Las Vegas Fire looking to take over transports from AMR

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I am a fan of the Fire Medic retaining care on critical calls if they have already provided interventions or gotten the majority of the information gathered. from a patient care standpoint information will not as easily be lost or forgotten and there will be less of a delay in transporting because time will not be wasted giving me report. besides it gives me time during the transport to get a head start on my documentation.

as an example, I recently had a stroke patient who the fire medic was on scene of for about 5 min prior to my arrival. I then got the gurney ready for the patient so he had the patient for about 10 minutes prior to giving me report. the report I got was unknown downtime, unwitnessed event, the patient was non-verbal. we treated as such, transported non-emergent and gave report as unknown downtime. family later told the hospital that the downtime was only 40 minutes. it turns out that they had told the fire medic this as well and it was either not communicated to me or I didn't hear it. However this discovery was too late for TPA and it ended up being a sentinel event. had the fire medic transported with me this information would have gotten to the doctor and proper treatment could have been provided. this is why I like the first medic on scene to retain care for sick patients.

That's good to hear their not going to try the same thing. I don't get the whole thing about jumping in the back of the private ambulance to continue care when you already have a paramedic transporting, it's not hard to give them all the info they got but that's just a opinion. If they work together well then great for them.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
That's good to hear their not going to try the same thing. I don't get the whole thing about jumping in the back of the private ambulance to continue care when you already have a paramedic transporting, it's not hard to give them all the info they got but that's just a opinion. If they work together well then great for them.

That just sounds like you have a gripe against fire medics and are afraid your ego's clashing.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
That just sounds like you have a gripe against fire medics and are afraid your ego's clashing.

I don't have anything against fire medics actually, I just didn't get the point of them continuing patient care. But from what some people are saying there are times where it's a good thing. I just think it's really important for fire and privates to work great with each other and have a great relationships to.

mined

Forum Ride Along
Certainly there are pros and cons to a split system. On the one hand the ffmedic would get back to the action faster if they turn over care. On the other hand can they guarantee continuity of care for their patient. Yes, on paper a medic is a medic, however, we have all seen paper medics. FF/ medics in all area are held to a higher standard they everyone else. They do not ride the lazy boy or hang out in the gym all day. when they are not on a call they train and train and then they train some more. We are still the Johnny and Roy of old who perform on multiple levels am do it well. As for the money side of it, municipalities that bill patients do so under the same guided lines as private care companies including the handling of medicare and medicaid. The bottom line is that 80% of fire calls are EMS related and the departments should be capitalizing resources that direction while maintaining a fire ready status. Keep in mind they are only running 911, they are not running the other 98% of the private calls like interfacility transports, dialysis runs, and clinic visits. I have been in the system for 30 years so I have seen it all, don't be afraid AMR be happy you can now dedicate to the other 98%.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Certainly there are pros and cons to a split system. On the one hand the ffmedic would get back to the action faster if they turn over care. On the other hand can they guarantee continuity of care for their patient. Yes, on paper a medic is a medic, however, we have all seen paper medics. FF/ medics in all area are held to a higher standard they everyone else. They do not ride the lazy boy or hang out in the gym all day. when they are not on a call they train and train and then they train some more. We are still the Johnny and Roy of old who perform on multiple levels am do it well. As for the money side of it, municipalities that bill patients do so under the same guided lines as private care companies including the handling of medicare and medicaid. The bottom line is that 80% of fire calls are EMS related and the departments should be capitalizing resources that direction while maintaining a fire ready status. Keep in mind they are only running 911, they are not running the other 98% of the private calls like interfacility transports, dialysis runs, and clinic visits. I have been in the system for 30 years so I have seen it all, don't be afraid AMR be happy you can now dedicate to the other 98%.

Seriously?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

I... don't even know where to start.... so much ignorance

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Data indicates some new issues!

http://m.reviewjournal.com/news/fir...medics-abandoning-poor-minority-neighborhoods

Apparently, LVFR is transporting those wealthier patients and leaving the poorer and less fortunate without ability to pay for AMR to transport. And sometimes there is an extended delay while they decide whether they can respond to the wealthier neighborhoods.

I don't see this going anywhere but South on LVFR if this preliminary data is verified. How do you respond to claims as a government organization dedicated to serve when you get called out for only helping people who can pay?! So then this was always about money (as I suggested early on) and not about patient care evidently.

terrible one

Always wandering

Love it! I think you'd be more at home at firehouse.com with the real heroes.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Glad to know the FD medics here are training constantly while I just sit here...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
what area are you in? and are you one of the said superfiremedics?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
He drives and techs... At the same time. Super Duper!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Only warning. Keep it civil and on topic. Fire vs Private battles almost always get nasty and if this one does, I'm comin' back swinging.
7uzesyzu.jpg

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Only warning. Keep it civil and on topic. Fire vs Private battles almost always get nasty and if this one does, I'm comin' back swinging.
7uzesyzu.jpg

You can't hit me neener neener lol

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Transport Jockey! Can I write your eulogy after DE gets back?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Transport Jockey! Can I write your eulogy after DE gets back?

Nah, he's already filled up his obligatory one post "what happened" internet eulogy with his sig. There's his name, his certs, 1 obligatory ems related quote, and one forum quote. What more can you ask. Add in his User CP and you can run it in the paper :D

Last edited by a moderator:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Nah, he's already filled up his obligatory one post "what happened" internet eulogy with his sig. There's his name, his certs, 1 obligatory ems related quote, and one forum quote. What more can you ask. Add in his User CP and you can run it in the paper :D

For some reason I now want to make sure that my NREMTP number will be on my headstone when I die.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Lol I like your thinking :)

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
All of the LVFR fire medics I talk to are sooooo over this. They are already burnt. Generally the outlying stations are taking the hit. The busier districts haven't changed that much; say maybe 4 more transports per day.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Sure fire medics train and train and train on fire suppression, not EMS.

Fire medics are held to a higher standard my ***, I take offense to that post. There's very few fire medics I'd let touch me or my family.