LODD Med Jet N880Z

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It immediately reminded me of this crash in Teterboro.

When reading the NTSB report on the Learjet 35A at Teterboro it was clear that medical evacuation charter flights often scraped the bottom of the charter pilot barrel.

Inexperienced pilots, often poor weather conditions, with lax standards and protocols.

In the case of the Med Jet Air Ambulance, I look forward to reading the report, but it seems odd for a pilot to cancel IFR prior to landing in IFR-ish weather at night at a particularly difficult airport.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief

When reading the NTSB report on the Learjet 35A at Teterboro it was clear that medical evacuation charter flights often scraped the bottom of the charter pilot barrel.

Inexperienced pilots, often poor weather conditions, with lax standards and protocols.

In the case of the Med Jet Air Ambulance, I look forward to reading the report, but it seems odd for a pilot to cancel IFR prior to landing in IFR-ish weather at night at a particularly difficult airport.
Agreed. The NTSB report will be interesting.

FiremanMike

Just a dude

Agreed. The NTSB report will be interesting.
There’s several angles of ring cam footage that show glare rings telling me there was probably some IFR conditions, although I always thought that wasn’t that big of a deal for fixed wing..

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
There’s several angles of ring cam footage that show glare rings telling me there was probably some IFR conditions, although I always thought that wasn’t that big of a deal for fixed wing..
It is. It’s ALWAYS a threat.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader

From what I understand based on the ATC recording and news stories, the runway they wanted to land on did not allow instrument (IFR) landings at night due to terrain.

It sounds like the pilot at the last moment cancelled his IFR flight plan, said he was visual with the airport, and planned to do the circle to land approach on his desired runway. He then asks for the runway lights to be turned up (they were already at 100% per ATC).

It looks strikingly similar to the previous incident I posted. Here's to hoping it wasn't another unstabilized approach with an aerodynamic stall.

The NTSB report will be telling, but challenging weather, night flying, and short runways are a rough combination.

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Did they release the names those who were on board? I know some people that work there.

From what I’ve heard it takes two pilots to fly the craft, and I assume the medical team. Luckily there doesn’t sound like a patient was onboard.

I heard the audio, very chilling to hear.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Did they release the names those who were on board? I know some people that work there.

From what I’ve heard it takes two pilots to fly the craft, and I assume the medical team. Luckily there doesn’t sound like a patient was onboard.

I heard the audio, very chilling to hear.
From what I have been hearing it was pilot, medic, and 2 nurses. I have work friends on Facebook saying the nurses names are Tina and Laurie.

OP
OP
HardKnocks

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant

Inexperience was not a factor in this case.

Air Ambulance Flight Protocols are not lax.

Unconfirmed reports state that the PIC had over 20,000 of Flt time.

They have to comply with FAA Part 135 operating regulations.

I'll not raise an opinion as to the probable cause of the incident, (because other factors like equipment failure/malfunction have yet to be investigated).

Either way, its a tragic event.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Pure speculation on my part. It’s absolutely tragic and my thoughts are with their families and colleagues.

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Seems a lot of pilots commenting with experience dealing with Gillespie airfield, that one he was attempting to land at have flown this same model craft have all had the same thought of it being a stall during the turn.

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
so I live 2 miles away from the San Diego crash. I was off duty at home when I felt the shockwave. I literally thought it was an earthquake. This is the second plane crash in two month out of this airport.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So the newest update is saying 2 pilots and 2 nurses were onboard at the time of the crash.

The initial runway the pilots had IFR clearance for is not long enough for their aircraft to land on especially for it being a wet runway. So it looks like they cancelled the IFR flight plan to change to a VFR approach to 27R which is long enough for them to land on but does not have any IFR approaches.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems a lot of pilots commenting with experience dealing with Gillespie airfield, that one he was attempting to land at have flown this same model craft have all had the same thought of it being a stall during the turn.
I agree after watching the video, listening to the audio, and seeing the mapped flight path.

OP
OP
HardKnocks

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant
IN MEMORIAM
https://media.nbcsandiego.com/2021/12/Crash-Victims1.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&fit=1920,1080&w=975&h=548&crop=1
Crash-Victims1.jpg

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
another unstabilized approach with an aerodynamic stall.
When I saw video of this crash, and knowing that it was a circling landing, that's exactly what came to mind. I think the pilot was flying at too high an AoA and tried to bring the nose around just a little bit tighter to not overshoot centerline and stalled a wing. I don't know if the jet had an AoA indexer instrument, but I suspect that if it did, it would have shown a VERY close to stall AoA. If it was what I think it was, it's a problem that has been known about for a VERY long time and in jets, is very quickly a fatal problem.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You can’t Yank and Bank in that type without an outcome.
You can but just not when slow. You can exceed the critical AoA without pulling excessive G's when slow.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You can but just not when slow. You can exceed the critical AoA without pulling excessive G's when slow.
Slow and low. Doing it at 30000 feet is much different than 3000.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader