Laptop For EMT training?

Monroej3

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys! I am going to be going into my EMT courses in the fall and I am wondering if I need a laptop for my courses? I understand each program is going to be different from the next and have contacted my course supervisor, but I am wondering what you guys think. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
A laptop specifically? You can probably get by without one however you will likely need access to some sort of computer for assignments.

OP
OP
M

Monroej3

Forum Ride Along
A laptop specifically? You can probably get by without one however you will likely need access to some sort of computer for assignments.
Okay, I plan on going to college following the semester of my cert and just want to be proactive.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you don't NEED to buy a laptop for an EMT class; you likely WILL need some computer, to do assignments.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of having laptops in EMT class (and I say that as an instructor who ALWAYS brings his laptop to EMT classes). They are simply too distracting, with social media, and internet access, and a whole bunch of other stuff. But If a student is actually using it to take notes, and be productive, than more power to them. I think there is very little needs for a laptop, especially to purchase a new laptop, for EMT class.

If you are going to college, especially away to college, than I would absolutely invest in a laptop. back in the day, I only used desktops, and RDPed into my desktop from any on campus computer when I lived on campus. but when I got a laptop, and had all my files at my fingertips...... well, it was worth it. I've had my laptop for at least 8 years now, and have upgraded the HD (and am looking to do so again to a hybrid SSD one), and the memory (which has allowed me to keep it for so long), but now I might just buy a new one. Its a worthwhile investment for any college student.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
For college in general, yes. A laptop is necessary. For a single course like EMT, not really. You could probably just use a Library computer to complete assignments.

But, if you need one for school, you might as well get one. You might end up putting EMT test prep software on it.

I would recommend a macbook or a surface pro.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you are tight for money all you really need is a basic laptop that can go on the internet, play videos, and allow you to type up assignments. Those can easily be found in the $200-$300 range.

OP
OP
M

Monroej3

Forum Ride Along
I will be taking 6 total EMT classes for my certification and then going to get my bachelors in microbiology. I have a gen 2 surface pro and it doesn’t really work well at all anymore and was heavily considering MacBook Pro.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I will be taking 6 total EMT classes for my certification and then going to get my bachelors in microbiology. I have a gen 2 surface pro and it doesn’t really work well at all anymore and was heavily considering MacBook Pro.

I have a surface pro 3 and a MacBook Pro. I use the MacBook Pro a lot more often. If I could only get one computer for school, I would get a MacBook Pro.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Man... I don't intend to sound like the "old fart" (I'm only 24) but when I did EMT school I had my EMT book, a notebook, and a pen.

Sidenote... when I brought my laptop a couple times to paramedic school I just ended up looking at guns and gun parts instead of listening to lectures... all the other times I used "old skool" pen and paper.

Bishop2047

Forum Crew Member
Also be sure to find out what your program utilizes for clinicals.

Some utilize programs such as Comtracker to keep track of skill sign offs and such, and were best suited for use on a tablet.

Don't want to spend money on one item that you don't need.

I for one need to see things in my own handwriting to remember it, but I am a simpleton.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If I could only get one computer for school, I would get a MacBook Pro.
I too love my MacBook. I don’t know that I could go with another laptop moving forward.
Man... I don't intend to sound like the "old fart" (I'm only 24) but when I did EMT school I had my EMT book, a notebook, and a pen.
This is still my approach to just about any class, or course that I take.
I for one need to see things in my own handwriting to remember it, but I am a simpleton.
I think there’s, like, science and stuff, behind this theory.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
To answer your initial question, I don't think you need a laptop with you in class. I would absolutely have a computer at home.

During my undergrad and my EMT school laptops weren't prevalent like they are today. I took my notes on lined paper and in most classes re-typed them when I got home. When I take an EMT course in a few months I plan to do the same. The act of taking the notes and then re-typing them is crucial to me learning and remembering the material.

As far as laptops:

For grad school I purchased a cheap refurbished laptop for $400 and used it all of the time. It got daily use in grad school and then at my job for six years.

If I were purchasing a laptop that I'd use through undergrad I'd likely purchase a Dell XPS 13 or a Microsoft Surface. I have a Macbook Pro that I rarely use and I struggle with the OS.

Good luck!

teufulhund

Forum Probie
you don't NEED to buy a laptop for an EMT class; you likely WILL need some computer, to do assignments.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of having laptops in EMT class (and I say that as an instructor who ALWAYS brings his laptop to EMT classes). They are simply too distracting, with social media, and internet access, and a whole bunch of other stuff. But If a student is actually using it to take notes, and be productive, than more power to them. I think there is very little needs for a laptop, especially to purchase a new laptop, for EMT class.

If you are going to college, especially away to college, than I would absolutely invest in a laptop. back in the day, I only used desktops, and RDPed into my desktop from any on campus computer when I lived on campus. but when I got a laptop, and had all my files at my fingertips...... well, it was worth it. I've had my laptop for at least 8 years now, and have upgraded the HD (and am looking to do so again to a hybrid SSD one), and the memory (which has allowed me to keep it for so long), but now I might just buy a new one. Its a worthwhile investment for any college student.
Too bounce off this statement. Highly recommend you just bring in some paper and a pen for notes. Like a lot of people said having a laptop in class is way to distracting for most and I find physically writing down notes is a better way of learning. Unless you’re like the UCLA graduate who was way ahead of everyone, who brought in his laptop and did all the tests in class then slept for the rest of the day like a madman.

OP
OP
M

Monroej3

Forum Ride Along
Thank you everyone for the replies!! I am going to get a macbook pro and I actually enrolled for the summer semester that starts June 3rd. I would have class from 8am-12pm then an hour for lunch then class till 5pm M-Th. I'll most likely use my laptop during lunch break to study and do assignments. Then in the fall I'll be taking more classes for my microbiology degree.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd rather take notes on my tablet. I can type significantly faster than I can write and the nicer ones allow you to just jot down notes onto a copy of the slides you are looking at. Best of both worlds and you can easily bounce between the two. Using that mix of typed notes and hand written notes onto slides using tablets is what a lot of us did for the CCP course I was in.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Good luck with your MBP. Louis Rossman will be there for you when you're ready...

Luckily, you probably won’t ever need to fix a Mac as long as you don’t drop it. I’ve owned 6 MacBook Pro’s over the last 20 years and never needed a single repair. My wife, sisters, mother, most coworkers and classmates all do as well, and the only repairs I’ve ever heard of were related to dropping the MacBooks. I’ve owned 2 surface pro’s in the last 5 years, and while I love them and still recommend them, they have both needed repairs and never been dropped. Obviously my experience is subjective, but I would bet that MacBooks in general need less repairs than their competitors.

OP
OP
M

Monroej3

Forum Ride Along
Luckily, you probably won’t ever need to fix a Mac as long as you don’t drop it. I’ve owned 6 MacBook Pro’s over the last 20 years and never needed a single repair. My wife, sisters, mother, most coworkers and classmates all do as well, and the only repairs I’ve ever heard of were related to dropping the MacBooks. I’ve owned 2 surface pro’s in the last 5 years, and while I love them and still recommend them, they have both needed repairs and never been dropped. Obviously my experience is subjective, but I would bet that MacBooks in general need less repairs than their competitors.
I myself have had a surface pro and have had to send it in for repairs multiple times. I am very familiar with the interfaces of both mac and windows. I do prefer mac. I have also heard that with my degree path after EMT that most of the databases I will be accessing for research will be able to be accessed with the mac os or with bootcamp booting both mac and windows if i need.