Longest Period at Job

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
What is a fire department civilian medic???

Five years is my maximum. I'm a transient.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

Five years is my maximum. I'm a transient.

I'm assuming where a Fire Department hires a non-uniformed employee on a contract to perform EMS only duties. I've heard of this model in a couple other places.

Epi-do

I see dead people

I was a fire department employee, but didn't fight fire. I was considered non-merit, and only did EMS.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
What is non-merit?

It's sounds like a cheap way to provide fire-based EMS.

Did you receive the same pay, benefits, and union representation as the firefighter's, since you were employed by the Fire Dept.?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Coming up on two years at my current job.

Pretty sure this is the longest I've worked for a single company.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've been volunteering in the county where I work since 1993. I've worked here since 2011, and have a 2 year stretch of part time work in 2006-07.

Other than this place, the longest I worked somewhere was 4 years in the city.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Here's an interesting question for many of you. Will you be able to retire after 20 years of service at the agency you said you worked for?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Here's an interesting question for many of you. Will you be able to retire after 20 years of service at the agency you said you worked for?
Since I am (at the moment) a quasi public employee, and as such, enrolled in the state pension system, I can retire at 25 years and after I turn 62 1/2.

At least until something else changes that results in us loosing all of our public employee benefits, and there is a mass exodus to other agencies.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

This is quite the bone of contention around here. We have a 25 year retirement. Many would much prefer a 20 year option with an increase at 25, but it is what it is. Honestly, non-contributory EMS pensions are the exception rather than the rule anyway.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Yup :cool:

*City FD, though :p

**At the moment, I'm not planning on staying that long.

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

I probably could if i made a more conscious effort to watch the 401k and upped my contribution from 5%.

We also have ESOP which has been increasing nicely every year.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
At the last private agency I worked for in the united states, no one had retired on its 401k plan (or prior plans) in the 60 year history of the company.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
11 years in a restaurant, manager, Meat cutter, You name it. Currently 2 years in EMS.

No plans on leaving EMS or this service unless a county spot opens up. With a little one on the way, I can't pass up county benefits

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Are you allowed to just give me your spot when you leave? :p

Sure! I think I can give you my time invested in the pension, too!

...... :rofl: