LQTS- Are you aware of this condition?

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Hi All

I buried my niece yesterday, the third child of my brother to die within 10 years, and as a ambulance officer,
I was not aware of the very thing that is killing our family, until this week.
For that reason, I want to share this story with you!

Attached is the news article printed in one of our newspapers about my niece's death,
that hopefully will shed some light for those of you that are not aware of the condition or turned up at a cardiac arrest of a teenager.
It's maybe something to keep in the back of your mind.

http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/l...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Enjoynz

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Long Q T syndrome is dangerous and fortunately, not that common. Sorry for your loss.. Not to be rude, but the alcohol ingestion does not help the matter as well...

R/r 911

piranah

Forum Captain
God bless your whole family during these hard times enjoynz.....truly....

mikie

Forum Lurker
Very sorry for your loss.

Long Q T syndrome is dangerous and fortunately, not that common. Sorry for your loss.. Not to be rude, but the alcohol ingestion does not help the matter as well...

R/r 911

Is this something recognizable in the field? I havent heard of this before. Does it have to do wit the Q & T waves in the EKG (speaking as a basic)?

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
A tragic story indeed. Does your brother have any other children?

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
Im truly sorry for your loss. You and your whole family will be in my family and I prayers.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Prayers and thoughts are going out to you and your family from all of us here. A truely tragic story, all the best to you and your family.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers!

I would like to attach this Wikapedia info on LQTS for you also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_QT_syndrome

I want as many EMT's as possible to be aware of this condtition.
Although it says it is rare, there may be more cases that have not been picked up...even the autopsy reports on my other niece and nephew didn't really cover it as to the reason they died.
There was at least 100 cases in New Zealand over the past year of cardiac arrests that could have been because of this condition or unexplained deaths in health people, my brother said.
As there are only 4 million people in NZ, that means there could be thousands in the States, Canada, etc, etc.
I'm not trying to blow it out of the water....I just want you all to be aware of it!

Enjoynz

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Ok one more thread to add to this...my brother and his wife were asked by the main TV network in New Zealand, if they could produce a TV news article ...
for those of you on here that are my close friends on this site, or those that are just interested, I have attached a copy of the TV clip.

On it, the cardiologist said that they didn't know exactly what the cause of the deaths was...ie. LQTS. But every case seems to point to it???
They do have an ad first (sorry not sure how to get around that):glare:, but then you click on the TVondemand blue arrow(Click to play).

http://tvnzondemand.co.nz/content/sunday_2008_sudden/ondemand_video_skin?tab=CATCH UP

Cheers Joy

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It turns out that only folks in NZ can watch the video. It says "This video is for NZ viewers only. Sorry this content is not available for you to view." Too bad.

I can't even imagine how devastated your family must be, but at least you have an idea of what's going on. I would imagine the uncertainty is one of the hardest parts.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Hi All

I buried my niece yesterday, the third child of my brother to die within 10 years, and as a ambulance officer,
I was not aware of the very thing that is killing our family, until this week.
For that reason, I want to share this story with you!

Attached is the news article printed in one of our newspapers about my niece's death,
that hopefully will shed some light for those of you that are not aware of the condition or turned up at a cardiac arrest of a teenager.
It's maybe something to keep in the back of your mind.

http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/l...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Enjoynz

I am sorry for your loss. Thank You for bringing this article up on here.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
It turns out that only folks in NZ can watch the video. It says "This video is for NZ viewers only. Sorry this content is not available for you to view." Too bad.

Sorry about that, I was hoping you would be able to see the article too.
Sounds like my sister-in-law and their 2 daughters left (aged 25 and 22) are going to be fitted with Auto Defibs within the next couple of weeks.

The family in the mean time are taking AED's everywhere they go.:sad:
It's a big ask of my niece' s boyfriends to have to use them on their girlfriend, but if that what it takes to stop anymore death's in the family, so be it.
We all know the odds with CPR.

Cheers Joy