Level of respect (Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's SASHA. Not Sacha. I'm not Borat, okay? Very nice.

Only out of habit.

Only when you're wrong.

I don't disagree with people to disagree, you, of all people, Ms.Medic should know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Not worth it

As many of you know, I have been advocating for respect here for almost as long as I have been around. Some of you are supportive, others are not.

I have tried to get people to consider the fact that they are negative, but most people here are not really open to that thought. They only see one way to post. From now on, I am not going to fight it anymore. It is just a worthless battle. If people aren't willing to change, there is no point trying to get them to.

So here is what I am trying to say. I will no longer be actively fighting for respect on this site. I will continue to post and read the threads here, but I will no longer try to get people to be respectful. It's a worthless fight to have.

Eric

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
As many of you know, I have been advocating for respect here for almost as long as I have been around. Some of you are supportive, others are not.

I have tried to get people to consider the fact that they are negative, but most people here are not really open to that thought. They only see one way to post. From now on, I am not going to fight it anymore. It is just a worthless battle. If people aren't willing to change, there is no point trying to get them to.

So here is what I am trying to say. I will no longer be actively fighting for respect on this site. I will continue to post and read the threads here, but I will no longer try to get people to be respectful. It's a worthless fight to have.

Eric

I know what you mean, Dont worry... I still love ya!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
It's SASHA. Not Sacha. I'm not Borat, okay? Very nice.

Only when you're wrong.

I don't disagree with people to disagree, you, of all people, Ms.Medic should know that.

Its sexy time.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Do not expect me to support your excuses for not getting education higher than 120 hours for EMT.

Do not expect me to support that it takes 3 years to master the few skills at the EMT-B level.

Do not expect me to tell you that EMT-B is a career.

Do not expect me to support you doing skills for which you are not educated or properly trained for and which can bring harm to a patient.

Do not expect me to support your arguments that the people of your community only want BLS providers on their ambulances.

Do not expect me to support volunteer services when there can be a better way.

Do not expect me to support volunteer services when I hear "my other job".

Do not expect me to support your negative comments about patients when they aren't "exciting" enough for you.

Do not expect me to support your bashing of professions you have little knowledge of.

Do not expect me to support your comments when you are just making up "facts" without supporting data to back up what you have written.

Do not expect me to support you when you get offended when someone does ask for references to your statements.

Do not expect me to support BLS vs ALS arguments when it is about patient care.

Do not expect me to support the addition of one more "skill" so you can get another pretty patch and put off advancing your education to Paramedic.

Do not expect me to support you tricking out your POV with L/S and carry a huge bag of supplies just because it looks impressive.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Do not expect me to support your excuses for not getting education higher than 120 hours for EMT.

Do not expect me to support that it takes 3 years to master the few skills at the EMT-B level.

Do not expect me to support you doing skills for which you are not educated or properly trained for and which can bring harm to a patient.

Do not expect me to support your arguments that the people of your community only want BLS providers on their ambulances.

Do not expect me to support your negative comments about patients when they aren't "exciting" enough for you.

Do not expect me to support your bashing of professions you have little knowledge of.

Do not expect me to support your comments when you are just making up "facts" without supporting data to back up what you have written.

Do not expect me to support you when you get offended when someone does ask for references to your statements.

Do not expect me to support the addition of one more "skill" so you can get another pretty patch and put off advancing your education to Paramedic.

Do not expect me to support you tricking out your POV with L/S and carry a huge bag of supplies just because it looks impressive.

Was all of this directed towards me? Or is it a general "you"?

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
You made a general statement and I provided my response.

Understood.

For the record, I am FOR higher education. Taking the easy way out is a horrible option in many fields. In a field where lives are at stake, it is unacceptable.

In fact, I am on the same side on almost everything that you, Rid, and others are on.

I think that I just need to get used to the real world. That's all. (What I mean by this is the "tone" of the real world.)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Understood.

For the record, I am FOR higher education. Taking the easy way out is a horrible option in many fields. In a field where lives are at stake, it is unacceptable.

Excellent.

For medicine to advance, standards must be raised. Every other health care profession has understood this and while there were similar arguments presented, most did agree that they could no longer support the lowest level. Even in nursing, many do believe the 1 year certificate or vocational nurse was an excellent provider, they knew if they were to gain credibility, the standard had to be raised. The CNA is not considered a professional position but rather support staff which is how the EMT should also be viewed. I will state again that in the 1960s, the founders of modern EMS wanted to provide a higher level of care than what they had which was essentially the equivalent of today's EMT. It hasn't changed very much since my father took his advanced first-aid training course during WWII to work the ambulances. The Paramedic was to be the future but yet so many want to hang on to the past concept of "Ambulance Attendant".

