LUCAS 2 vs. Zoll Autopulse

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm looking at both the LUCAS 2 and Zoll Autopulse, and they seem like similar products. Can you provide details on what advantages the Lucas 2 has over the AutoPulse?

Physio Control

Forum Probie
I'm looking at both the LUCAS 2 and Zoll Autopulse, and they seem like similar products. Can you provide details on what advantages the Lucas 2 has over the AutoPulse?

Thanks for your question. We actually think the differences between the LUCAS 2 and AutoPulse are quite significant. Consider, for example, the following:

1. Size & weight: LUCAS 2 weighs 22 lbs. (in carry case w/ extra battery) compared to the AutoPulse @ 39 lbs. (in carry case w/ extra battery).
  2. Batteries: Each AutoPulse battery weighs 5.1 lbs., lasts for approx. 30 minutes, and requires a 10-20 hour reconditioning cycle with every 10th use. The LUCAS 2 battery weighs 1.3 lbs., runs for approx. 45 minutes, can recharge in under 4 hours, and there are AC or DC auxiliary power supplies available for longer resuscitations.
  3. Total cost of ownership: Due to the high cost of the single-use, load distributing bands and the requirements for multiple spare batteries, the total cost of ownership for AutoPulse is approx. 25% higher over 5 years.
  4. Ease of use: The LUCAS 2 device can be applied in less than 20 seconds with minimal hands-off time. Defibrillator electrodes can be applied to patient after the LUCAS is deployed.
  5. Durability: LUCAS 2 has an IP rating of 43. AutoPulse has an IP rating of 24.
  6. Guidelines: The LUCAS 2 adheres closely to the AHA guidelines for Class IIa effective manual chest compression by providing continuous sternal compressions; at a rate of at least 100 compressions per minute; at a depth of at least 2”; and ensuring full recoil with a 50/50 duty cycle and a suction cup that assists the chest to the starting position.
Attached is a chart comparing the LUCAS 2 and AutoPulse that might also be of help.

Attachments

• Product Comparison.pdf
    294 KB · Views: 4,797
OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Informative post, thanks. The Lucas website shares:

Two pre-hospital randomized pilot trials (Smekal et al 2011 and Axelsson et al 2006) have shown neutral results but improved ETCO2 values with LUCAS (Axelsson et al 2010).

What value does the Lucas 2 offer the provider and community? Is it simply a matter of minimizing the transition time from compressions to shocks? It frees up providers to do other work?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We use the LUCAS 2 at my service and find, anecdotally of course, that we have a higher number of arrests that end in ROSC. We find we get outstanding ETCO2 numbers during a code which is obviously from the excellent perfusion that LUCAS offers. And yes, it certainly frees up the medic for other things. ;) I can't imagine a code without the LUCAS. It really has changed our codes.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We use the LUCAS 2 at my service and find, anecdotally of course, that we have a higher number of arrests that end in ROSC. We find we get outstanding ETCO2 numbers during a code which is obviously from the excellent perfusion that LUCAS offers. And yes, it certainly frees up the medic for other things. ;) I can't imagine a code without the LUCAS. It really has changed our codes.
Are you able to run codes with just 2 providers in the back now? Just 1? How soon after you arrive do you attach it?

NomadicMedic

If BLS is on scene doing CPR, we attach the LUCAS as soon as we get on scene. And we usually run a code with just two people. Intubated patients go on a vent, LUCAS does compressions... Frees the medic up for other stuff. ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Are you able to run codes with just 2 providers in the back now? Just 1? How soon after you arrive do you attach it?

How soon do we attach it? As soon as possible/practical. I've never been in a situation where CPR wasn't started, but it can be placed quickly, with minimal assistance.

In the event we transport a code, I have an Auto-vent and a Lucas. So yes, I can function in the back on my own, and even be in a seat belt while doing it.

Then again, the current guidelines and research lean towards reducing the transport of patients in cardiac arrest.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If BLS is on scene doing CPR, we attach the LUCAS as soon as we get on scene. And we usually run a code with just two people. Intubated patients go on a vent, LUCAS does compressions... Frees the medic up for other stuff. ;)

Medic: My Education Doesn't Include Compressions

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Can I get this on a t shirt?

I saw it on a sticker once.

Sad part is it is true, especially in systems where there are a limited number of medics (Read: NOT California:)).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's terrible to say but even as an intermediate I rarely do CPR.

It's always fire doing compression and me pushing with drugs while my partner does his medic thing.

NomadicMedic

For me, Lucas does compressions while I do the medic thing. And frankly, that's the way I like it.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
An quote from the AHA's 2010 update study.

"One multicenter, prospective, randomized controlled trial
comparing load-distributing band CPR (AutoPulse®) with
manual CPR for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest demonstrated
no improvement in 4-hour survival and worse neurologic
outcome when the device was used. Further studies are
required to determine if site-specific factors and experience
with deployment of the device could influence its efficacy.
There is insufficient evidence to support the routine use of
this device.
Case series employing mechanical piston devices have
reported variable degrees of success. Such devices may be
considered for use when conventional CPR would be difficult
to maintain (eg, during diagnostic studies).
To prevent delays and maximize efficiency, initial training,
ongoing monitoring, and retraining programs should be
offered on a frequent basis to providers using CPR devices."

Crizza

Forum Ride Along
As a dedicated AutoPulse user with many saves on the AutoPulse, I wanted to reply to some of the marketing spin PC offered here.

