Learning 10 Codes and Signals

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I am in charge of coming up with a game or activity to help a new orientation class of EMTs learn the department 10-codes and signals. Yes, I am aware most places do not use these anymore and that plain language is best. Unfortunately, this is not my choice, and we are still required to use them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an activity I can facilitate to foster/reinforce the learning of these codes? It would be for a small group of like 8 people.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Like any language, the best way to learn them is to use them in real life. The classroom is not real life.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
How many 10-codes do you guys use?

We only use a few so it wasn't difficult to learn them but off the top of my head I can't think of a easy way to make a game out of it. They're one of those things that require blatant memorization.

Maybe make them try to have conversations with them or have them have to work one into everything they say?

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Make it into Jeopardy, print pages onto 8.5x11 sheets of paper that can be flipped over to reveal the answers. Categories (across the top of the board) could be: Vehicle Status, Responses, Administrative, Radio Problems. Then the answers could either be "10-4" and they'd have to say "What is Ok and understood?" Or the answers could be "OK and understood" and they'd have to say "What is 10-4?"

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I am in charge of coming up with a game or activity to help a new orientation class of EMTs learn the department 10-codes and signals. Yes, I am aware most places do not use these anymore and that plain language is best. Unfortunately, this is not my choice, and we are still required to use them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an activity I can facilitate to foster/reinforce the learning of these codes? It would be for a small group of like 8 people.
I just recently started at a new company and we use 10 codes. I listened to radio traffic A LOT even on time off (on my hour drive to work) so I could kind of get a feel for the new system here. I don't particularly like 10 codes but it is what it is.

For me, I just had to start using them. I had my cheat sheet and I had most of them down by the time I needed them.

Try giving the students a sheet to look over, then run through mock dispatches, calls etc.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Flash cards haha.

That would be my guess. We don't use 10 codes at all so I've never had to memorize them (the only "codes" we use are C7 and Code 4)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Also, make sure to train your noobs never to say, "Over and out." You simply can't be both "over" and "out" at the same time.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Are 10 codes required for radio communication or is it just culture?
We have a bunch of them...but I only use like 3 or 4 on a regular basis. I tend to use clear speak for everything...but for us its purely preference. 10 codes really dont save much time on the air.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Where did OP go?
When the federal government's policy makes more sense than yours, you have some catching up to do.
ICS requires plain speak I don't see why anyone should still be using legit 10 codes beyond 10-7 and such.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Where did OP go?

ICS requires plain speak I don't see why anyone should still be using legit 10 codes beyond 10-7 and such.

^This.

There's valid reasoning behind this. 10 codes need to go the way of the EOA.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
^This.

There's valid reasoning behind this. 10 codes need to go the way of the EOA.
I agree. I don't much like them. Our other public service agencies don't use them here.

Can't tell you how many times I say something like

"410 10-98 10-50, 10-8 8"

But the boss wants 10 codes so I'll use 10 codes haha.