Las Vegas Fire looking to take over transports from AMR

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
It will be very interesting if the rulings are against the fire dept.. Could change how ambulances tracked and dispatched.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Interdasting

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
To me, a system is fundamentally flawed when a 911 ambulance around the corner isn't dispatched to a centralized GSW while another takes 26 minutes to respond.

Of course this is only one piece of the issue, but it's simply more ammunition for AMR. It's hard to keep getting votes and city council members on the side of the FD when the court of public opinion sees this kind of thing on the news. Since I haven't followed this lately, how is LVFR doing on ramping up their EMS staffing? Is this kind of response delay common or more of an exception?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Unless they're doing a lot of internal promotions, I haven't seen a lot of postings for testing or anything for medics from LVFD...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
There is a lot of hiring going on within the region - generally announcements are only open for a few days or a week and may have a cap (fills quickly). All of the major departments have academies going on now or starting in August. Also, there will be more to come. LVFR, in particular, I heard is bringing on a boatload. A couple more academies at least, is the latest gossip. A LOT of people I know got picked up- it's a good time to be a well qualified applicant in the Vegas region.

Personally, I applied for only one of the departments as opposed to a blanket spread... Just waiting to see if I get the call for one of the upcoming academies.

As for now, other things are cooking.

Anyone interested should keep their eyes open on the region.

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
And to the 911 comment. Yes, it is a flaw that they didn't dispatch the 911 AMR unit to that particular call. Which is why it is going to Federal Court.

This went down when the heat was turned up and the fire department started their transporting campaign. It was a power play to shut AMR out of the CAD... Unfortunately, it MAY have cost lives. That has yet to be determined.

You could say I have a bias as a private guy, but that is disingenuous. As a member of the community I find it shocking and unforgivable. That could have been me, or someone I know- left for 26 minutes while the Level 1 was only a 5 minute or less ride away... While I don't know every particular of that call, I know that there was indeed a unit seconds away - stage time or not - that was bypassed in favor of politics. I live in the first due justification of LVFR. So I take it personally. - Citizen rant over

Anyways--- EMS wise, so far... I haven't noticed a huge change- just see a lot more fire guys at the ERs.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
The storm: Las Vegas Fire Facing Two Federal Court Wrongful Death Suits Over EMS Response

http://www.firelawblog.com/2015/07/...court-wrongful-death-suits-over-ems-response/

Interesting. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. One of the most notable cases was the death of a man stabbed, where an AMR rig was literally 20 seconds away near a McD's parking lot, but did not get the call. It was given to a fire unit, which was farther away, delaying treatment by several minutes, resulting in the death of the patient.

I predict this will go on and on and on for a long time. Settlements are not what they're after.

Very interesting! Where I work, it's a similar situation. We (private amb) Are required to have medics but we technically have the BLS contract so we do the bs calls only unless they run out of fire medic units. But if there's a code around the corner from us the fire medics instead are sent even if they are all the way across town. I don't think the public or even the hospitals have any idea that sort of political bs goes on.