Looking for a good watch

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I just bought a digital watch at the dollar store. :D

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have a pnik generic walmart watch I bought for 13$, that took us two hours to set to military time, that has a analog and digital face and has an alarm I can't figure out how to unset that wakes me every morning at 145. It is also "water resistant" which I dont undertand the difference between water proof and resistant, and will sometimes tell you the date if you ask very nicely while pushing random buttons.

Although I rarely remember my watch and often use my EMTs. In a pinch my phone has a timer/stopwatch/seconds counter and i have also managed to set my phone to military time to write down vitals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
The "Water Resistant" mark has come to replace the "Water Proof" mark

I have a pnik generic walmart watch I bought for 13$, that took us two hours to set to military time, that has a analog and digital face and has an alarm I can't figure out how to unset that wakes me every morning at 145. It is also "water resistant" which I dont undertand the difference between water proof and resistant, and will sometimes tell you the date if you ask very nicely while pushing random buttons.

I know a guy who wears the cheaper, children cartoon watches. Says the Children, think they are really cool, and can be utilized as a conversation starter with Peds. you now have something in common. They guy claims some of the adults also get a kick out of them.

OP
OP
Mario1105

Mario1105

Forum Probie
ok so we need a check list for what i should look for to buy

analog with digital capabilities
stop watch
date
backlight
durable
water resist
some type of band to keep the nasty germs away (any suggestions)?

anything else im missing?

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
I splurged a little and bought myself a citizen eco drive watch. It has a solar powered battery that will last forever, and the hands glows very brightly in the dark all night if it gets even a few minutes of sun. I has the month and day on the face, or the day of the week. Its not very tacky. You may want to replace the canvas strap though. I would highly recommend it to anybody looking for something simple and durable, it is 80 bucks so its not cheap, but I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I forgot its also water resistant to 100 meters and the numbers glow in the dark awesome too.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Canvas-Strap-BM8180-03E/dp/B000EQS1JW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1262078849&sr=1-2

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I like that Eco drive!
I need a watch, I always just use the patients without them knowing ;-P

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
certified whacker watch

1196981161983_watch.JPG

Smith&Wesson Presents EMT Watch
Smith&Wesson EMT watch

Especially for our dedicated emergency medical responders! Smith&Wesson, the company known for precision and quality, presents its new EMT watch.

It is both practical and affordable, and features the EMT emblem on its face. The watch is lightweight, yet tough against impact. The electronic blue back-glow makes it easy to read in the dark. In addition, all indicators are glow-in-the-dark. The timepiece comes with an adjustable nylon-velcro strap and a rotating bezel. Other features include: water resistant, quartz Japanese movement, and date indicator.

1-year warranty.
$59.95 MSRP
Dealers welcome.

Campco
1.888.9CAMPCO
info@campco.com
www.campco.com

Any watch that keeps time will work just fine.
If you spend half as much time preparing for the EMT course work, as you do posting about watches on various EMS forums, I am confident you will make for a competent EMT:p

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Does that watch come with a EMS batman utility belt and one of those corny "extreme EMT t shirts? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mario1105

Mario1105

Forum Probie
heres the watch im gonna get

http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/g9000-1v_xlarge.jpg

G9000-1V
There’s a reason why they call G-Shock the toughest watch in the world and these are just some of the many examples. Mud & Shock Resistant, 200M WR, Super Dual Illuminator and 48-city world time…the mission is on.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

* Module 3031
* Display Digital
* Countdown Timer
* Backlight Auto Dual Illuminator
* Water Resistant Up to 200 Meters
* Alarm 5 Alarms
* World Time
* Stopwatch
* Shock Resistant
* Mud Resistant

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
1196981161983_watch.JPG

Any watch that keeps time will work just fine.
If you spend half as much time preparing for the EMT course work, as you do posting about watches on various EMS forums, I am confident you will make for a competent EMT:p

my wife bought me this exact watch for christmas.. btw what the heck is a whacker? lol

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
my wife bought me this exact watch for christmas.. btw what the heck is a whacker? lol

Use the search function before this thread gets locked.

But on the topic of the thread:

I have a watch that I nicked off my mum that takes my pulse. Its hilarious to watch my heart rate sky rocket at various points on clinical placements. "Melclin, we've got a job: patient with posterior head pain for the past two weeks, I want a 10 point ddx by the time we get in the truck". :p

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
heres the watch im gonna get

http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/g9000-1v_xlarge.jpg

G9000-1V
There’s a reason why they call G-Shock the toughest watch in the world and these are just some of the many examples. Mud & Shock Resistant, 200M WR, Super Dual Illuminator and 48-city world time…the mission is on.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

* Module 3031
* Display Digital
* Countdown Timer
* Backlight Auto Dual Illuminator
* Water Resistant Up to 200 Meters
* Alarm 5 Alarms
* World Time
* Stopwatch
* Shock Resistant
* Mud Resistant

Good choice, I owned purely Casios before I got the Citizen, those things are like a nuclear bunker attached to your wrist.

imurphy

Forum Captain
G Shocks are fantastic, I am using a Timex Ironman watch. It's tough, water resistant and comfortable.

The only issue I have with it is, my strap's velcro isn't so good. But nothing tape hasn't fixed!

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
I like the Timex Ironman Triathlon. I have always found them to be durable, accurate, and they seem to last a few years, at least for me. They are not very expensive; the smaller ones run around $25 and the larger ones aroung $45, so for the money they they have always served me well.

SBEMT805

Forum Ride Along
I just use this Casio AQ 150W. Like $30 at walmart and it works great. Has an analog face plus a small digital screen that can display either date, time, sencond time zone, stopwatch, or alarm clock (nice to have on an analog watch!)

My only gripe is that, while having a manual backlight is nice, it doesn't have glowing hands or hour marks.

AQ150W-1EV-L.jpg

I use this one also. I'm on my second one. Great watch!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Just use your cellphone like that guy I was working with on Thurs.... oh wait, that was me :lol: