Las Vegas - somewhat employment related...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
A mix of 911 and CCT works for me.
Agreed. An "all 911" system sounds like a sure fire way for your critical thinking skills to--more often than not--diminish. Not to mention without proper tiering, burnout.

But you know? Excitement.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
  1. Drive to the scene, all nimbly pimbly, lights and sirens blazin'.
  2. Put patient in truck.
  3. Go to hospital.
  4. Write report.

Repeat 14 more times in a 12 hour shift. Also known as AMR in Seattle.

911. Yay.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
  1. Drive to the scene, all nimbly pimbly, lights and sirens blazin'.
  2. Put patient in truck.
  3. Go to hospital.
  4. Eventually Write report, most likely 2 hours after your shift ended

Repeat 14 more times in a 12 hour shift. Also known as AMR in Evansville

911. Yay.

Fixed it [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Agreed. An "all 911" system sounds like a sure fire way for your critical thinking skills to--more often than not--diminish. Not to mention without proper tiering, burnout.
IDK about that.... I found IFTs destroyed my critical thinking skills, while at least in 911s, there was some need to use my brain. The running joke was an trained monkey could run a 911 calls... when doing IFT, you could use an untrained monkey. Maybe not all IFTs are the same, but I'll take a 911 truck over a non-emergency truck any day.

CCT, particularly unstable CCT is a much different environment.

And for the record, being a a paramedic, on a system where you need to run every call, including all the BLS ones, is a surefire way to cause your critical thinking skills to diminish. Any skills that don't get used often will atrophy.

nyislesfan42

Forum Crew Member
Envision (who I might add is about to merge with AmSurg to become the Skynet of the healthcare industry).

That was the best line I've read in a while. thank you for that.

How does the dispatching work out there? I heard its kind of a cluster now and that they used to split the strip between MWA and AMR, but now everyone is running all over the place.

Any suggestion of where the best place would be to take paramedic out there? Houston has several options for schools that have a paramedic program, does Vegas have a bunch of options or is there one place that is suggested above others?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You heard right. And it's a dream compared to AMR Houston.

They have a community college and NCTI.

MWA/AMR just hired like 40 people. Wild.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I reckon 20 get onto shifts lol.

nyislesfan42

Forum Crew Member
so it wouldnt be a good time to transfer? I woulnt transfer till Dec/Jan. would I be guaranteed to get enough hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTMD

Forum Crew Member
Anyone know the starting pay for a medic in Vegas? I've heard from someone transferring that it was possibly 55k/year with like 1-2 years of experience. Can anyone confirm or deny?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
If you transfer from an AMR owned outfit to a full time paramedic position you will keep your pay rate unless it is lower than a "step 0" medic. Step 0 and step 1 is somewhere around $15 an hour.

nyislesfan42

Forum Crew Member
what if you transfer as an AEMT @ $14/hr and go to medic school out there. would i end up taking a pay cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
IDK about that.... I found IFTs destroyed my critical thinking skills, while at least in 911s, there was some need to use my brain. The running joke was an trained monkey could run a 911 calls... when doing IFT, you could use an untrained monkey. Maybe not all IFTs are the same, but I'll take a 911 truck over a non-emergency truck any day.

CCT, particularly unstable CCT is a much different environment.

And for the record, being a a paramedic, on a system where you need to run every call, including all the BLS ones, is a surefire way to cause your critical thinking skills to diminish. Any skills that don't get used often will atrophy.
ALS IFTs can be a little different, especially when there isn't ready access to CCT. There are no ground programs in my area and the hospital is loathe to use a helicopter. So that leaves us (with better than average guidelines and education), as the one's to do all the transfers, acuity not withstanding.

Vegasmedic

Forum Crew Member
Sorry to be late to the party here but I’ll defend Community.

Community is the best of the three to work for in the valley. Our owners care about us and regularly engage with the employees to see how they can make it less like AMR. We run about 4-5 call a shift average compared to AMR/MW who run back to back calls with late calls regularly.

We pay 17.17 to start for medic and everything over 8hrs is over time and everything that is not your regular shift is paid at overtime rate.

During Football season they hold BBQs twice a week and throw work parties for every holiday. For EMS week last year we where given passes to the water park for our whole family, movie tickets for two different movies twice and dinner for our family on two different nights. I believe AMR offered there crews a BBQ that week.

Unlike AMR/MW we can not be called back out on a call after returning to station after shift and are free to leave work early once our truck and equipment is turned in.

No medic has ever been made to work as an advanced EMT here. If more time is needed your given more time to learn. We don’t hire very often because people don’t leave much unless they are going to fire.

Speaking of fire we are praised regularly by Clark County for our response times which has led to use expanding in to other areas that haven’t been put out yet but will be know soon.

Don’t be misled by what other have said Community is a great company that cares and is expanding and growing in the valley, MW on the other hand is losing part of North Las Vegas (which might be in some one else’s future). Let me know if I can tell you anything else. I don’t know if I can get PMs yet since I’m new on here.

RocketMedic

If you transfer from an AMR owned outfit to a full time paramedic position you will keep your pay rate unless it is lower than a "step 0" medic. Step 0 and step 1 is somewhere around $15 an hour.

So they don't pay for experience earned 'other' places?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So they don't pay for experience earned 'other' places?
I am not entirely sure how it works here (part time mind you), but they do pay for experience. I made a bit (probably less than a buck) when I first started than the completely green folks. This was based on time as a Colorado certified EMT oddly enough. Went right down to the basement when I got a medic spot though.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I do not believe they pay for experience gained elsewhere. If they do, you'd be in the minority, and it wouldn't be anything spectacular. Probably less than $1

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Sorry to be late to the party here but I’ll defend Community.

Community is the best of the three to work for in the valley. Our owners care about us and regularly engage with the employees to see how they can make it less like AMR. We run about 4-5 call a shift average compared to AMR/MW who run back to back calls with late calls regularly.

We pay 17.17 to start for medic and everything over 8hrs is over time and everything that is not your regular shift is paid at overtime rate.

During Football season they hold BBQs twice a week and throw work parties for every holiday. For EMS week last year we where given passes to the water park for our whole family, movie tickets for two different movies twice and dinner for our family on two different nights. I believe AMR offered there crews a BBQ that week.

Unlike AMR/MW we can not be called back out on a call after returning to station after shift and are free to leave work early once our truck and equipment is turned in.

No medic has ever been made to work as an advanced EMT here. If more time is needed your given more time to learn. We don’t hire very often because people don’t leave much unless they are going to fire.

Speaking of fire we are praised regularly by Clark County for our response times which has led to use expanding in to other areas that haven’t been put out yet but will be know soon.

Don’t be misled by what other have said Community is a great company that cares and is expanding and growing in the valley, MW on the other hand is losing part of North Las Vegas (which might be in some one else’s future). Let me know if I can tell you anything else. I don’t know if I can get PMs yet since I’m new on here.
I guess it's all about perspective. We're all one team. I'll give you that at AMR they generally treat you like disposable garbage based on the dozens of people I know in the Vegas Ops and my own stent on the AMR side. MedicWest has been good to me, so I can't complain too much. It's a great operation with good street level and operational management (at this time under current MWA leadership). The roaring feel of corporate AMR has yet to permeate completely into the MedicWest Ops.

As to getting a slice of North Las Vegas 911 contract, that's simply not true. I'll believe that when I see it. Regardless of your disdain for AMR being a former employee, Ander, you know that Community does not run the same 911 volume as AMR/MWA. Community is still currently mainly an IFT outfit with contractual agreements with Dignity Health in town. They also hold a good number of event contracts given the acquisition of a certain someone who's tenure expired at MWA. None of that is intended as a dig or a knock on Community, EMS is EMS is EMS. Just don't hard speculate on untruths on a public forum just because you think the rumor mill on contracts is factual.

They're all fine to work for, I'm sure. None of the private companies are meant to be career outfits anyways. Vegas is a great place to get some experience, and get burned out if you want to.

SapperEMS

Forum Ride Along
I heard that AMR and Medicwest in Vegas are non union? So my question is are both companies there “termination-happy”?
Hense the reason for a high turnover rate? Or people just get burnt-out quickly? I’m in a unionized AMR division now so I was just wondering how management is at both places?

RocketMedic

So did Community pick up that NLV contract after all? I was in Vegas for a few days for a family event and got curious late last year.

I left MWA in the beginning of 2008, so my info is a decade old, but I remember that the special events manager was a total fop who loudly objected to 11 days notice and I think he stayed a long time at MWA. Brian Rodgers, on the other hand, shook my hand and thanked me for enlisting and wasn't a fop. Brian went to Community, so if I had to choose, I'd choose the one that wasn't Calabrese lol.