LUCAS 2 vs. Zoll Autopulse

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
45% of all arrests? Seriously?

Call me a doubting Thomas, but I seriously question that claim.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
I'm involved with 2 services. One has several AutoPulses has for 5-ish years. The other just purchased a Lucas 6 months ago. The Lucas has more ROSC events in 6 months than the AutoPulse had in 5 years.
Lucas is MUCH easier to use as well. Less cumbersome. Used by cath labs, EDs ect.

It's the better option.

lawndartcatcher

Forum Lieutenant
Your save rate is 45% for all patients? Witnessed and unwitnessed? Just VF/VT?

"My service was one of the first around here to use the Lucas and we're using it as part of a CCR study; our current save rate is ten times the national average (~45%) under the study using the Lucas."

Study guidelines: cardiac (not respiratory or traumatic) arrests with a known down time. Read the studies performed by Bobrow and Ewy if you still don't believe me.

Our saves for all arrests is still around 15% (traumatic arrests rates are statistically low), which we credit to a) high numbers of trained bystanders / first responders (if you live or work in our town we'll teach you CPR for free) b) early adoption of mechanical CPR devices to ensure good quality, consistent compressions, and c) an aggressive field mentoring program (i.e. there's always at least two medics at every call and one of them has at least 10 years of experience).

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
"My service was one of the first around here to use the Lucas and we're using it as part of a CCR study; our current save rate is ten times the national average (~45%) under the study using the Lucas."

Study guidelines: cardiac (not respiratory or traumatic) arrests with a known down time. Read the studies performed by Bobrow and Ewy if you still don't believe me.

Our saves for all arrests is still around 15% (traumatic arrests rates are statistically low), which we credit to a) high numbers of trained bystanders / first responders (if you live or work in our town we'll teach you CPR for free) b) early adoption of mechanical CPR devices to ensure good quality, consistent compressions, and c) an aggressive field mentoring program (i.e. there's always at least two medics at every call and one of them has at least 10 years of experience).

Those studies use Utstein Survival, which applies the condition of "witnessed, shockable initial rhythm" to the numbers reported. This isn't bad per se, but isn't the same as "All comers" survival or "All suspected-cardiac" or "All suspected-cardiac, known downtime".

I'm certain our numbers are lower due to the sheer number of "unknown downtime" arrests we work.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We recently started reporting our arrest data to the CARES registry and are now using the Utstein data to measure success. I'm sure we will be right up there with the other high performers, as we aggressively practice team resuscitation, use the Lucas on every code and and focus on effective CPR.

Crizza

Forum Ride Along
We had similar problems with our AutoPulse shutting off. It turns out we were not rotating our batteries properly. After we started rotating them daily, we have not had any more issues. I am not sure how battery management could affect the machine's sensor, but it seems to have fixed it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Nope. CCR pilot program.

We do CCR and "pit crew" CPR as well. Although we don't use mechanical CPR devices.

45% of all arrests? Seriously?

Call me a doubting Thomas, but I seriously question that claim.

Agreed. Lawndart, not trying to say you are wrong but unless you can show me hard data I call BS. We also report to the CARES registry.

What do you/your service qualify as a save? ROSC to admit? ROSC to discharge to SNF? Rosc to discharge neurologically intact? We can throw number around but without specifics that's all they are, numbers.

Why do you need 10 years of experience to be a good medic? Our longest standing field medic has 11 years at our company, not including supervisors and high level brass. I'd take some of the younger medics over the "oldschool" guys any day of the week. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by a moderator: