school prepares you, a lot of students with IFT-only experience don't do as well during internship. They haven't had to cut through BS to get to the true chief complaint or having to work in a chaotic shooting scene or even had to multi-task or have a sense of what comes next on the different types of calls.

I actually do wonder what the correlation is between being good in classroom and good in the field. I DO think there's a positive correlation, despite there being many many exceptions.
I will agree with some of this, I think being used to chaotic scenes may be useful, the more important piece is being able to control that scene, something you more than likely will not be doing in LA(or anywhere as a Basic) the problem I've seen with some experienced EMTs is switching from EMT mode(waiting to be directed or jumping in on basics) to medic mode(where you would be delegating a lot more and multi-tasking). As far as class relates to field, I did very well in didactic and when I first started out had a hell of time translating that to the hands-on, and I've seen that in a lot of new medics.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Irwindale. I would have loved if any of the San Bernardino or Riverside county divisions called me first since I live in San Bernardino but they didn't :(

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Irwindale. I would have loved if any of the San Bernardino or Riverside county divisions called me first since I live in San Bernardino but they didn't :(

If you do get hired with AMR you just have to wait 6 months and then you can put in for a transfer to the division that you want.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
That's what I'm aiming for.

Ivangrozny2011

Forum Ride Along
Have you tried care ambulance? They do both oc and la county.
And for McCormick they are only hiring by references. If u have a buddy that works there he can give u the number and the name of the guy u need to talk too.

So I have been applying with MC for over 7 months now, spoken to the person in hiring (name begins with an L, jic it is a secret or something) on the phone at least 6 times now, spoken with MC EMTs/Medics in the field etc and come up with zero results. Meanwhile my partner's brother applied and got an interview 2 days later...all because of Nepotism (he knew a guy in his Medic class that worked there that got him in). Now my problem is that since you need to know someone on the inside to get a foot in the door I am a bit discouraged, any tips on getting in good with someone there? I've got about 8 months at another company now doing mostly CCT, a B.A from UCLA and lots of CE certs working up to Medic school so at least on paper I should be okay huh? I see MC all the time, when I am volunteering in the ER or in the field, but I don't want to make them uncomfortable by any means by pushing the subject TOO far of course...

Tl;DR: I don't know anyone in the company per se, should I just try to be friends with the MC EMTs I run across or is there a better way maybe?

(I need to start running some 911 calls before my skills wither from the brain entropy that can be IFTs lol)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Meanwhile my partner's brother applied and got an interview 2 days later...all because of Nepotism (he knew a guy in his Medic class that worked there that got him in).
Welcome to the real world. In just about all places having someone on the inside vouch for you is a big hand up. Networking matters, regardless of how the network is formed.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Lol that's pretty funny

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
They weren't willing to work with my schedule.

mike1390

Forum Captain
They weren't willing to work with my schedule.

No kidding??? :rofl::rofl:

there are 500 other people who would have opened up their schedule to take that position, you can't go into a job you don't have demanding that they work around your schedule.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I couldn't miss any days of my Paramedic school for their orientation.

JPINFV

Gadfly
No kidding??? :rofl::rofl:

there are 500 other people who would have opened up their schedule to take that position, you can't go into a job you don't have demanding that they work around your schedule.

There are generally plenty of student friendly services, provided your needs matches up with theirs.