I see it more disrespectful to dishonor what the founders of modern EMS had in mind. It is a disservice to the profession to continue with outdated ideas and concepts when the rest of the world has moved on in medicine and in EMS.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I see it more disrespectful to dishonor what the founders of modern EMS had in mind. It is a disservice to the profession to continue with outdated ideas and concepts when the rest of the world has moved on in medicine and in EMS.

Perfectly stated.

By the way, PM coming your way.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I think this thread can be closed.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I think this thread can be closed.

Why? It keeps coming up so why not make it a sticky and just use it rather than creating another one when peoples feelings are hurt by the truth of what EMS really is.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Why? It keeps coming up so why not make it a sticky and just use it rather than creating another one when peoples feelings are hurt by the truth of what EMS really is.

If the moderators want to do that, fine with me.

reaper

Working Bum

:beerchug:B):D

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
United we stand, Divided we fall

I really hope that people go back and read MedicHopeful's original post -- then continue on to read the rest of the posts in this thread.

MedicHopeful, I really hope you do continue in your education to become an EMT, or whatever it is you aspire to be. You have a wonderful outlook and an attitude that shines through your posts. EMS could definitely benefit from more 'advocates for respect.' -- Isn't that the point of EMS?

Maybe I am naive, or a 'bleeding heart liberal,' but no matter what I see in the world that makes me doubt my faith in humanity, I hope that I never let bitterness cloud my judgment. The system is not perfect, we can try to make it better. But the only way to do that is to work together in a mature and constructive manner.

I do appreciate the opinions of those on this site who have many more years of experience than I have. But, I do not condone your insulting and berating those with less experience -- simply because they have less experience. It is not constructive.

We're in this together. We can work together to find a positive solution that benefits us all, or we can argue over petty matters, making personal insults, and get nowhere.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just alike life, one does not automatically get respect but rather earns it. This no more true than in medicine.

Expect to prove yourself in every aspect, medicine is a very protective group and like a mother lion protecting their cub, health care professionals are in general protecting their patient.

One should not assume that it is open arms because they have enrolled into a Basic EMT course, or that they even completed a Paramedic program. Anyone can do that. If you read the posts, you will see some comradely and that is usually between those that are either students that are taking the profession serious or those that have paid their dues. That does not mean we always agree with each other, by far; but do respect each other as a provider to respect they have a different opinion and that still are a good provider.

The problem is majority of those in EMS do not understand how those in medicine is taught. I do wish EMT course would allow grand rounds and the integration process that accompanies it. The "either you get it or you get out" methodology and scrutiny of each movement and ideas. Why? Because there is nothing more serious than being responsible for someones life.

So if we come across being cold, callous or mean.. so be it. If one has the true drive and what it takes to make it in medicine, they will continue on and pursue and develop thick skin and see the whole point is having the knowledge to provide excellent care. If we eliminated some, we have just saved the system some time. If posters on a forum could distract you, just think of what a burned out, over worked ER Doc or Surgeon would do to you. We are much gentler than many in the real world.

R/r 911

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
Okay, I agree that you do need to prove your worth and everything you do needs to be in the best interest of the patient. I just don't see why we have to first assume that someone is a bad EMT with a bad attitude when that doesn't seem to be the case. I usually expect the best from people until I am proven otherwise. Often I'll find that people don't meet my expectations, but just as often, people try harder to meet my high standards than they would if I just wrote them off from the start.

I just started a new job and something I really like about the company is that they emphasize 'customer service, customer service, customer service'... Our priority is to advocate for our patients, but ultimately every medical provider is a *business*, and part of being *professional* in a business is being respectful, kind, and polite to both your customers and your peers, alike -- even if they're being rude to you.

I'm fully prepared for doctors and nurses to be rude to me and give me a hard time. I just don't think that I'll do the same, when I'm eventually in their shoes, because I don't think it's professional. If I think that someone is doing something wrong, I think that there are much better ways of handling a situation -- calmly, explaining the logic of my argument, and providing evidence for my case -- than to immediately descend into sarcasm and insults, which only quickly end the argument without allowing for further discussion.

I just think that, like they say, "you catch more flies with honey," when you treat others with respect, you create a better and more collaborative working environment. You're more likely to get what you want from the person in the future and people will really go out of their way to help you, rather than go out of their way to avoid you.

Also, this arrogant attitude that is sometimes in the profession does extend to arrogance in patient care, and I think that it's *never* okay to be rude to patients. Granted, we all have bad days. But if it's condoned for healthcare workers to be rude to other healthcare workers, these same healthcare workers WILL also be rude to their patients. It's unavoidable, and also unacceptable.

Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.