Locking Ambulances

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
We carry knoxbox keys with the narc keys, and the poo would hit the fan and cover the walls if those were lost (these are the master keys to the city, essentially). As for narcs, we keep a set in the jumpbag and all the reserves double-locked.
I thought knoxbox keys were required to be secured via a capture key mechanism?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

It's easier that way, but we have to transfer our knox box keys from person to person. Whoever's driving the engine for the day is personally responsible for them.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Some of our units have knoxboxes. They are secured with a key and a combination. They key is always left inside the key hole so we don't lose it. And you have to be entered into the system inorder for you to us the combination (because it's the last 4 of your social).

fafinaf

Forum Probie
always lock it. you don't want your rig being on the 6 o'clock news with a highlight of some crazy guy who stole it running from the cops. i don't think your company would appreciate the image it would sent out either.. it has happened..

anything could happen. why not lock it? takes 2 seconds and prevents anything from happening. better to be safe than sorry.

fafinaf

Forum Probie
it's funny.. you can tell which people respect the company they work for based on their responses. the "it's not mine, i don't care what happens to it" attitude really shows how the employee feels about their employer. kind of sad..

OP
OP

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Well this post took an interesting turn. My main goal in starting it was gathering some information about other services so I could go to my Director of Operations and convince him to get another set of keys made to the box. We just started locking the ambulances and it sometimes does get annoying when you get outside only to realize you cant get whatever you went out for because the box is locked.

We do have secure ignition and it is used all the time, so someone driving away with the truck is less of a concern then someone stealing supplies.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
always lock it. you don't want your rig being on the 6 o'clock news with a highlight of some crazy guy who stole it running from the cops. i don't think your company would appreciate the image it would sent out either.. it has happened..

anything could happen. why not lock it? takes 2 seconds and prevents anything from happening. better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah, it happens that some maniac steals it every once in awhile, but they generally don't get far. I don't think it's that bad for anyone's image except the guy stealing it. You stole an emergency vehicle trying to help others--I think that shows what kind of character one has!

Well this post took an interesting turn. My main goal in starting it was gathering some information about other services so I could go to my Director of Operations and convince him to get another set of keys made to the box. We just started locking the ambulances and it sometimes does get annoying when you get outside only to realize you cant get whatever you went out for because the box is locked.

We do have secure ignition and it is used all the time, so someone driving away with the truck is less of a concern then someone stealing supplies.

Have you thought about giving one of the guys the hard key and the other the wireless dongle?

OP
OP

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Have you thought about giving one of the guys the hard key and the other the wireless dongle?

We just have a hard key for the ignition and cab doors and a key for the box. They are both on the same piece of wire which is stamped (welded?) together. Keys cant be separated.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Depends on the day, honestly. Every truck has two sets of keys hopefully, so if it is hot out the driver will leave his keys in the truck while it's running and the tech will lock the truck with his. I don't think this is a great solution, all someone has to do is break the window and boom, the truck is there. When I work nights, I try and make the driver take the key with him.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, it all comes down to this: If someone wants in your rig bad enough, they'll get into it!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Depends on the day, honestly. Every truck has two sets of keys hopefully, so if it is hot out the driver will leave his keys in the truck while it's running and the tech will lock the truck with his. I don't think this is a great solution, all someone has to do is break the window and boom, the truck is there. When I work nights, I try and make the driver take the key with him.

I think its fantastic. Its not good for anyone to come back into a boiling truck, patients and crew alike. Take the truck, please. Maybe we will get a new one.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think its fantastic. Its not good for anyone to come back into a boiling truck, patients and crew alike. Take the truck, please. Maybe we will get a new one.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

I already have a new truck, so it would be a bummer if someone took ours. We only have 11 BLS trucks and they're all newish, so I'm pretty sure I would just be out of a job. I do appreciate a cold patient compartment though, these wool/poly pants suck hard.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I already have a new truck, so it would be a bummer if someone took ours. We only have 11 BLS trucks and they're all newish, so I'm pretty sure I would just be out of a job. I do appreciate a cold patient compartment though, these wool/poly pants suck hard.

