Las Vegas EMS Updates?

0theories

Forum Probie
I just got my medic in Oregon this week (yay!). I love Oregon but opportunities here for non-fire medics are very limited. I currently work as a basic for a private BLS company but it looks like they don't have paramedic openings at the moment. That's a good thing because it helps push me forward (read: ALS) instead of keeping safe and comfortable where I'm at :) I'm free and looking to move someplace busy with good scope (we RSI here) and high call volume. Las Vegas and Austin are my top choices (want a place I can ride a motorcycle year round...). I've been reading older posts about both and was wondering if there are any significant changes in the last couple of years. I'm shooting for remote-international in 3 years so just trying to acquire the highest quality and quantity of knowledge and experience in that time. Any tips would really help. Do I just look online and fill out applications? What are the requirements for testing and interviews. Do I have to go down in person? (When I was a scientist most interviews were over the phone that's why I'm asking) Thanks!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Any testing process is going to require you to travel.

Austin/Travis County EMS you're going to have to work as a Basic for a year before you can test to promote to Paramedic. Their protocols are definitely not ones that most would call progressive. (No RSI).

Vegas you have AMR and Medic West. Both are supposed to be decent to work for, not sure about protocols but I don't believe that either does RSI.

That being said RSI isn't the end all be all of "progressive" protocols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

0theories

Forum Probie
Thanks for your reply. Looks like Vegas it is... I read up on a bunch of posts from '13 - '14 about AMR and MW there. Was just wondering if anything changed in the last couple of years. Oh, RSI was just an example I used because I know it varies so much throughout the country. Speaking of which, where would people say the most "progressive" (read: allow the most invasive procedures/drugs) protocols in the US be found?

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Thanks for your reply. Looks like Vegas it is... I read up on a bunch of posts from '13 - '14 about AMR and MW there. Was just wondering if anything changed in the last couple of years. Oh, RSI was just an example I used because I know it varies so much throughout the country. Speaking of which, where would people say the most "progressive" (read: allow the most invasive procedures/drugs) protocols in the US be found?

technically vegas does have rsi. if you're an expanded scope medic.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
There is a thread up in "EMS talk" I think... about the whole Vegas Fire vs AMR thing. Last I read, sounds like AMR is getting only the BS calls while FD takes true ALS. But idk maybe that changed recently?

okayestEMT

Forum Probie
I worked for Austin - Travis County EMS as a Medic - I (basic) and loved it. Not sure if I would have enjoyed it as much as a medic. Try Williamson County EMS, 15-30 mins from Downtown Austin, dual medic system, and they have RSI.

Last edited:

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
I know of many fire departments in Oregon that are hiring EMS only Medics. You should look around.

OP
OP

0theories

Forum Probie
Hi LanceCorpsman, do you know of any specifically. I'm a resident volunteer and see hiring notifications often (mostly west side). I know of a bunch that are hiring, but none for ems only...