Thanks for your question. We actually think the differences between the LUCAS 2 and AutoPulse are quite significant. Consider, for example, the following:

Size & weight: LUCAS 2 weighs 22 lbs. (in carry case w/ extra battery) compared to the AutoPulse @ 39 lbs. (in carry case w/ extra battery).

Your document shows that the AutoPulse weighs about 26lbs by itself. Then it says the weight of the device is 39 lbs with an extra 5lb battery. So the case weighs 8 lbs? Is the LUCAS2 indicated for use with a soft stretcher? If not, you ahve to use a backboard, right? How much does your backboard weigh? Shouldn't you add that to the total solution weight of the LUCAS2? The AutoPulse can be used with a soft stretcher or a back board. My service has found the soft stretcher offers more felxibility in getting the patient to the ambulance/cot

Batteries: Each AutoPulse battery weighs 5.1 lbs., lasts for approx. 30 minutes, and requires a 10-20 hour reconditioning cycle with every 10th use. The LUCAS 2 battery weighs 1.3 lbs., runs for approx. 45 minutes, can recharge in under 4 hours, and there are AC or DC auxiliary power supplies available for longer resuscitations.

The LUCAS2 AC/DC power only trickle charges the battery. It does not power the unit. A plugged in LUCAS2 without a battery will not work. A LUCAS2 with a depleted battery typically will not work either in my experience. Please provide some documentation that proves your AC/DC power adapter can prolong the use during an arrest.

Total cost of ownership: Due to the high cost of the single-use, load distributing bands and the requirements for multiple spare batteries, the total cost of ownership for AutoPulse is approx. 25% higher over 5 years.

Doesnt' PC advocate the replacement of the suction cup after every use? I understand it costs less than the LifeBand, but you should at least be up front with that since it is in your product labeling.

Ease of use: The LUCAS 2 device can be applied in less than 20 seconds with minimal hands-off time. Defibrillator electrodes can be applied to patient after the LUCAS is deployed.

My service can deploy the AutoPulse is 30 seconds so I see this as a nominal difference. Your document overcomplicates the deployment of the AutoPulse

Durability: LUCAS 2 has an IP rating of 43. AutoPulse has an IP rating of 24.

This is the only proven advantage you listed.

Guidelines: The LUCAS 2 adheres closely to the AHA guidelines for Class IIa effective manual chest compression by providing continuous sternal compressions; at a rate of at least 100 compressions per minute; at a depth of at least 2”; and ensuring full recoil with a 50/50 duty cycle and a suction cup that assists the chest to the starting position.

The AutoPulse has the same level of recommendation from the AHA with a higher level of evidence (IIb).

lawndartcatcher

Forum Lieutenant
I have personally used both the AutoPulse and the Lucas on the same patient; our service was test-driving the Lucas while we had the AutoPulse.

~80F in cardiac arrest on our arrival; AutoPulse placed on backboard, patient placed on AutoPulse / backboard, and AutoPulse started. When we went to move her we had to bring her past the family with the AutoPulse thrashing her around like a fish (small house, no choice). Once we started going around our first turn and down the stairs the AutoPulse shut off - every time we mvoed her more than a couple of feet we it would shut off and we'd have to reposition her before we could start it again.

Once we got her out to the truck I had one of the cops toss the Lucas into the back of the truck as we were loading her and off we went. The AutoPulse kept shutting off and we had to keep repositioning her; finally we pulled the AutoPulse off and were able to place the Lucas in less than 15 seconds (two guys in the back of a medium-duty rescue) and had mechanical compressions started within another 10 seconds. The quality of the compressions was immediately obvious - EKG waveform looked "normal", she started pinking up, and I could even feel faint peripheral pulses. At the hospital they used the portable sonogram to show the blood moving through the valves of the heart with the Lucas still on; I know the doctors and nurses were pretty impressed with it and they usually hate any kind of mechanical CPR device around here.

I have also been told that it can be used for traumatic arrests, which the AutoPulse can't. My service was one of the first around here to use the Lucas and we're using it as part of a CCR study; our current save rate is ten times the national average (~45%) under the study using the Lucas.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have personally used both the AutoPulse and the Lucas on the same patient; our service was test-driving the Lucas while we had the AutoPulse.

~80F in cardiac arrest on our arrival; AutoPulse placed on backboard, patient placed on AutoPulse / backboard, and AutoPulse started. When we went to move her we had to bring her past the family with the AutoPulse thrashing her around like a fish (small house, no choice). Once we started going around our first turn and down the stairs the AutoPulse shut off - every time we mvoed her more than a couple of feet we it would shut off and we'd have to reposition her before we could start it again.

Once we got her out to the truck I had one of the cops toss the Lucas into the back of the truck as we were loading her and off we went. The AutoPulse kept shutting off and we had to keep repositioning her; finally we pulled the AutoPulse off and were able to place the Lucas in less than 15 seconds (two guys in the back of a medium-duty rescue) and had mechanical compressions started within another 10 seconds. The quality of the compressions was immediately obvious - EKG waveform looked "normal", she started pinking up, and I could even feel faint peripheral pulses. At the hospital they used the portable sonogram to show the blood moving through the valves of the heart with the Lucas still on; I know the doctors and nurses were pretty impressed with it and they usually hate any kind of mechanical CPR device around here.

I have also been told that it can be used for traumatic arrests, which the AutoPulse can't. My service was one of the first around here to use the Lucas and we're using it as part of a CCR study; our current save rate is ten times the national average (~45%) under the study using the Lucas.

what does your system consider a save?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm assuming that save rate is for VF/VT arrests witnessed by EMS personnel...