Licensed in multiple states

keithdb2

Forum Ride Along
Is it possible to be licensed in multiple states? I'd like to keep my current job, but get licensed in Kentucky so that I can get a job when I move there in a few months.

Any info, experiences, or horror stories?

Thanks!

Keith

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yes at least in the states I have looked at. In fact I work with several that are certfied in multiple states. Will cost you the fees and possibly even require additional tests and sometimes a refresher. Again you will have to check with each state as to their requirements. Some states do not allow basic to transfer and will require you completing an entire new basic course.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
See if you can find the Kentucky State Department of Health's EMS and Trauma Services (or the equivelent) section and look for reciprocity between your state and Kentucky.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yep, you can be certified in multiple states. I currently have an active California and Massachusetts cert.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Yes it's possible, I've seen it as a job requirement for some agencies that are on the border of two states.

reaper

Working Bum
I have certs in I think 5 or 6 different states. You just have to pay the fees to renew all of them, each time!

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I am in AR, OK, and MO.
Ar requires 2 recert every 2 yrs $20 reciprocity with NR/$10 recert
OK every 3 $210 initial out of state with NR/ $30 recert
MO every 5 FREE with NR
Is it possible to be licensed in multiple states? I'd like to keep my current job, but get licensed in Kentucky so that I can get a job when I move there in a few months.

Thanks!

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I am certified in Indiana, Arizona, NM, Wyoming, and Montana, and working on Utah: did it all last year when I was looking to move from Indiana to some place closer to family. ended up in Utah, working off of my National Registry

NREMTB12

Forum Probie

Thanks!

Keith
currently licensed in KY and IL, live on the border and work full time in KY and do Fire/ems volunteer in IL, there are fees and a process but it opens up more doors for you as far as employment also.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have CO and MA cards. The CO card was so cheap that it seemed silly not to get it even though my employer doesn't actually require us to be state certified (hooray for closed patient population and medical direction). The hard/time consuming part is getting all the CEUs to transfer back and forth.

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
My emt instructor while we were in class was licenses in KY, TN, oh, pen, NJ, WV, VA, IN,and Illinois. So yes you can have multiple licenses.