Only 11?? We have 4 BLS rigs. Each of them has well over 280,000 miles and have ran ALS for years before so they are roughed up. We have 4 BLS crews for the 4 rigs. They are constantly going out of service for alot of things. I do like it when we get to use the CCT rig :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Only 11?? We have 4 BLS rigs. Each of them has well over 280,000 miles and have ran ALS for years before so they are roughed up. We have 4 BLS crews for the 4 rigs. They are constantly going out of service for alot of things. I do like it when we get to use the CCT rig :)

This is when I feel very lucky to have somehow gotten a job with a service whose one year birthday was only a few months ago. Suffice to say the owners really like us to lock all of their new investments.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
This is when I feel very lucky to have somehow gotten a job with a service whose one year birthday was only a few months ago. Suffice to say the owners really like us to lock all of their new investments.

Ooh. My company 10+ years old so there aren't many "new" investments.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
every ambulance should be locked when the crew is not in it.

older ambulances that do 911 should have kill switches, which allow the doors to be locked, the engine running, and the keys removed while the crew goes inside to assess the patient. older ambulances are more likely to not start, especially in the winter, and you don't want that to happen while you have a sick patient who you just brought out to the ambulance.
It's a little red button by the ignition. Once you've parked just apply the break, hold the button and then remove the keys. The rig will continue to idle.
just like that, but if you remove the keys, and apply the break, the engine dies, so no one can drive off with the ambulance.

also, driver and passenger should each have their own set of keys, that are kept with each individual at all times. you start the shift with 2 sets, you must return 2 sets at the end of the day.

I keep my work bag, laptop and GPS with me when I am working in the suburbs. I don't want anyone to borrow my personal equipment without my permission.

most city EMS agencies I am aware of have written policies to lock their ambulance when not occupied. maybe the rules are different in the suburbs and the sticks, but I still think every ambulance should be locked (and the power locks work) when not occupied by the crew.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Im late to the party, but we have anti theft on ours. Hit the gas and the engine dies without the key. So we lock ours most of the time. If it looks like time is of the essence we wont lock it

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
every ambulance should be locked when the crew is not in it.

older ambulances that do 911 should have kill switches, which allow the doors to be locked, the engine running, and the keys removed while the crew goes inside to assess the patient. older ambulances are more likely to not start, especially in the winter, and you don't want that to happen while you have a sick patient who you just brought out to the ambulance.
just like that, but if you remove the keys, and apply the break, the engine dies, so no one can drive off with the ambulance.

also, driver and passenger should each have their own set of keys, that are kept with each individual at all times. you start the shift with 2 sets, you must return 2 sets at the end of the day.

I keep my work bag, laptop and GPS with me when I am working in the suburbs. I don't want anyone to borrow my personal equipment without my permission.

most city EMS agencies I am aware of have written policies to lock their ambulance when not occupied. maybe the rules are different in the suburbs and the sticks, but I still think every ambulance should be locked (and the power locks work) when not occupied by the crew.

I find the opposite around here. Everyone that I know in the city here doesn't lock anything when on scene! It's too much of a hassle and the chance of no one noticing the truck moving on scene is very slim. If we're just out on errands, then we do have to lock it/take the keys with us or make sure it is in line of sight, but on an emergency run, fiddling with keys is just a hassle when you might have 4 or 5 vehicles on scene!

Bon-Tech

Forum Crew Member
Neither my IFT nor my volley service do routinely. Since I carry quite the lot of valuables in my backpack, it sure as heck gets locked when I work.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Another reason I like to lock my ambulance is sometimes the firefighters will tell a patients family member they can ride with us and then place them in the passenger seat. So when I hop in the driver seat a look over and get surprised. So with a locked ambulance the firefighters won't be putting any one in my ambulance.