Massachusetts EMT's Suspension (List)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good. Hopefully they'll never find work in EMS again.

JPINFV

Gadfly

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I know 36 people on that list and have worked with most of them.
My paramedic instructor is on that list.
And I've worked with 2 of the 4 people with 2 years suspensions. I worked with one of them as recently as last Saturday.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Insane. I wonder how they determined the length of suspensions.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Armstrong and Haverhill are highly represented on that list. A few in Cambridge, where I live, as well. Remind me to never call 911 when I am in Haverhill or in Armstrong's service area.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Can anyone say what they were specifically doing that got them in trouble? Did they lie about taking the courses? Did they lie about how long the courses were?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Can anyone say what they were specifically doing that got them in trouble? Did they lie about taking the courses? Did they lie about how long the courses were?

These folks paid or were given credit for recerts and CEU's they did not attend in an effort to defraud the EMS licensing system and thier employers.
Yeah, like the chiefs and EMS OPS managers didn't catch on with numbers like these...suuuuure. With a largely unmonitored honor system it is likely MA is only one example of this type of thing happening. It would still be going on if pressure hadn't come from the media.

Michigan has had these problems, except it included entire courses, not just continuing ed. The SAG wasn't interested in opening the can-o-worms then and I doubt he would be today. He in fact ran (really) to his campaign bus so as not to answer a question about EMS education fraud posed at a crowded festival back in 05. Today he's running for Michigan State Governor. Can't wait till he comes to my town again! Wonder if he can still run that fast??

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yeah, like the chiefs and EMS OPS managers didn't catch on with numbers like these...suuuuure.
To be fair, when I recerted I never really provided evidence (i.e. transcript in my case) that I completed the 2 college courses I used for my 48 hours. I'm trying to remember if I turned in anything for the refresher.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
To be fair, when I recerted I never really provided evidence (i.e. transcript in my case) that I completed the 2 college courses I used for my 48 hours. I'm trying to remember if I turned in anything for the refresher.

Fair..what's there to be fair about? You got away with something because someone wasn't doing his/her job in keeping records. There is bound to be a policy.

Seriously, there had to be policies concerning how a department or company will ensure it is in compliance with state, county and regional requirements? It is unimaginable that there would not be. These chiefs and OPS folks (HR perhaps) weren't doing their jobs from the looks of the whole mess. It's gone on for years, several years and the only reason it's come to light now is because some media folks were eager to sell headlines. I'm glad the medis got out of the political pockets and made a decision to work for the public good for once. It is refreshing.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well if you're looking for a job in the MA area, now you know what companies will have openings.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Got away with something? I didn't realize that using college courses are against NREMT or CA EMSA policy, especially when they explicitly state that college courses are worth up to 24 hours of CME per each course. Similarly, if I recall correctly, there is no part of the NREMT recert that asks the training officer or medical director to affirm the 72 hour CME portion. The part that get's signed is in reference to them doing a skills test and/or providing QA/QI for the relative actions (OB, operations, paperwork, assessment and soemthing else if I recall correctly). There's also the option to affirm CPR certification instead of submitting copies, but that's optional.

As far as MA state policies, I'm not sure since I won't be recerting in MA anyways (I'm still debating on whether to let NREMT drop or not).

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Got away with something? I didn't realize that using college courses are against NREMT or CA EMSA policy, especially when they explicitly state that college courses are worth up to 24 hours of CME per each course. Similarly, if I recall correctly, there is no part of the NREMT recert that asks the training officer or medical director to affirm the 72 hour CME portion. The part that get's signed is in reference to them doing a skills test and/or providing QA/QI for the relative actions (OB, operations, paperwork, assessment and soemthing else if I recall correctly). There's also the option to affirm CPR certification instead of submitting copies, but that's optional.

As far as MA state policies, I'm not sure since I won't be recerting in MA anyways (I'm still debating on whether to let NREMT drop or not).

Yeah, you siad you did not turn in any documentation.I said, employers have a responsibility to ensure workers are all documented. If you were meaning state, the state has a different policy where they don't want paperwork until an audit is issued. Seems there is a bit of confusion....:blush:

JPINFV

Gadfly
My company never requested documentation. If they had requested it, I would have provided it. So documentation was neither sent to the state, nor my company, nor did the state nor NREMT request that my company affirm my CMEs.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
If you are wondering about suspension lengths
Permanent - running the whole thing
2 years - involved, handling money and the paperwork to give to Leo
9 months - signed the roster and used it towards recertification
45 days - signed the roster but didn't need it refresher to recert yet because another year was left on your ticket.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
45 days - signed the roster but didn't need it refresher to recert yet because another year was left on your ticket.

Bummer...9 months for defrauding the community, the state and their legitimate coworkers.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, OEMS is a completely useless entity will no willpower. Perhaps the local taxpayers will cry fraud when they see how much $$$ was paid out on OT and in stipends for some of these clowns. Maybe the AG's office can go after the individuals who took money from their employers to sign for a class they never attended, I doubt it though.

nemedic

Forum Captain
Maybe the AG's office can go after the individuals who took money from their employers to sign for a class they never attended, I doubt it though.

Well, it is an election year for Coakley, and after the loss in the Senate race, she could use a high profile case.........

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Too bad it's not permanent for everyone involved

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Too bad it's not permanent for everyone involved

agreed x1000

the whole thing is disgusting and leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it.