Martial Arts

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
Hello,

I didn't want to start a new topic because I found older ones on martial arts, but I have a question.....

I feel as if I am too old to start martial arts because I am 28 and I should have started when I was younger...

What do you guys think?

Achilles

Forum Moron
Hello,

I didn't want to start a new topic because I found older ones on martial arts, but I have a question.....

I feel as if I am too old to start martial arts because I am 28 and I should have started when I was younger...

What do you guys think?

There are people that are dont start until they are in their 50s or 60s, I'd say being 28 is fine.
They have adult classes....
28 is not old...

AlphaMedic68

Forum Ride Along
In my opinion, any type of training or exercise that improves your overall health and wellness is beneficial. Is 28 too old to start training with the intent of competing? Maybe, who knows stranger things have happened. Martial Arts, or any other type of fitness training would benefit anyone who was looking to improve their overall wellness in the physical and mental aspects, though...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I know I'm sorry.
I just have low self-esteem, and anxiety and depression so I feel like that has a lot to do with it, and perhaps working out (martial arts) will help.

I'd strongly recommend Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. You'll feel empowered by learning how to fend off and control opponents while on your back, and it happens to be (in my opinion) the best defense against one-on-one sexual assault. I'm going to expose both my daughters to BJJ to se if they like it.

Age is just a number. 28 is actually quite young. The physical exertion experienced with clinch and ground work is very exhausting, but you'll quickly become conditioned to it (you'll be in great shape).

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Hello,

What do you guys think?

I'm 29 and just started training BJJ 3-4 days a week. It's very, very calming. The hardest part is going to be walking in the door to a new environment.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
I am a Taekwondo Instructor of 8 yrs and have been practicing for 17 yrs. now. I have several families that practice regularly. Most of the time the kids will start and the parents will say that looks like fun. Next thing you know, they are having more fun than the kids.

So, its never too late to start.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I am a Taekwondo Instructor of 8 yrs and have been practicing for 17 yrs. now. I have several families that practice regularly. Most of the time the kids will start and the parents will say that looks like fun. Next thing you know, they are having more fun than the kids.

So, its never too late to start.

Hapkido is better :p

Achilles

Forum Moron
What is that?

It's a Korean martial arts that includes kicking, punching, and other striking, there is also some moves like twisting the wrist, let sweeps, etc...
Back when I did martial arts, about eight years ago, I hated it my first day, after that I loved going there. And I've been in shape since.

OP
OP
S

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
It's a Korean martial arts that includes kicking, punching, and other striking, there is also some moves like twisting the wrist, let sweeps, etc...
Back when I did martial arts, about eight years ago, I hated it my first day, after that I loved going there. And I've been in shape since.

Cool thanks.

I will check it out!

FearTheSkill

Forum Ride Along
My story with martial arts

Honestly I started learning Tong-Suu-do from my teacher from South Korea. And I learned so many things from that class. I learned to take care of my body, exercise, self-esteem. I say definitely try it! It's fun, it makes you feel better with more control. Good luck!

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
It's never too late. The most important thing is the teacher. It won't help you if they barely know what they're doing.

I took Krav Maga a few years back and I found most schools branched off the original institution and only one is led by the man who took over after the creator died. I couldn't spell their names if I tried, but the point is always check the credentials of the teachers

Trailrider

Forum Crew Member
Are you starting a martial art to get fit, or to learn self defence? Either way, it will be beneficial to you regardless of age. 28 isn't that old,go out and have fun and kicking ***! I wish I could go back to martial arts, (muay thai and boxing) but as a student I don't have the extra money for that expense :ph34r: good luck!

OP
OP
S

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
Are you starting a martial art to get fit, or to learn self defence? Either way, it will be beneficial to you regardless of age. 28 isn't that old,go out and have fun and kicking ***! I wish I could go back to martial arts, (muay thai and boxing) but as a student I don't have the extra money for that expense :ph34r: good luck!

I have a lot of anxiety and I am scared....

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I have a lot of anxiety and I am scared....
Krav Maga is a good style to help you gain confidence. Its simple and easy to pick up, but devastating. Many recommend it for kids and girls who are afraid of being mugged or raped.